• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Boston 12/1 7:00 PM

cmaleski2

Canes in Boston tonight to play the Bruins. Fox Sports Carolina for TV

Bruins sit at 12-10-1 for 25 points, just out of a wild card spot and 4th in the Atlantic Division. Their biggest issue has been goal scoring, which on a per game average is actually worse then the struggling Canes. They are 6th best in the NHL at allowing goals though which has allowed them to post a winning record. They are a pedestrian 15.5% on the PP (20th) but are 4th best in PK%. Offensively they are like the struggling Canes teams over the past few years, generating a lot of shots (33.0 per game, 2nd in the NHL) but just not scoring.

Brad Marchand paces the Bruins with 20 points (7 goals). David Pastrnak has 13 goals. Otherwise the Bruins other high paid stars have been struggling to produce goals. Bergeron has a mere 6 points in 20 games.

In goal Tukka Rask has amazing numbers, a 12-4-1 record with a 1.64 GAA and .938 Sv%. Their backups have been a progression of disasters, from Anton Khudobin to Zane McIntyre to Malcom Subbon. They are a collective 0-6-0 with terrible GAAs and Sv%s that are inexcusable. We will see Tukka for sure tonight.

Canes will still be without Staal tonight. Only Stalberg and the 4th line could generate any offense in our 3-2 loss Tuesday, so I suspect Peters might shake up the other 3 lines.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
GDT: Canes @ Bruins 12/1 7:00

Welcome to December, as the Canes make their first visit this season to the Hub.

The Bruins are a .500 club at home, 5-5. They're coming off a 3-2, 9 round shootout loss to the Flyers on Tuesday. They sit 4th in the Atlantic, with 25 points in 23 games. Supreme pest Brad Marchand leads with 13 assists and 20 points. David Pastrnak has 13 goals. Old friend Riley Nash has played all 23 games, averaging 14 minutes per night. JM Liles had also played every game before sliding head first into the boards on Sunday. Anton Khudobin is 0-3, with a 3.41 GAA and .878 save %. After a relatively subpar season last year, Tukka Rask has bounced back with a vengeance, leading the league with a 1.64 GAA and 5th with a .938 save %

The Canes once again choked away a lead on Tuesday, turning a 2-0 lead into a 3-2 loss. Viktor Stalberg picked up 2 more goals, giving him 6 for the season, 2/3 of what he scored last year. With only 12 healthy forwards (unless McGinn is ready), the only changes will be line juggling. Ward probably goes in goal. With a back to back this weekend, Leighton probably gets one of them.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

cmaleski2

That's a good point about the Saturday/Sunday back to backs for the Canes. You have the Rangers again, still the top scoring team in the league and the Bolts, the 7th highest scoring team in the league. If I had to guess I would think we would want to play Leighton vs. the Rangers at MSG Saturday afternoon and Cam at home on Sunday vs. the Bolts. That assumes that Peters is going to allow Cam that rest opportunity, our next games after that are Wednesday at Anaheim and Thursday at LA. At some point here Cam might need to play both ends of back to backs unless we have faith in Leighton.

Canes sure could use a win tonight because @NYR, TB, @Anaheim, @LA, @SJ, is about as daunting a stretch of games as the Canes will see all season. Including tonight, these next 6 games are all situations where the Canes are going to get knocked around by much bigger and more physical teams. Doesn't look good on paper, especially with the Canes struggling offensively.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah. Ronnie likes to set milestones for evaluating where his team is in terms of progress, and the end of the upcoming West Coast swing is as good a time as any. I suspect he won't like what he sees. I also suspect that the problems and thus the solutions sit right there in his office ... in the form of a tiny budget and some bad personnel decisions.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Lineup from the morning skate:

Skinner/Rask/Lindholm
Aho/Teravainen/Stempniak
McGinn/Ryan/PDG
Nordstrom/McClement/Stalberg

Hainsey/Faulk
Slavin/Pesce
Hanifin/Tennyson

No word on goalie, but I assume Ward. So McGinn draws back into the lineup and reunites with what was arguably our best line in pre-season.

CanadaCanes

Yeah. Ronnie likes to set milestones for evaluating where his team is in terms of progress, and the end of the upcoming West Coast swing is as good a time as any. I suspect he won't like what he sees. I also suspect that the problems and thus the solutions sit right there in his office ... in the form of a tiny budget and some bad personnel decisions.

If it was as easy as putting Ponytail Pete Karmanos out to pasture then all problems solved moving forward with a new owner who cares!!! We can dream cant we?

Tryamw

Lost Lindholm in the third :(

Can't hold onto the lead (Yet again.....:beatdeadhorse5:)

So Will we lose in Regular OT or the shoot out?

Last edited:

Tryamw

Well Since November Ward hasn't been the reason we lost. good job on the OT PK. (Not complete yet)

Skinner missed his second breakaway. Shoot out it is.

Last edited:

TheBigKahuna

I love when Tripp says a shooter or goalie "probably thought" several sentences worth of thoughts about a shooter or goalies tendencies, on a breakaway.

HurryCanes

Another good showing for Cam
Teravainen sux right now
Really Peters? Noah on the shootout?
Take the point and move on.

bagopux

Canes have the worst record in the league when leading after 2 periods and the second-worst record when leading after the first period.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Canes have the worst record in the league when leading after 2 periods and the second-worst record when leading after the first period.

Last year, we lost 5 games when leading after 2 periods. We've already tied that through 23 games.

ThinIce

All true, but despite my anger at losing the lead with 30 seconds to go, I thought we played a pretty damn good game. We've got to figure out a way to maintain control when the other team's desperation level rises. I can't recall if we've scored an empty net goal so far this year, but making teams pay when they pull their goalie would be an excellent way to preserve a win.

SlapShots

Once again, not enough done in the off season to make this team viable. Sure, we picked up Bickell and Teravainen, but I'm not impressed with Terevainen. The idea that this was a guy waiting to break out, but stuck in Chicago on the depth chart sounds like propaganda to me. This team is a reflection of the owner- not enough money to properly run a team and too much ego to sell it to someone who can.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... all valid points. This game was sitting there, stuffed with leftover turkey, looking sleepy and ready to be packed up and taken home. Convert even a single greasy deflection off three skates and you get it done. Try to hang on for dear live and it's guaranteed not to happen. Such is the season thus far.

Oh .. and Marchand remains the biggest whiny jerk in pro sports.