• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #51 MAY 1 HNIC - Therapist

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Damn... Mario was amazing. Considerably better than Matthews and McDavid combined.

Mario just played the game differently, saw it differently. The speed that he processed the game at was incredible.

My favourite "Mario is on another level" moment was from the 2002 olympics.

At the 45 second mark...

Nobody does this at the this level, the game is just too fast to process like this, HD chances like this are too precious to risk wasting. Dummying is a common high skill play in footy, but in hockey is more or less unheard of. To have that level of awareness to know that a pass is going to be on your winger's tape is obscene. Tied gold medal game, the entire country was on edge and still embarassed from the 98 shootout loss to the Czech's. One of the highest pressure games of Mario's career and he's dummying passes to slot opportunities to freeze the American goalie? Fucking insane levels of hockey IQ.

All the physically skilled plays he made in his career are nuts. Watching him dangle two defenders, bull rush the net, etc...super impressive. But we've seen Rick Nash and guys of that level score goals as pretty with raw physical talent. What made Mario different was that "chess not checkers" view of the game. He just processed shit different, saw it different. Wayne is the only guy I've ever seen with that same level of hockey IQ.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Elimination Games...

Game 6 vs Washington 17:51 (went to OT)
Game 7 vs Boston 18:06
Game 7 vs Boston 18:48

Patty needed to be out there!

Volcanologist

Not saying Marner is at Mario level obviously but I see the same type of higher-level anticipation and IQ from him compared to the vast majority of other players. His ability to improvise and change something into a different play is amazing.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Not saying Marner is at Mario level obviously but I see the same type of higher-level anticipation and IQ from him compared to the vast majority of other players. His ability to improvise and change something into a different play is amazing.

Because he doesn't have the ability to use size and reach to patiently wait for angles and plays to develop while he's in traffic he uses dangles and shiftiness, but he definitely sees the game on some sort of slow-mo setting man. Yeah, definitely the same type of hockey IQ, just not dialed up to as ridiculous a level.

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
Mario just played the game differently, saw it differently. The speed that he processed the game at was incredible.

My favourite "Mario is on another level" moment was from the 2002 olympics.

At the 45 second mark...

Nobody does this at the this level, the game is just too fast to process like this, HD chances like this are too precious to risk wasting. Dummying is a common high skill play in footy, but in hockey is more or less unheard of. To have that level of awareness to know that a pass is going to be on your winger's tape is obscene. Tied gold medal game, the entire country was on edge and still embarassed from the 98 shootout loss to the Czech's. One of the highest pressure games of Mario's career and he's dummying passes to slot opportunities to freeze the American goalie? Fucking insane levels of hockey IQ.

All the physically skilled plays he made in his career are nuts. Watching him dangle two defenders, bull rush the net, etc...super impressive. But we've seen Rick Nash and guys of that level score goals as pretty with raw physical talent. What made Mario different was that "chess not checkers" view of the game. He just processed shit different, saw it different. Wayne is the only guy I've ever seen with that same level of hockey IQ.
Yeah, that's the classic example for sure. Not only having the ability to think at that high a level, but the restraint to not take the shot at glory there is also impressive.

I don't think he's quite Mario and Wayne level cerebral... but Crosby is in that category too. I don't think he was ever as talented as those two, but his work ethic is unparalleled (at least for a superstar) and his IQ is up there.

JackBurton

Elimination Games...

Game 6 vs Washington 17:51 (went to OT)
Game 7 vs Boston 18:06
Game 7 vs Boston 18:48

He threw those series away...

The upsetting part is in 2019 when Columbus beat Tampa in the 1st round and Colorado won their series, Panarin and Mackinnon were playing 24 minutes a night.

I also think when you obsess so much on "Line-matching" you are coaching scared. You are allowing the oppositions' coach to determine who you play.

Last edited:

BG

Don't see it mentioned here, but I thought this was a next-level move last night from 34:

zeke

Don't see it mentioned here, but I thought this was a next-level move last night from 34:

ridiculous.

(and credit to mo as well for reading it so well. mo is a bit of a genius when it comes to keep-ins himself).