• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ NY Rangers 11/29 7:00 PM

cmaleski2

Canes go back on the road for the first of 2 games this week versus the Rangers at MSG.

Canes will be without Jordan Staal who is out indefinitely with a concussion after taking a stick to the head/neck area during Sunday night's game against the Panthers. Phil DiGuiseppe who has 7 points in 8 games for the Checkers since his demotion has been recalled and likely will be inserted immediately into the lineup.

Lines will be interesting with someone (Teravainen, Aho, or Lindholm or a combination of all 3) having to take over at center for our top defensive center and top faceoff man.

The Rangers sit atop the Metro with a 15-7-1 record. Lundqvist's numbers are subpar for him at 10-6-1 2.43 and .915%. Backup Antti Raanta sports a 5-1-0 record 2.20 GAA and .931 Sv%. The Rangers are by far the highest scoring team in the league, averaging 3.7 goals a game with a balanced attack paced by Michael Grabner (12 goals already), Kevin Hayes (10 goals), Rick Nash (9 goals), JT Miller (8 goals), Rookie Jimmy Vesey (7 goals) and Canes killer Mats Zuccarello (7 goals). Having to deal with the Rangers' high powered offense without Jordan Staal will be a tough challenge.

If you are an optimist, the Rangers have managed to lose 4 straight games at home, scoring only 6 goals in those 4 losses.

Cam most certainly will get the start in goal for the Canes. I would assume Lundqvist will be the Rangers starting netminder, they last played Sunday and have no back to backs coming up this week.

Fox Sports Carolinas for the pictures.

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Lundqvist will indeed start for the Rangers, Vigneault confirmed it earlier this week. JT Miller is (or was yesterday) 50/50 to play. He took a Zucarello shot to his knee that required stitches. And the Rangers scoring drought has been going on for a while, scoring only 13 goals over their last 6.

How bad are Lundqvist's numbers? They're almost identical to Ward's. Cam sits at 7-6-3, 2.44 and .918.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
From the morning skate:

Skinner/Rask/Lindholm
Aho/Teravainen/Stempniak
PDG/Ryan/Nestrasil
Nordstrom/McClement/Stalberg

Hainsey/Faulk
Slavin/Pesce
Hanifin/Tennyson

Ward in goal.

Elsker

From Michael Smith (and confirmed by Maniscalco) the morning skate lines were:

Skinner / Rask / Lindholm
Aho / Teravainen / Stempniak
Di Giuseppe / Ryan / Nestrasil
Nordstrom / McClement / Stalberg

So, Teravainen holds the center role into which he was field-promoted when Jordan went down last game.

And, once again, we have a third line of AHL tweeners.

EDIT: Ha! Andy has it.

cmaleski2

Will be interesting to see how Peters works those lines when we have draw in our own zone. I expect that '4th' line will end up jumping over the boards for defensive zone draws an awful lot.

HeyKurtz

I am around the corner from MSG, waiting in my hotel room and already wearing my Aho jersey. LET'S GO CANES!!!

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Don't really relish the idea of playing NY fresh off of losing Staal. He's exceptionally key to what we do against teams that can really grind you out and our oomph factor takes a big hit with him out of the picture. I do like moving Stempy into the mix with the kids on the 2nd line MUCH better than trying Lindy back at center ... again. We'll see. Cam got some rest ... maybe he can pull one out of his backside on fresh legs tonight.

4ever green

Plus the Jerks have been pretty snoozy at home,and I look for them to have a big time snarl on this evening.....Canes better be ready or this gets ugly early and often.

Elsker

Couple of relevant Peters quotes tweeted by Michael Smith from earlier this afternoon:

Peters on TT at C: "I think for us he’s going to be a center at some point. He’s going to be a center long-term. I really believe that.”

Peters said he could have easily moved Lindholm to C, but felt it spread the forward lines too thin. Wants to lean on 53-49-16 offensively.

HNIM

One thing I noticed through the previous road trip, and again tonight. Any number of times we lost the puck in the offensive zone and the opponent looks to be breaking out, we've had a guy in the deep safety position to clean it up, and who's taken care of business very cleanly. This is a real change from the last few years.

And Jacob Slavin just keeps looking better and better. Not just in defensive coverage, but he has really good acceleration to help carry the puck out of the defensive zone. What a steal this guy was.

Tryamw

Hainsey with the 4 m in penalties in what I thought was a delayed offsides situation.
Of course they score on it.

HeyKurtz

Guess we'll have to wait a while longer to win at MSG. 2010. Wow.

Yes, my Rangers fan buddy with whom I do a "home and home" every season keeps reminding me how I've never seen our boys win at MSG.

I don't think I ever saw a team turn over the puck at its own blue line more often than we did in the second and third periods tonight. For once, I hope Tripp was screaming about the lack of the high forward on the TV broadcast.

cmaleski2

In the end its another loss of a game we were one 2nd period goal away from probably winning. Need to figure out a way to put the nail in the coffin of teams that we badly outplay for large chunks of games.