• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Islanders 11/30 7:30

I’ve saw beer league goalies play better than that…gross, and Raanta shitting the bed lately just as 🤮. Pesce honorable mention for shittiest skater on the ice outside of the goaltender.

Waddell thinks he has a Cup contender year after year but never does shit with his goaltending…that’s a colossal failure to throw those guys out there year after year expecting different results. This team deserves better in net.

Gotta be so frustrating for the guys. They freaking dominated the game but the goalie gave up 5 goals on 16 shots. Last week it was 8 on 14 shots. That is epically bad goaltending. You have no chance to win with that. And they scored 6 goals in those games. They scored 6 and gave up 30 shots in 2 games. That’s fantastic. L L.

Just got home from the PNC. It's really hard to see a team basically dominate for most of the game only to lose because of abysmal goaltending. Sure, there were some defensive breakdowns that led to the goals, but PK was simply awful. Time to move on from the hope that he's the guy and find another keeper.

I think you are a bit too hard on Kochetkov. Sure he didn't make any gamechanging saves but the defensive breakdowns are just as bad. Jarvis was responsible for two turnovers that lead to goals. Players can stand infront of goal and redirect shots however they please without any consequenses. Being a goalie and almost having nothing to do in a game but when you do it's a-grade chances is hard as f. I have seen it pleny of times and it also happened to Raanta just a few games ago. This team is lacking big time in toughness and has done so for many years now.

I think you are a bit too hard on Kochetkov. Sure he didn't make any gamechanging saves but the defensive breakdowns are just as bad. Jarvis was responsible for two turnovers that lead to goals. Players can stand infront of goal and redirect shots however they please without any consequenses. Being a goalie and almost having nothing to do in a game but when you do it's a-grade chances is hard as f. I have seen it pleny of times and it also happened to Raanta just a few games ago. This team is lacking big time in toughness and has done so for many years now.
It’s not just that he didn’t make game changing saves, he didn’t make the saves he needed to. A goalie’s job is to keep defensive breakdowns from hitting the back of the net. Kochetkov failed last night, especially on the 2nd and 3rd goals.

It’s not just that he didn’t make game changing saves, he didn’t make the saves he needed to. A goalie’s job is to keep defensive breakdowns from hitting the back of the net. Kochetkov failed last night, especially on the 2nd and 3rd goals.
The second one was bad the third was atrocious, that second period stat of three goals allowed on only 10 measly shots through 60 minutes should never happen to a NHL goalie.

The second one was bad the third was atrocious, that second period stat of three goals allowed on only 10 measly shots through 60 minutes should never happen to a NHL goalie.
1 goal on 7 shots in the first, that one is on Burns, Slavin and Fast. But the 2nd period? 2 goals on 3 shots. Just awful.

Like I said, he is not blameless and I would have liked him to save that third goal, but bad defending, sloppy turnovers and awful scoring is what lost the game.

Like I said, he is not blameless and I would have liked him to save that third goal, but bad defending, sloppy turnovers and awful scoring is what lost the game.
He’s got to save some of them. He was awful. Sure they could have had fewer defensive breakdowns but he can’t let all of them find the back of the net. I feel like we’ve seen a couple of historically bad goaltending performances in a week. Not just missed an easy one, got swarmed and blew a game but not many chances and letting them all in.

Pyotr played like crap last night; but every person on that team has had an ECHL level night this year. Pytor has shown flashes of greatess (or have we forgotten 3 wins in his first 2 NHL starts, 5 shutouts, etc)

The question is will he respond and improve or not, and I think he can/will still do that. This trio (technically duo) won a Jennings 2 years ago in no small part because their D corps made it boring for them. We're not getting that now, but the team is starting to come around it looks like (though slower than I'd like). If we're going to give Necas, Martinook, Staal et all a pass, Pyotr gets one too.

Pyotr played like crap last night; but every person on that team has had an ECHL level night this year. Pytor has shown flashes of greatess (or have we forgotten 3 wins in his first 2 NHL starts, 5 shutouts, etc)

The question is will he respond and improve or not, and I think he can/will still do that. This trio (technically duo) won a Jennings 2 years ago in no small part because their D corps made it boring for them. We're not getting that now, but the team is starting to come around it looks like (though slower than I'd like). If we're going to give Necas, Martinook, Staal et all a pass, Pyotr gets one too.
Kochetkov’s prior 2 games against Columbus and Philly were good…3 goals allowed on 55 shots, a tidy .945 save %. And the 2 goals Columbus scored were flukes. But that doesn’t give him a pass for last night. Yes, there were breakdowns in front of him. But at some point, he has to make a [your word] save. And he didn’t. He came up small when the d needed to be bailed out.

But that doesn’t give him a pass for last night
100% agree, but some people seem to be ready to call him a bust when he's among the youngest goalies in the league, with ample growth potential - we've seen where his ceiling could be.

He played like a (myword) n00b last night though for sure. ;)

100% agree, but some people seem to be ready to call him a bust when he's among the youngest goalies in the league, with ample growth potential - we've seen where his ceiling could be.

He played like a (myword) n00b last night though for sure. ;)
Last night was his 32nd start across 3 seasons. It’s too early to call him a bust. Inconsistent, yes. A bust, no. Among the 76 goalies that have played a game this year, he’s the 10th youngest. And only 4 of those younger than him have played at least as many games this season as him. And only Lukas Dostal has a winning record.

Kochetkov is 24 and has been playing professional games for 5 seasons now, so he's not some sort of raw prospect anymore. He's also probably not a finished product, but at this point he's being paid like a very good NHL backup goalie and is frankly not pulling his weight. It's absolutely more about inconsistent results than a lack of talent but we've seen the same trends from him across three seasons in Carolina's system. He gets on a roll, earns more consistent time and then the wheels come off in a flurry of weird decisions and soft goals. It's troubling, to be sure.

Bottom line ... they scored 4 goals against a team with one legit forward line. That's got to be enough and would have been had the goalie put in an NHL calibre performance. He didn't, so they were lucky to get a loser point. Also, you can pull the guy, Rod. If getting pulled after that God-awful 5 hole goal he allowed breaks a player's spirit then we have bigger fish to fry.

Back