• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Bruins, 7pm, Feb. 27th

cmaleski2

Canes are in Boston tonight for another road game. They will have the same crew that played and lost in Detroit as the team elected not to make any acquisitions at the trade deadline. Jordan Staal will remain out of the lineup indefinitely. Canes now sit 5 points out of the WC2 spot with one game in hand and 8 points out of the WC1 spot.

As for the lines, it doesn't much matter as its the same sorry group that can't score any goals. Aho is going to play center tonight, we will see for how long. Wallmark will likely play 4-7 minutes, And Derek Ryan will play 18 and fail to get a point.

The Bruins have lost a couple games in a row, including a 4-1 loss @Buffalo which spoiled Rick Nash's debut. I'm not going to bother looking up the Bruins PP or PK numbers, the bottom line is they are WAY better than the Canes at every position on the ice and it matters little which goalie they play tonight. This has all the makings of the Canes scoring only 1 goal or getting shut out while the Bruins unleash their offensive depth and completely dominate every facet of the game.

The Canes would need some sort of miraculous turnaround to make the playoffs now. That means winning games like this one which looks just about impossible. You would think the players would try to rally around their co-captain's heartbreaking loss, but they just are way too short on talent.

FS-Carolinas will show the carnage tonight.

StormChaserBH

Michael Smith

@MSmithCanes
24m24 minutes ago
More
#Canes lines at morning skate:

Aho-Lindholm-Teravainen
McGinn-Ryan-Williams
Skinner-Rask-Di Giuseppe
Nordstrom-Wallmark-Stempniak

Slavin-Faulk
Hanifin-Pesce
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Darling looks to be the starter

TheBigKahuna

My give-a-crap-o-meter is bouncing off zero at this point. I'll look up the score once the travesty is over.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
No Bergeron for the B’s tonight, he has a broken foot and will be out for a few weeks. Nash (Riley, not Rick) slides up to center that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmaleski2

Riley Nash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Derek Ryan. Ryan is better at faceoffs, and that is it. Hooray for us!

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
And what happened to that Aho to center comment from Peters, exactly?

I'm not watching a second of this nonsense.

Elsker

those centers are laughable. This one is gonna be ugly

Even the wings are cringe-worthy once you get past a couple of names.

Left Wing:
Aho
McGinn (top-six?!?)
Skinner (protected)
Nordstrom

Right Wing:
Teravainen
Williams
Di Giuseppe
Stempniak

Nothing about that line-up will strike fear in the hearts of any NHL team.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member

Are you kidding? You run your checking line at Aho and your 2nd defense pairing at Skinner and laugh all the way to the bank. Nobody has to game plan for us beyond that.

brassbonanza

Canes Moderator
Even the wings are cringe-worthy once you get past a couple of names.

Left Wing:
Aho
McGinn (top-six?!?)
Skinner (protected)
Nordstrom

Right Wing:
Teravainen
Williams
Di Giuseppe
Stempniak

honestly, we have talent on the wings. But no halfway decent centers with any semblance of offensive acumen. So that is being wasted as well.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
honestly, we have talent on the wings. But no halfway decent centers with any semblance of offensive acumen. So that is being wasted as well.

Maybe so, but it would it kill us to roll out something like this while Staal is out?

Skinner-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Lindholm-Williams
McGinn-Rask-Di Giuseppe
Nordstrom-Ryan (or Wallmark)-Stempniak

I mean, that's at least an attempt at two lines that can score. Dump the defensive load on Rask's group (the wingers are up to it even if he's not) and then whatever on the 4th line. And for all the hand wringing about Skinner's checking, the other two are pretty solid in their own end. It's imperfect, but so is everything else about this team. At least it would be a statement of an intent to score some goals, whereas the current lines are a statement of intent to survive until Staal comes back.

Elsker

Stempniak: 18GP (1-4-5)

Di Giuseppe: 29GP (1-2-3)

Nordstrom: 61GP (2-2-4)

Even McGinn, with his over-slotted top-six opportunities is projecting under 30 points for the season: 61GP (10-11-21)

That's pretty weak sauce to go with our only two potential 60-pointers, Aho (still a wing) and Teravainen.

Williams and Skinner are both currently projecting less than 50 points for the season.

Tryamw

Maybe so, but it would it kill us to roll out something like this while Staal is out?

Skinner-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Lindholm-Williams
McGinn-Rask-Di Giuseppe

I mean, that's at least an attempt at two lines that can score. Dump the defensive load on Rask's group (the wingers are up to it even if he's not) and then whatever on the 4th line. And for all the hand wringing about Skinner's checking, the other two are pretty solid in their own end. It's imperfect, but so is everything else about this team. At least it would be a statement of an intent to score some goals, whereas the current lines are a statement of intent to survive until Staal comes back.

Yes apparently it will. Or maybe it's the second coming. Who knows but it would takes some death to accomplish

JFG

Skinner-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Lindholm-Williams
McGinn-Rask-Di Giuseppe

Sadly so.

Oh, Creativity, Bill Peters is not thy name.

brassbonanza

Canes Moderator

Skinner-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Lindholm-Williams
McGinn-Rask-Di Giuseppe

I hear ya jb, and agree on several points. The disconnect between Peters and Skinner is maddening. One of them has to go. Also puzzled about the reluctance to hold open auditions at wing. But our paper thinness down the middle is still the glaring deficency. And im not asking for an elite guy. Just someone who can keep possession in the O zone ,find an open guy and make a play. We have zero ability at what IMO is the most important position on the ice. Ryan gets out muscled and Rask just wont engage. I think hes more of a disappointment than Darling because he's going on two years of woeful play. As far as Aho at center I agree there too, but can only speculate he may be dinged up a little.

Last edited: