• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Edmonton 10/22 9:00

Freddy had a good night! Stew Skinner is an adventure in net, flopping like a fish out of water a ton, glad the boys kept plugging away for the win. Calgary up next, an unusually hot start for that juggernaut team, go get another win.

OK, I tuned out for a while after we trailed 0-2, but came back and decided to stay up late to see the Canes catch up and get the win. Freddie saved our bacon, especially during the last 5 minutes of regulation play when the Oilers had all the offensive momentum. That was about as good an OT as you can see - and Necas' sweet pass to Aho and his blistering one-timer is about as good as it gets.

OK, I tuned out for a while after we trailed 0-2, but came back and decided to stay up late to see the Canes catch up and get the win. Freddie saved our bacon, especially during the last 5 minutes of regulation play when the Oilers had all the offensive momentum. That was about as good an OT as you can see - and Necas' sweet pass to Aho and his blistering one-timer is about as good as it gets.
Necas pass was enabled by Ghost sprinting his ass off to get from the corner and keep the puck in. Then a perfect backhand saucer to Necas and Aho goes bar down

Whew ... one of the most bonkers/fun OTs I can remember. 3rd period didn't suck either. Yeah, Skinner and Freddie put on a show to keep the score way lower than it should have been but the sheer pace of the game kept it from being dull. You can see how much Edmonton is pushing to get over the hump after another shaky start, and they really pushed Carolina with their forecheck. Brindy decided to go to the line blender and it worked, as he got somebody to lug the puck on each line which took a little pressure off the D on the exits. They still struggled to get the puck out clean, but it did improve and the tying goal came on a nice rush created by a nifty zone exit. I don't love Jervis being saddled with being the only play driver on Staal's line again, but for this one situation it certainly worked and helped get the flow of the game settled down a bit in the 3rd. Necas freaking loves to play on that Rogers Place ice, man. He had both jets going last night. And the Ghost is white hot. Those long range bombs aren't gonna fall all the time, so enjoy it while you can.

Ghost played hard last time around but it's tough to ask a defenseman in particular to switch from a zone system to man to man in the middle of a season. This time he had full camp and knew what he was getting into. He's been pretty good overall since he got out of Philly, even though he's mostly been on crap teams other than his stint here. I'm not surprised that he's playing well, but right now he's one one of those Brady Skjei style hot streaks and the net probably looks like a barn door to him. It won't last, because nobody's going to shoot 30% for a full season. But hey, it's fun watching him sink all those bombs for however long it lasts.

Marty Necas had a game too. I was up in the air about him sticking around or moving on over the summer. I'm willing to be wrong if he keeps it up. KK has racked up 4 assists so far this season, keep that going, please. Fun O.T.. Freddie saved our bacon as well.

I'd love to see the Flams get their first regulation loss next.

Jim

Back