• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Preds 1/19 8:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Second verse, same as the first.

The Canes face their first back to back without Jordan Staal and likely without Teravainen. Who you got, Lorentz or McCormick? And what will the blend-o-matic spit out for the lines? And will Warren Foegele remove his head from his posterior soon?

Regarding Foegele.. At least he had some effort last night... before that he was a Big rig with a chainsaw motor... Lifeless slow to react and completely useess last night he improved to penalty taking mostly useless with a few chances on net. Not great but an improvement..

Regarding the loss (Potentially) of TT. Problems come early for the Canes.

Regarding Foegele.. At least he had some effort last night... before that he was a Big rig with a chainsaw motor... Lifeless slow to react and completely useess last night he improved to penalty taking mostly useless with a few chances on net. Not great but an improvement..

Regarding the loss (Potentially) of TT. Problems come early for the Canes.
Yeah, the effort was there, the discipline, not so much.

Foegele's not the only one who isn't hitting on much at the moment. It's a weird way to start a season, that's for sure. My money is on McCormick tonight, since there's no reason to push it with Turbo. If he's dinged up, better to let him get to where he can handle a regular shift before asking him to play a back to back. Lorentz might actually be a better addition based on his skill set, but McCormick has the experience and is a lower risk option.

I'm not a huge fan of John Hynes (who aside from David Poile would be such a thing?) but that guy sure has a knack for setting a team up to play against a Brind'Amour team. His Devils teams gave us fits for no specific reason, and other than Reimer hammering the door shut for most of the game the same was true last night. Honestly, I'd like to see Carolina ease off the pressure a notch and trap the Preds a bit more ... or maybe go with a hybrid where you press the D a bit and soften up in the neutral zone. Whatever ... you find some goals and everything's good. This year is about results, not style points.

I’d go with Lorentz. What’s the risk really. Rather find out now and get him experience now than when it’s more of a must win. I think I’d probably plan to roll most of those guys through the lineup even if not required because of injury. That way they’re fully engaged and not stale.

I think I’d probably plan to roll most of those guys through the lineup even if not required because of injury. That way they’re fully engaged and not stale.
Yeah ... especially since the plan right now is to recover between games rather than practice. You don't want these guys rotting on the shelf.

Do we know what the threshold is for making these decisions?

For instance Staal in protocol was not enough. So what’s different? A bunch more Canes in protocol or Staal confirmed positive or what?

seems like, with the schedule the way it is that this is likely to go beyond disruptive to the point it breaks the system.

Ut oh....well, who knows how this plays out now? Without knowing specifics, we have no idea if the Canes are now down for days or weeks.

Ut oh....well, who knows how this plays out now? Without knowing specifics, we have no idea if the Canes are now down for days or weeks.
I don’t see how the league can make this work. Assuming the Canes have 3 positive cases today. And then no more then how long do they wait to restart? One week means 4 games. When this starts gridlocking with other teams how do they fix it?

Yeah ... three out, with the collective contract tracing problems those three cause ... we could be looking at a lengthy break here. There's some flexibility built into the schedule, but that pretty much consists of a free week at the end of the schedule (4 games max) and 3-4 games of "flextime" per team during the run of the season. Seems to me like they hoped to get away with no more than one team-wide shutdown per team ... and I'm just not sure that's going to be good enough. This was always going to be the risk with waiting ... this winter was NEVER going to be anything other than a mess.

I would be curious to know how all of this is being handled now.

IE:

* Where is Jordan Staal right now? Is he still in Detroit? Did he have to drive from Detroit back to his home in Raleigh?

* With the announcement that tonight's game is postponed indefinitely, what happens with the team? Are they all now quarantined in their individual hotel rooms in Nashville for....1 day, 2 days, 5 days, indefinitely?

Yes. Because if they’re all quarantined in hotel rooms for even a few days the result on the ice when they come back is gonna suck.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the Red Wings, so if Fabbri and Erne of the Red Wings were placed in the same protocol as Jordan Staal and they played two games against the Canes, where does that leave the Wings and their schedule if any of those guys test positive? This thing just has a way of snowballing quickly to a point that the schedule becomes just enough of a mess to pull the plug.

The NHL doesn't do a lot of smart things, but at least they siloed the divisions so the Central doesn't cross-contaminate the entire league. Well, I guess part of that was Canada's doing, not the NHL.

Sarah Civian tweeted that three Canes forwards have tested positive.

The NHL doesn't do a lot of smart things, but at least they siloed the divisions so the Central doesn't cross-contaminate the entire league. Well, I guess part of that was Canada's doing, not the NHL.

Sarah Civian tweeted that three Canes forwards have tested positive.

She tweeted earlier that 1 was a false positive but her article posted an hour ago says they’re “awaiting confirmation”

The article says that Staal is still in Detroit and the other 3 will likely quarantine in Nashville. They’re working with local health authorities in Nashville. Players and staff who are negative are now undergoing rapid testing before they fly back to Raleigh.

Last edited:
Back