• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Leafs 3/24 6:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes look for the season sweep against the Leafs.

After a self-described weird game in Washington, the Canes look to return to normalcy. Expect Andersen in goal. And maybe don’t keep this one until the last 92 seconds?

The Leafs are pretty well locked into the 3rd spot in the Atlantic, 6 points behind the Panthers, 6 points ahead of the Lightning. They’re 6-3-1 in their last 10, coming off a 6-3 win over the Oilers last night. Auston Matthews had a goal, his 58th of the season. William Nylander has 54 assists and leads the team with 93 points. Mitch Marner is 3rd in goals and 2nd in assists, but he remains out. Joseph Woll came to Raleigh a day early and will start in goal. He‘s at 2.90/.909 in 19 games but has had 3 stinkers in a row, at 3.70/.849. The Leafs are 2nd in the league in goals per game, 18th in goals against. They’re 4th on the PK, just behind the Canes, 26th on the PK.

ESPN+ for TV with Roxy Bernstein (who?) and Kevin Weekes on the call.

Although we might have lost a little juice as the game progressed I do believe the team is rounding into the best version of whatever they can be this year. The two new dudes appear to be great additions, the defense is really tightening up (Slavin was a monstaah last night), and IF the goaltending can hold up, I like where we’re headed. 🤞

Yeah, this is not the young, coltish Canes teams of the early Brind'Amour era that could skate like banshees from whistle to whistle for weeks n end. This is a much more veteran group and this part of the season is a major grind physically. That was a deliberate change, but it has consequences sometimes. Still, they throttled Toronto's firepower pretty good yesterday. Freddie was great at times, but Woll was just as good ... and under just as much pressure.

The Svech lazy, undisciplined penalties look worse in person than on TV! The infractions he takes in the offensive zone are the real boneheaded ones...and Roddy said as much in the post game presser. The Leafs looked like a team that played the night before in the first period and I thought the Canes could or should have been up about 3 goals, the second half of the game the Leafs seemed to be much more engaged but the Canes as a whole did a nice job of stifling the Leafs break out and really did not allow the Leafs forwards much room all night long. Props to Freddy for really making some ten bell saves and playing solid all night long.

Back