• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #4 - AUG 7, 8pm, SN - Not like this

Yeah, I really don't get it. He's treated like he's prime Cujo/Belfour in Toronto. He's (usually...not this year) a good starter, but just a good one. In the modern NHL probably better suited for being a 1A in a platoon.

We need Jack tonight.
Leafs need to draft Askarov. He is your missing piece.

Columbus were 6th in GA this year. They dont give up much to even the best of teams
So you're saying don't over pay for offense if you're just going to run into a strong defensive team?

Freddy has his share of blame but yeah, there are some big-time offensive players making some big-time money to put the puck in the net. Often.

Leafs are rocking a 5.83 sh% this series. That's nearly half their usual rate. This is one of the issues with a short series -- regressions take a while. Let's hope the gods of regression smile down tonight and Sunday.

So you're saying don't over pay for offense if your just going to run into a strong defensive team?

Freddy has his share of blame but yeah, there are some big-time offensive players making some big-time money to put the puck in the net. Often.

Nope not saying that at all

The Habs are doing to Pittsburgh what CBJ is doing to the Leafs and I'm of the mind that it is because it is easier for players to ramp up the defense than offense after a long layoff. This is why you're seeing defensive teams do better in the qualifiers. Make it out of this round and the offense should start coming into line.

The difference of course is that Price has made the big save when needed. Freddy not so much.

I think they go with Freddy tonight but he will be on a short leash.

Muffins on both sides last night. Korpisalo was crap.

Leafs stopped skating after their 3rd goal and barely tested Elvis. Add in poor decision making and too may lost puck battles, and a team is forced to rely on Prestoluck/fx to win.

I've always felt that the series was even enough that Prestoluck would be a huge factor. Outside of game 2, that has held true thus far.

I will say that Burtch putting the entire blame on Mo Rielly is annoying me. I don't entirely disagree that he's one dimensional but it's about as annoying as any typical Preston crusade.

So you're saying don't over pay for offense if you're just going to run into a strong defensive team?

Leafs playoff totals last 4 years.... the only guy with more than 5 goals is AM.

After that...

marner 5
Kappy 4
jt 3
Willy 3
Rielly 3

I will say that Burtch putting the entire blame on Mo Rielly is annoying me. I don't entirely disagree that he's one dimensional but it's about as annoying as any typical Preston crusade.
I thought Rielly was one of the better Leafs last night. Im also not sure there is another elite D in the NHL saddled with such shit partners

Rielly is one dimensional if we're only counting elite dimensions and we act like transition and offence are the same things.

Rielly is mediocre at defensive zone coverage by the numbers. Not ghastly, just average. He's elite in transition (both directions) and elite offensively.

I love you. But one thing I'll correct: Columbus and Toronto were tied in the regular season. These are two pretty good, not great but not bad, hockey teams. Our expectations that Toronto SHOULD be better doesn't really change that. The reality is this isn't some David vs Goliath series. It's going about how I expected it with small bounces, luck and mediocre goaltending deciding games 1 and 3. Game 2 was all Leafs though and overall (cumulatively) Leafs have the edge in play by a decent amount. But that doesn't always mean they'll get the results in this beautiful but maddening sport.

Thing is, this is not the greatest defensive unit in the history of the game or anything. They’re strong defensively. But aren’t we at least as strong, or dare I say, stronger offensively? Do they have an amazing goalie? What exactly is our forwards’ excuse for not scoring more? We had one actual goal yesterday. Two the game before. Zero before that. I mean, come on, not one criticism of any forward except Tavares who is apparently the only guy making $11m on the team.

I’m not saying Freddy has been amazing. But he posted one shutout. He gave up one goal in the first game. And yesterday was beat on seeing eye shots and breakaways after we literally stopped playing. He’s far, far from our main problem this series. People crying for Lehner. Would he have done better than giving up one goal in the first two games? I mean, enough with the goalie scapegoating already. It’s ridiculous.

Reactions: CH1
Also ever notice these trade one of the big 4 ( always Nylander) for a D can never name a D that makes sense?

I tried to cone up with Marner trade ideas in case you won the Laf sweeps ands its really tough to find the value. Especially if you want a player of similar age

xgf% - all situations

1. PIT 65.3
2. CGY 61.5
3. CAR 57.6
4. TOR 57.1
5. FLA 54.1
6. MIN 53.2
7. EDM 53.2
8. NSH 50.7

Back