• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Habs 10/21 7:00

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
General thoughts ...

Game flow was weird. Carolina took a while to get going, which I 100% expected, but once they did Montreal reverted to a type of game I'm just not used to seeing from them. No real forecheck, no real challenge on the second pass, WAY too much spacing and WAY too many long, hopeful passes. That isn't their game at ALL, but by the time they got back on their forecheck and tightened up they were down 2-0 and chasing the game. After Toffoli's goal it was anybody's game and Freddie took over for the Canes.

The Refs ... look, whatever. Carolina got a couple of soft-ish calls against, and Montreal got a goal waived off that's probably 50/50 at best. I thought Carolina earned their call deficit overall though. Not the refs' best effort, but then again ... do we ever get their best effort? And if not, then maybe that WAS the best they can do.

Kotkaniemi ... that line was great last night and he pulled his weight. Nice, active stick and positioning on the deflection goal. Everything else? Who really cares other than noting that he managed his emotions well. Kid played a good game and that's all that matters.

Montreal ... sorry, guys. You could see stretches of their normal hard-nosed game, but mixed in were stretches of the kind of loose, unstructured stuff that I'm not used to seeing from Candiens teams. You can tell that they're pressing, but not in a good way. Bad starts SUCK.
I'm perfectly fine with this, what i don't want is what they always do, find their legs and make a run to 9th after putting themselves in a hole.

You can't expect a team missing Price, Weber, Edmundson (he plays well for us), Perry, Staal, Danault, KK, Tatar to be the same team that made the cup run. I've been trying to tell Habs fans, and other annoying fans, this but hey, low hanging rotten fruit trash talk is what people like to use.

With KK, you can continue to expect the inconsistency for awhile then he'll get hot, then cold again. He was playing well last night though, extra jump in his step. Maybe it'll get him going.

Cheers guys, good luck this season. I'm truly hoping for first overall but alas, the Habs aren't really this bad. They'll improve.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm perfectly fine with this, what i don't want is what they always do, find their legs and make a run to 9th after putting themselves in a hole.

You can't expect a team missing Price, Weber, Edmundson (he plays well for us), Perry, Staal, Danault, KK, Tatar to be the same team that made the cup run. I've been trying to tell Habs fans, and other annoying fans, this but hey, low hanging rotten fruit trash talk is what people like to use.

With KK, you can continue to expect the inconsistency for awhile then he'll get hot, then cold again. He was playing well last night though, extra jump in his step. Maybe it'll get him going.

Cheers guys, good luck this season. I'm truly hoping for first overall but alas, the Habs aren't really this bad. They'll improve.
I'm not sure you guys have management buy-in on tanking, but I 100% get where you're coming from ... having watched the Canes just refuse to actually tank and draft in the dead middle of the first round for almost an entire decade. Problem also being, it's a really good draft pool and there's a lot of fish in the tank already.

And, again, I don't think anybody on this board is expecting Kotkaniemi to be anything other than a support guy in Carolina's top 6 tis year, and thus far that's all he's being asked to do. But so far, he's holding his own on the wing and allowing Nino to move down to the 3rd line and provide a little offense to the checking line ... and that's working really well for the Canes. He's also allowing the Canes to let Seth Jarvis cook at least another year before he gets thrown into the fire, and that's a net plus as well.

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
I think Bergevin wants fired. Rumors have it that he has his pick of Anaheim or LA with the favorite being LA due to his closeness with Luc Robitaille, Rob Blake and Agent Pat Brisson.

How Molson can go through a season with a lame duck GM is beyond me. It trickles down to the team and issues rarely get addressed. Molson needs to tell Bergevin to either sign his extension or leave.

The Habs built up enough goodwill for a tank. Wright is a legit player, the draft is in Montreal and they just came off a cup run. If they do nothing then I believe that was the plan all along. Take a shot at it, and boy did they ever, knowing your top players are really banged up etc. Price knew he was stepping away when he exposed himself to the expansion draft to save Allen. He felt guilty leaving the Habs with no goalie really if Allen was taken. Everything about this year (injury, short turnaround due to cup run, management in flux) screams a tank year but players are proud, they're going to at least try. Hopefully this is an organic tank and trying won't make a difference.

If Price returns soon though, all bets are off.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... the art of tanking is simple if the goalie play stinks. It gets more complicated if it doesn't. And I'm with you on Bergevin. I don't see how Molson can let that linger too long. A lame duck GM is a recipe for a mess.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I think Bergevin wants fired. Rumors have it that he has his pick of Anaheim or LA with the favorite being LA due to his closeness with Luc Robitaille, Rob Blake and Agent Pat Brisson.

How Molson can go through a season with a lame duck GM is beyond me. It trickles down to the team and issues rarely get addressed. Molson needs to tell Bergevin to either sign his extension or leave.

The Habs built up enough goodwill for a tank. Wright is a legit player, the draft is in Montreal and they just came off a cup run. If they do nothing then I believe that was the plan all along. Take a shot at it, and boy did they ever, knowing your top players are really banged up etc. Price knew he was stepping away when he exposed himself to the expansion draft to save Allen. He felt guilty leaving the Habs with no goalie really if Allen was taken. Everything about this year (injury, short turnaround due to cup run, management in flux) screams a tank year but players are proud, they're going to at least try. Hopefully this is an organic tank and trying won't make a difference.

If Price returns soon though, all bets are off.
The posts on your game day thread look like most of ours from 2010-2018. And then a new owner, new GM and new coach, a few growing pains early in 18-19 and we were off to the races.

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
The posts on your game day thread look like most of ours from 2010-2018. And then a new owner, new GM and new coach, a few growing pains early in 18-19 and we were off to the races.
Yeah this is definitely shades of Karmanos. Molson ran them into the ground before and are doing it again. It's all about beer and real estate sales, not hockey.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Sara Civian wasn’t at the game last night, she watched it with Canes marketing gurus Dan LaTorracca and Mike Forman. Everything they’ve done, all the trolling was signed off by Waddell and Dundon. They say they’ve had to pull Dundon back because what he wanted to do was so over the top.

HeyKurtz

Sara Civian wasn’t at the game last night, she watched it with Canes marketing gurus Dan LaTorracca and Mike Forman. Everything they’ve done, all the trolling was signed off by Waddell and Dundon. They say they’ve had to pull Dundon back because what he wanted to do was so over the top.

Perhaps the best example yet of why I never even pause to renew my subscription to The Athletic…awesome stuff!

HNIM

You‘ve just described Canes hockey 2010-2018.

Edit: I see that’s been pointed out already. Great minds seize on the obvious.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Perhaps the best example yet of why I never even pause to renew my subscription to The Athletic…awesome stuff!
Yeah. People routinely complain in the comments whenever Sara doesn't post game recaps but I'd MUCH rather her keep producing these gems. I'm watching the freaking game and don't need somebody to tell me what I just saw. This stuff, however, is gold Jerry ... gold.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah this is definitely shades of Karmanos. Molson ran them into the ground before and are doing it again. It's all about beer and real estate sales, not hockey.
Shades yes ... but Karmanos wasn't doing it because he was cheap or because he had other priorities. He was actually broke.