• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Oilers 2/16 4:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The depleted Oilers visit as the Canes Moms gather for their trip.

A win moves the Canes back into the Wild Card, combined with a Columbus loss in New Jersey they’d move into the first Wild Card. They practiced at Raleigh Center Ice yesterday, but most of Canes Twitter was distracted by a shiny object. Mrazek played well enough on Friday, maybe he goes again?

The Oilers match the Canes last 10 at 6-3-1. They beat the Panthers yesterday afternoon, 4-1 with goals from Larsson and Draisaitl. Nurse and Yamamoto added late empty netters. Draisaitl added his league leading 59th assist and is 10 points up on Pastrnak in the Art Ross race. Koskinen was in goal, so maybe we see Mike Smith today. They’re a very top heavy scoring team; they have 5 guys with at least 10 goals and 3 of them will be missing today. Besides McDavid and Kassian, James Neal is out with a foot injury. They can’t win if they don’t score; they’re 26th in goals against 5v5 at 131, 22 more than the Canes. Offensively, they’re right behind the Canes at 3.17 goals per game. They lead the league on the PP at 29.4% and they’re 3rd on the PK at 83.8% and are 20 for their last 21 on the kill.

If you’re watching/listening at home today, Jason Shaya is on the mic. The Mighty Forslund is in Pittsburgh today.

This would be a good time for the Canes to come out hard and fast and pot a couple of goals early. Really should be no excuses to not start quick with Edmonton playing yesterday and traveling.

This would be a good time for the Canes to come out hard and fast and pot a couple of goals early. Really should be no excuses to not start quick with Edmonton playing yesterday and traveling.
This ... all day. This is a game where you either take it by the scruff of the neck early or risk turning the game into a dogfight. Don't do that. It's Sunday ... behave.

This ... all day. This is a game where you either take it by the scruff of the neck early or risk turning the game into a dogfight. Don't do that. It's Sunday ... behave.
They did that! Where is the urgency from the Canes? The Oilers played less than 24 hours ago and they look like the fresher team, about 2/3 of the Hurricanes have been invisible so far, no excuse, just unacceptable.

Too much passing in the OT. Did they have a bet on who would get the last assist of the game?

Waddell has some big moves to make, to make this team a contender. Too many passengers and guys who can't provide SOMETHING night after night.

Waddell has some big moves to make, to make this team a contender. Too many passengers and guys who can't provide SOMETHING night after night.

One line was going tonight. Haula and and Staal has a couple or 3 good shifts between them and the 4th line was a disaster all night.

We were lucky to get a point. The Oilers outplayed us almost the entire game. The SAT line looks awesome, but the rest of the team had nothing going except for a few shifts. Very disappointing to tie the game and then lose in OT. We actually outplayed them in OT, but then I guess we thougth this was the All-Star passing exhibition and so we kept making passes when we should have been shooting and looking for rebounds.

First pair TVR can go.
I don't know what TVR was thinking on the 3rd Oiler goal. He just stood there with no one around him and couldn't make up his mind what to do with the puck - so he forced an ill-advised pass, turned it over and they scored. Gardiner wasn't much better either.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gauthier back up here for a bit just for some new energy in place of Dzingel.

The Marleau trade may have got us a number 1 pick. But it also eliminated or maybe minimized our ability to bring up energy and make guys accountable

We have cap room if we need it for a call up. Heck we could bury Dzingel (I assume he would pass through waivers) and that alone frees up over $1 million in additional cap space for a call up. We have enough cap room to manuever a call up if we needed or wanted. I don't think the Canes are willing to do it at this point.

Do not believe I even heard Dzingel’s name mentioned other than the lines announcement.

Haula with no shots on goal in 18:45 minutes of ice time.

So much for the off-season skill acquisitions.

Back