• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Panthers 12/30 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes look to extend a club record point streak and set a record winning streak.

A return to suffocating defense has fueled the Canes run. In the 15 game streak, the Canes are allowing an average of only 8 high danger chances. And the chances have been snuffed out by good goaltending. Over the course of the streak, Koochie has a .937 save %, best in the league over that stretch. The PK has crept back to respectability, now 10th in the league. Aho missed a bunch of games but Jordan Staal found his hands and is the leading scorer during the winning streak and has 8 points in the last 5 games. Positive news out of practice yesterday, RBA said we might see Pacioretty within the next 10 games. I imagine there will be a conditioning assignment in Chicago before he plays for the Canes. Raanta was a last minute starter last time out, hopefully Koochie has recovered from whatever it is that is ailing him.

The Panthers were expected to battle for the top of the Eastern Conference but they’re floundering, sitting at NHL .500, tied for 5th in the Atlantic, 9 points out of 3rd, 8 points out of the last wild card. They’re 4-6 in their last 10 but are coming off a 7-2 pasting of the Habs last night, behind 5 points from Barkov including a hat trick. He had missed the previous 3 games with an injury. Carter Verhaeghe leads with 18 goals, Matthew Tkachuk is right behind with 17 and he leads with 26 assists. Tkachuk and Barkov are each averaging better than a point per game. Eric Staal has 3 goals and 8 points in 29 games but he’s 2nd worst on the team at -10 playing just over 14 minutes per game. Bobrovsky has started 21 games in goal, he’s been bad, 3.23/.897. He’s getting better though, his last 5 games include 3 with better than .920 save %. He played last night, so expect Spencer Knight tonight. He’s been better than Bob at 2.93/.909 in 16 games. The Panthers are 9th in goals per game, 20th in goals against. They’re 23rd on the PP and 19th on the PK.

Note the later start time, ESPN+ tonight.

A ... thank god you're back. I'm so out of the habit of posting thiese things that I would routinely come to the site, review new stuff, make a couple of comments and bugger off. And then like an hour later I'd remember that we needed a GDT

B ... Florida would be fine if they could figure out how to defend. We always think of Maurice as a defense first, last and always coach but looking at his run in Winnipeg and this Panthers team would indicate otherwise. Bottom line ... the trap only works these days if you're really, really good at it AND have the personnel for it. Florida has none of that and Mo is a one trick pony. Have fun. Now, they're absolutely talented enough to outscore their defensive and goaltending woes, but that's easier said that done and results have only come sporadically. Bottom line - I was surprised when Paul Maurice got that job and I'm surprised that he still has it.

The Canes look to extend a club record point streak and set a record winning streak.

A return to suffocating defense has fueled the Canes run. In the 15 game streak, the Canes are allowing an average of only 8 high danger chances. And the chances have been snuffed out by good goaltending. Over the course of the streak, Koochie has a .937 save %, best in the league over that stretch. The PK has crept back to respectability, now 10th in the league. Aho missed a bunch of games but Jordan Staal found his hands and is the leading scorer during the winning streak and has 8 points in the last 5 games. Positive news out of practice yesterday, RBA said we might see Pacioretty within the next 10 games. I imagine there will be a conditioning assignment in Chicago before he plays for the Canes. Raanta was a last minute starter last time out, hopefully Koochie has recovered from whatever it is that is ailing him.

The Panthers were expected to battle for the top of the Eastern Conference but they’re floundering, sitting at NHL .500, tied for 5th in the Atlantic, 9 points out of 3rd, 8 points out of the last wild card. They’re 4-6 in their last 10 but are coming off a 7-2 pasting of the Habs last night, behind 5 points from Barkov including a hat trick. He had missed the previous 3 games with an injury. Carter Verhaeghe leads with 18 goals, Matthew Tkachuk is right behind with 17 and he leads with 26 assists. Tkachuk and Barkov are each averaging better than a point per game. Eric Staal has 3 goals and 8 points in 29 games but he’s 2nd worst on the team at -10 playing just over 14 minutes per game. Bobrovsky has started 21 games in goal, he’s been bad, 3.23/.897. He’s getting better though, his last 5 games include 3 with better than .920 save %. He played last night, so expect Spencer Knight tonight. He’s been better than Bob at 2.93/.909 in 16 games. The Panthers are 9th in goals per game, 20th in goals against. They’re 23rd on the PP and 19th on the PK.

Note the later start time, ESPN+ tonight.
Thanks for the ESPN+ warning... (And start time)

Walt Ruff says Raanta is in the starter’s crease but reminds us that Koochie was there on Tuesday and didn’t start. No other changes to the lineup.

Edit: no trickery today, RBA said that Raanta gets the start.

Last edited:
Florida always comes out hard against the Canes so please be ready. Florida is much better than what they have been showing so far so I'm a bit worried about this one.

I’ll take “Guys who should stay in the studio” for $800, Alex.

Bucci, AJ Mleczko and Dominic Moore.
IMO Mleczko is OK (not great ... OK) if she's got a PxP partner who can steer her comments in productive directions. Bucci ain't that guy.

Florida always comes out hard against the Canes so please be ready. Florida is much better than what they have been showing so far so I'm a bit worried about this one.
Not on D they aren't. They're just flat out bad at keeping the puck out of the net, and if you look at that D group ... yeah, that's why. Ekblad has returned to his career form in this system after thriving in Q's hyper-aggressive pressure system, and none of the others are any good at all aside from Forsling, who is OK. At the end of the day, they straight up replaced Weegar with what little is left of Marc Staal. That's ... not what you want.

Speaking of espn plus, if you don’t want your eyes to explode, don’t tune in to the ducks vs Preds game. The ducks studio crew are wearing the ugliest gold jackets ever created by human hands.

Being covered by bad ESPN crews doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that we regularly suck in national TV games in the regular season. Plus, we've never broken through the nine straight barrier. That's some bad juju right there.

Not on D they aren't. They're just flat out bad at keeping the puck out of the net, and if you look at that D group ... yeah, that's why. Ekblad has returned to his career form in this system after thriving in Q's hyper-aggressive pressure system, and none of the others are any good at all aside from Forsling, who is OK. At the end of the day, they straight up replaced Weegar with what little is left of Marc Staal. That's ... not what you want.
That may be the case but I really don't hope the team comes out with that attitude. :LOL:

Koochie and Bob had a very animated conversation at center ice. I think Koochie was just happy to have someone else to speak to besides Svech.

Back