• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Leafs 3/17 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes head north of the border to face the Leafs in the opener of a back to back.

Chatfield was on the ice in a regular sweater at practice yesterday but no word on whether he’ll play. Raanta is not where they’d like him to be in his recovery, so it’s the Freddie and Koochie show for the foreseeable future. It should be Koochie in goal tonight, but RBA said he might have Freddie face his former team, with Koochie going tomorrow in Philly.

The Leafs are a distant 2nd in the Atlantic with 89 points in 67 games. They’re 1 point ahead of Tampa with 2 games in hand. They’re all but assured a 1st round matchup, they’re not going to catch Boston and the Panthers are 13 points behind Tampa. The Leafs are 6-3-1 in their last 10, coming off a shootout loss to the Avs. William Nylander leads with 35 goals but Austin Matthews and John Tavares have each cracked 30 goals too. Mitch Marner is 4th in the league with 62 assists. Marner, Nylander and Matthews all average better than a point per game, Tavares is just below that. Tavares also has 13 power play goals, nearly half of his points are on the PP. Ilya Samsonov has started 33 games in goal and has a 2.36/.916 stat line, both in the top 10 in the league. He’s backed up by Matt Murray who is at 2.92/.903 in 22 games. The Leafs are 9th in goals per game and 5th in goals against. Their PP is potent, 3rd best in the league. They’re 13th on the PK.

Black jerseys tonight, the Leafs are wearing their Toronto St. Pats jerseys. Balky Sports South and NHL Network for TV

Last edited:
Tonight ... TRANSITION DEFENSE. That's about it. Hold your own on special teams and keep the number of jailbreak rushes to a minimum and things should work out.

As the standings look today, I think the Canes can take the Pens. But I don't think they'd beat NY, NJ, Boston, Toronto or Tampa in 7 games.

As the standings look today, I think the Canes can take the Pens. But I don't think they'd beat NY, NJ, Boston, Toronto or Tampa in 7 games.
Fair and honest assessment with how teams are built and healthy right now. You can clearly see the Canes offense now needs help from everyone to survive with Svech out, and they’re going to need much better goaltending too.

Yawn....

I haven't really enjoyed watching this team in about a month. I'm watching about every 3rd game recently. And this was one I sat through.

I didn’t watch this game, can it be called a game? Seems the canes have two problems, scoring and keeping the puck from entering their net.

Tough to watch at times, sad to see injuries hit that hard and it’s a tough road to hoe, this team simply will not have the offensive firepower to go head to head with the big boys deep into the playoffs now. That’s not a slam on anyone on this team, but the reality is the offensive depth is no longer there for a deep run, it was already challenged without Patches…now it’s ugly. The realist in me says maybe sneak by Pitt or the Isles but anything more than that will be a stretch.

Back