• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Panthers 11/9 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Hurricanes play during a Hurricane.

There was no word out of practice yesterday in what the lines would look like with Drury included. All RBA said was that if he plays, it will be at center. Koochie didn’t make it for practice, he joined the team last night. No word on a morning skate, but the outer bands of Nicole have breached the coast with tropical storm force wind, so who know if they’ll leave the hotel. Broward County is under a state of emergency.

The Panthers tweeted 14 hours ago that the game would be played as scheduled and doors would open at 6 as usual. As for the team, they’re underachieving compared to preseason predictions, 7-5-1 for 15 points in 13 games, 5th in the Atlantic. They’ve had injury problems with Ekblad on LTIR since mid-October and Hornqvist out for a week. Ekblad has been practicing and is expected to be activated over the weekend. Hornqvist didn’t practice with the team yesterday, he skated on his own. Verhaege leads with 8 goals, Tkachuk has 12 assists and 17 points but will miss tonight for the 2nd game of his 2 game suspension. Eric Staal is pointless in 6 games, playing 4th line minutes. In Ekblad’s absence Montour and Forsling are playing monster minutes, 26:07 and 24:26, respectively. In goal, Bob has not been good, 3.29/.897 in 8 games. Only 3 more years after this for that albatross of a contract. Spencer Knight is at 2.63/.903 in 5 games. Chairman Mo hasn’t completely stifled their offensive abilities, nor has the defense improved. They’ve both scored and allowed 42 goals, 15th in goals per game, nearly 1 goal less per game than they averaged last year and are tied for 17th in goals against. Their special teams are struggling, 30th on the PP at 13.0%, 25th on the PK at 73.5%. They were 5th on the PP last year at 24.4%

Bally Sports South for TV. Tripp has been activated from IR.

Andersen didn’t travel to Florida, so it’s Raanta in goal with Koochie backing him up. No update from Walt on what the lines look like.

If you told me a year ago I'd be watching Maurice coach Eric Staal I would have panicked you meant they were back in Raleigh; this hits different.
Tonight is also Eric’s 1,300th NHL game. He’s the 64th player to hit that number. Barring injury, he should move into the top 50 by the end of the season.

Last edited:
It converted from sub-tropical to tropical yesterday. And it’s expected to be a weak Cat 1 hurricane when it makes landfall in Florida later today.
Yeah ... a big fat rain event either way. Nasty, but not as nasty as it could have been.

At the morning skate, Drury and Stastny alternated at center with Stepan and Noesen on the wings. Coghlan and de Haan alternated on the left side of Chatfield. So still no clarity on the lineup.

csts have way too much freedom around the canes net and the canes are getting pushed around at the cats net.

This game just has a weird vibe…are they asleep, unmotivated or just think they can turn it on for a period and a half?

Back