• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes at Kraken, 11/24, 10PM Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The site was down this morning so I'll risk doing the game day thread, I guess.

Carolina tries to get back on the W horse in Seattle against Ronnie Franchise's franchise. Seattle has scuffled through the early stages on their inaugural season, currently sitting dead last in the woeful Pacific with a 5-12-1 record. Their offense has been meager, but they play a pretty good possession game ... which has all been undone by terrible goaltending. That they spent the majority of their long term money on goaltending has to hurt, although Francis getting the goaltending wrong seems to be an issue someone could have predicted going in ... one would think. It's also warm hugs night for old friends Hayden Fleury and Morgan Geekie. Somebody go knock those guys off the puck for old times sake, yeah?

Carolina? Yeah, they're coming off of a kind of ugly, tired looking loss in San Jose on Monday night. Presumably Andersen will return to the crease tonight, but the offense has been erratic of late either way. Encouragingly, Aho seems to have found 3rd gear and the first line is flying and Kotkaniemi is driving the 4th line to better results. That usually means good things for the Canes, but both Staal's unit and Trocheck's unit have been scratching dirt lately. Bear being out really messes with the balance on D as well. Time to channel Tripp and dig in a little bit. It would be nice to finish the West Coast swing with a nice fat W.

ThinIce

Encouragingly, Aho seems to have found 3rd gear and the first line is flying and Kotkaniemi is driving the 4th line to better results. That usually means good things for the Canes, but both Staal's unit and Trocheck's unit have been scratching dirt lately.
Agree, we need to see some awesomeness on the 2nd and 3rd line. They've been pretty mediocre lately (Nino's long slide notwithstanding). Sara Civ had a really good interview with old pal, John Forslund in The Athletic, so I hope we get to see an on-camera interview with Tripp/Mike tonight.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
What are our options to watch the Kraken's broadcast with ol' what's his name doing the play-by-play. :)
The game is available on ESPN+ and they generally give you an option to watch either team's broadcast. Not sure if that works for Canes games in market just because I haven't watched one of their games on the service yet. I've been watching on D Stream.

cmaleski2

I've run into blackouts with ESPN+ for Canes games (at least the one time I made that effort). Not sure if that will happen again tonight, but if you are going to try to partake in the Forslund call and are in the Triangle be prepared to deploy a workaround if you have one.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Fleury has been a healthy scratch the last 2 games. Predictably, the Fleury bros on Twitter are outraged. I find the outrage funny; IMO, he never got beyond a 3rd pairing guy.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Walt Ruff says take a deep breath, this is what he saw at the skate for lines:

Martinook - Aho - Jarvis
Lorentz/Stepan - Tro - Teravainen
Svechnikov - Staal - Fast
Niederreiter - Kotkaniemi - Necas

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Fleury has been a healthy scratch the last 2 games. Predictably, the Fleury bros on Twitter are outraged. I find the outrage funny; IMO, he never got beyond a 3rd pairing guy.
Of course he wasn't. Anyone who saw anything different just wanted to see it so badly that they disconnected their brain. Routinely when that guy had even one decent looking shift in a game, the Fleury Army on Twitter would start demanding he get 20 minutes a night ... because clearly all that was holding their hero back was utilization. Idiots, the lot of them.

StormChaserBH

Walt Ruff says take a deep breath, this is what he saw at the skate for lines:

Martinook - Aho - Jarvis
Lorentz/Stepan - Tro - Teravainen
Svechnikov - Staal - Fast
Niederreiter - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Important to note like always, that's just the starting point. Forcing Seattle to pick their poison I guess; each line has a couple legit threats. And giving KK a legit shot at driving a scoring line, however you number it. It's putting a lot of pressure on young Jarvis though, because if he's off (which rookies are allowed to do once in a while) it strands Aho out there alone in terms of carrying the play & being dangerous.... But if Rod sees that, I'm sure he'll engage the MixMaster again and it won't look like that anymore.

HNIM

With coast to coast travel tomorrow (assuming they don’t do a team red eye, which would be absurd), and an afternoon start Friday, I hold out little hope for a result in Philly. So I hope they can figure out something tonight.

cmaleski2

Ok, so those lines are weird, and I hate having Martinook out there with Aho, ever!

But we did just come off a game where our offense was pretty stale. You can also think about it this way, if the Canes really start the game rolling with those lines, if you are Seattle, which of those lines are you matching up with your Ryan Donato-Morgan Geekie-Colin Blackwell line? There is no matchup to hide those guys against if the Canes are rolling those 4 lines.

CanadaCanes

That penalty call was embarrassing…that’s the type of clip you send to the league and ask them to use it in basic officiating training 101.
Canes playing half assed, no high gear mode tonight apparently.