• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Rangers 5/13 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Can the Canes fight off another elimination game?

The Canes got a late PP goal from Brady Skjei on Saturday that provided the winning margin. Optimists will say the Canes are 1 for their last 1 power play opportunities. Maybe switching around the personnel was the secret sauce. Sebastian Aho scored a goal, giving him 10 points in the playoffs. That makes him 1 of 10 players in NHL history to record double digit points in at least 6 consecutive postseasons. He's also leading the team in points, if that remains, he’ll be the 3rd player in NHL history to lead or tie for scoring in winch of his first 6 postseasons. The other 2 guys are Gretzky and Lemieux. Brett Pesce skated at practice yesterday with the 4th line and Black Aces, his first time on the ice after his foot injury. RBA still says he’s doubtful. It wouldn’t shock me to see Kochetkov in goal tonight.

Johnny Brodzinski saw his first action of the series on Saturday when Filip Chytil was scratched due to illness. With last change on home ice, we might see Rempe in that spot tonight if Chytil can’t go. He played just over 11 minutes total in the first 2 games.

Back to ESPN for TV tonight with Sean McDonough, Ray Ferraro and Emily Kaplan. Buccigross and Messier are in the studio.

I'd guess Rempe will be back, since Brodzinski was pretty invisible in Game 4. Plus, nothing gets their meathead fans going like the mere sight of that big moron. Given last change, Lavy will likely yield to his caveman instincts. If I'm Carolina, I welcome that because Rempe's good for at least one extra power play. Make sure to keep DeAngelo's pairing out there against the 4th line too. You could hit the daily double.

This one is about mentality, I think. There ain't a blade of grass' difference between the two teams overall, and the team that has executed better has won each game. How will an emotion-driven Rangers team respond to getting knocked off their high horse? How will Carolina weather what will almost certainly be a huge push-back early on? Will the Canes stick to their guns if they have a bad first power play opportunity? We've seen everybody's A, B and C adjustments and there's not much left in those tanks. From here it's about figuring it out on the fly and getting it done.

For the first time in forever, the Canes have a morning skate. Here are the lines, no changes from Saturday:

Guentzel - Aho - Svechnikov
Martinook - Drury - Necas
Teravainen - Staal - Jarvis
Kotkaniemi - Kuznetsov - Noesen

No changes on defense, Pesce is not on the ice. Andersen is in the starter’s crease.

Rod rarely if ever changes anything following a win. I'd expect any changes to come on the fly, depending on how the game is going.

Tonight’s officials:

Referees:
Dan O’Rourke #9, Francois St. Laurent #8

Linesemen:
Kiel Murchison #79, Brandon Gawryletz #64

Standby officials: Jon McIssac #2, Kyle Flemington #55

This is the first time the Canes have had O’Rourke, he worked 3 Western Conference games in round 1 before pairing with Chris Rooney for Boston/Toronto game 5 and with Wes McCauley for Vegas/Dallas game 7. The Canes had St. Laurent with McIssac for Islanders game 2. In the last 2 years, the Canes are a combined 15-1-2 with these guys.

For the Rangers, it looks like Chytil is out again, with Brodzinski in the lineup instead of Rempe. This is how they skated, per the Rangers beat reporter for Gannett. You can figure out the shorthand

Kreider - Zib - Roslovic
Panarin - Trocheck - Laf
Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Brodzinski

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Gus - Trouba

For the Rangers, it looks like Chytil is out again, with Brodzinski in the lineup instead of Rempe. This is how they skated, per the Rangers beat reporter for Gannett. You can figure out the shorthand

Kreider - Zib - Roslovic
Panarin - Trocheck - Laf
Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko
Vesey - Goodrow - Brodzinski

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Gus - Trouba
Meh ... with that setup, they just use Goodrow as a situational filler on the 3rd line anyway. I saw him standing in for all three 3rd line guys at some point in Game 4.

Back