• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Kings 1/15 3:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A holiday matinee and a Canes Hall of Fame ceremony for Justin Williams.

The Canes dominated early, bent late and ultimately won in OT on Saturday night. Brett Pesce was the hero, getting the first and last goals of the game, Antti Raanta had 38 saves, including a highlight reel save on Crosby. There was a limited practice yesterday with only 8 skaters but the big news was that Necas skated in a regular jersey. If he is back, Lemieux will return to his seat next to TDA and we’ll have to wait until warmups to see where Necas slots in.

The Kings have hit the skids, losers of 8 straight, 2-4-4 in their last 10. This is the 5th game of a 6 game road trip that ends in Dallas tomorrow night. It’s indicative of how hot they were that, even with the losing streak, they’re 3rd in the Pacific with 48 points in 39 games. They’re losing contact with Vancouver and Vegas though, 5 points behind Vegas with 4 games in hand. Trevor Moore leads with 18 goals, Kevin Fiala has 27 assists. Anze Kopitar keeps rolling, he has 39 points. Fiala and Adrian Kempe are close behind with 37. Cam Talbot has started 28 games in goal, he’s at 2.34/.918 on the season. Pheonix Copley started the season as the backup but went down with a torn ACL in December. The Kings had signed David Rittich in July and recalled him when Copley went down. He’s at 1.49/.930 in 4 appearances, 3 of them starts. With a conference game tomorrow night, it wouldn’t surprise me if we saw him tonight. The Kings are 13th in goals per game and 3rd in goals against. They’re 14th on the PP and 2nd on the PK.

Black jerseys today. Bally Sports South for TV. Get to your seats early, the Hall of Fame ceremony starts at 2:45.

The Kings' losing streak is weird, because it's not like they've been awful. They just keep losing 1 and 2 goal games for the most part. And yeah, I'd expect "Big Save Dave" to get the start for the Kings today. Talbot has played (and lost) 4 in a row. He'll need a sanity break if nothing else.

Moore gets the opener for the Kings. Raanta took a shot off the mask and the Canes couldn’t clear it. Fiala dominated that shift for them, Aho’s line is gonna have their hands full.

I guess RBA thinks he can give the kid some practice in a NHL game as the rest of the team is not going to dog out of a 3goal deficit the way they are playing now.

I did. There were 5 skaters in front of him, all of whom declined to deal with the puck or the players in white on the other 3 goals.
The math I was referring to was more about the number of times this year that save percentage dips into the 700’s and 800’s…that’s the concerning numbers for me.

My brother in law took his wife to her first ever Hurricanes game (thanks Kurtzy) and even though it was a blah performance by the good guys, she had a blast. I think we have a new Caniac in the world.

Back