• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Kraken 10/26 10:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes hit Seattle with a bunch of Season Ticket Members in tow.

After an Alberta sweep, the Canes head back to the Stares. This is the annual STM trip, so there should be a couple of sections in red or white at the arena. On Thursday, Jarvis, Roslovic and Necas lit the lamp to build a 3-0 lead. The Flames clawed back to get within a goal, but Eric Robinson scored his first as a Cane into an empty net to close it out. Kochetckov picked up the win and also got an assist on Robinson’s goal, his first NHL point. The team didn’t practice yesterday so we’ll see what the lineup looks like at the morning skate. Expect Andersen in goal though.

The Kraken started hot, winning 4 of their first 6 games. They’ve lost their last 2 as they wrap up a 5 game homestand. Jordan Eberle leads with 6 goals, Jared McCann has 7 assists and 11 points. Joey Daccord and Phillip Grubauer have split the 8 games in goal. Daccord has the better numbers at 2.93/.907, Grubauer is 3.10/.881. They’ve alternated stsrts, if thst holds, we’ll see Grubauer tonight. The Kraken are averaging 3.25 goals per game, just ahead of the Canes. They’re allowing 3 per game. Their special teams are in the low 20s.

Fan Duel for TV.

FWIW, Daccord and Grubauer have basically the same goals saved above expected line. That's a better indicator of relative performance than the traditional stats, which are so dependent on how the team plays in front of a guy. So, it really doesn't matter which keeper Seattle goes with tonight. Andersen on the other hand has been red hot. He's top five in the NHL in saves above expected through 3 games. And since that's a cumulative stat, it's even more impressive.

Honestly, Seattle is weirdly constructed to me. They lean really hard on that Beniers line for defensive matchups, but have a perfectly good checking center in Gourde that kind of gets all purpose duty. They went out and spent big money on Montour but promptly saddled him with a partner who can't skate with him. Chandler Stephenson makes about as much sense as KK, so I'm not pointing fingers on that one but it's weird. Bottom line ... I haven't bothered to watch them play this season, and Bylsma has been out of the league long enough for me to have no idea what he's doing systems wise these days. The matchup favors the Canes because everybody looks like they're trying to balance everything out and Carolina's got a better setup to do that. Still, you have to go beat that team. They've always been systematically sound and I'm guessing that hasn't changed.

Last edited:
Andersen on the Breakaway
That's MR. ANDERSEN

tenor.gif

What the hell is up with the cutting to the awful camera angles? I don't want to watch the action from the other end of the ice.

Back