• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Habs 10/21 7:00

I thought we had a shaky start and really seemed disjointed during the 1st, but we came back strong in the first half of the 2nd. I think we have enough talent on this team to compensate when we make mistakes or start to fizzle on offense. Svech is a human dynamo when he's out of the box, but.....well, you know. Andersen is making Waddell look really smart right now (along with the other moves to shore up our defense).

Per Chip, Natural Stat Trick counted 15 high danger chances by the Habs last night. While the win is great, that needs to be cleaned up.

The Canes are one of 9 undefeated teams in the league (who would have though the Slugs and Sharks would be in that group?). The Habs are the only team without a point.

Where did all those beautiful drop passes come from? Very unselfish play by the boys.

Agreed and I think tonight was his worst game for us..
Interesting ... I saw a mix of good and sketchy in his game, but when I looked at the Gamescore rankings Bear graded out as Carolina's third most effective D (behind Pesce and Skjei) ... well ahead of his partner Slavin, who admittedly had a pretty quiet night. Those rankings aren't bulletproof or anything, but I do trust them above my eyes most of the time. Aho was like a plus 4 wins level player last night according to Gamescore and that checks out.

General thoughts ...

Game flow was weird. Carolina took a while to get going, which I 100% expected, but once they did Montreal reverted to a type of game I'm just not used to seeing from them. No real forecheck, no real challenge on the second pass, WAY too much spacing and WAY too many long, hopeful passes. That isn't their game at ALL, but by the time they got back on their forecheck and tightened up they were down 2-0 and chasing the game. After Toffoli's goal it was anybody's game and Freddie took over for the Canes.

The Refs ... look, whatever. Carolina got a couple of soft-ish calls against, and Montreal got a goal waived off that's probably 50/50 at best. I thought Carolina earned their call deficit overall though. Not the refs' best effort, but then again ... do we ever get their best effort? And if not, then maybe that WAS the best they can do.

Kotkaniemi ... that line was great last night and he pulled his weight. Nice, active stick and positioning on the deflection goal. Everything else? Who really cares other than noting that he managed his emotions well. Kid played a good game and that's all that matters.

Montreal ... sorry, guys. You could see stretches of their normal hard-nosed game, but mixed in were stretches of the kind of loose, unstructured stuff that I'm not used to seeing from Candiens teams. You can tell that they're pressing, but not in a good way. Bad starts SUCK.

Back