• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Panthers 3/7 5:00

All this Ernie Harwell talk is music to my Michigander ears.. Between Ernie "stood like the house by the side of the road and watched that one go by" (nod to Paul Carey as mentioned also) and listening to my Muskegon Mohawks battle the evil Flint Generals, Saginaw Gears, Kalamazoo Wings, Fort Wayne Komets, etc of the old IHL, I always remember going to bed as a kid listening to sports on the huge old "portable" radio hanging by its carrying strap on my bedpost. Yes, I'm old.
Bill, since you are Michigander you must have perused some of the old rinks that Michigan had to display that rough and tumble IHL hockey! As a kid we played some minor hockey tournaments at the IMA arena in Flint, the McMorran Arena in Port Huron and the rink in Kalamazoo! I had a couple of friends from my minor hockey youth days in Canada that played in the IHL and they loved that circuit back in the day.

Convertible or fastback? 327 or 427? Color?
I'd listen to Habs games at night when we lived near Corning, late 60s/early 70s. Only words I knew were player names and 'goal'.
Then, of course, there was always WOWO from mom's and Frank Burns' hometown!
Convertible 327 ... red with white interior. So sweet your teeth fell out when you started it up.

Bill, since you are Michigander you must have perused some of the old rinks that Michigan had to display that rough and tumble IHL hockey! As a kid we played some minor hockey tournaments at the IMA arena in Flint, the McMorran Arena in Port Huron and the rink in Kalamazoo! I had a couple of friends from my minor hockey youth days in Canada that played in the IHL and they loved that circuit back in the day.
Never road tripped it but we were frequent visitors to the old LC Walker Arena in town! I can still remember the smell, the chill of the air, the PA guys voice as we walked through the box office into the Arena bowl for a Mohawks game. Loved it all. Listened on the radio to the games whenever I could as well.

Ever play in the armory in Portage Lake in the UP?

Convertible 327 ... red with white interior. So sweet your teeth fell out when you started it up.
In the late 70s my dad got his hands on a '63 Corvette convertible that he lovingly restored over the next decade. It was gorgeous when it was done--stock red paint job, black leather interior, and all new chrome--and looked a lot like the picture here. In fact, it was so nice and had increased in value so much that he bought himself a newer 'Vette to drive around so that he could keep the '63 garaged most of the time.

When his business shut down in the mid-90s he had to sell it to pay the bills. The worst part is that about a year after he sold it, he told me the worst part of doing so was that he intended to give it to me someday.

1963_chevrolet_corvette_convertible_1559588907013d45cf0447b4855a_chevrolet_corvette_convertibl...jpg

Last edited:
In the late 70s my dad got his hands on a '63 Corvette convertible that he lovingly restored over the next decade. It was gorgeous when it was done--stock red paint job, black leather interior, and all new chrome--and looked a lot the picture here. In fact, it was so nice and had increased in value so much that he bought himself a newer 'Vette to drive around so that he could keep the '63 garaged most of the time.

When his business shut down in the mid-90s he had to sell it to pay the bills. The worst part is that about a year after he sold it, he told me the worst part of doing so was that he intended to give it to me someday.

View attachment 8619
OK ... so this one was my Dad's 2nd Vette. Before that he had a 1970 Stingray (last year for the chrome bumpers both front and back), but he always wanted one of those sweet 60s numbers. So, he found a guy who had stalled out on a restoration job a couple of parts short. So Dad promptly sold the 70, paid him off the dude who ran out of money with 90% of a finished resto, and sent the thing to his mechanic for a week to get the engine work finished. I went with him to get it from the mechanic and it turned out that guy really only needed to get the thing tuned up by somebody who knew what he was doing. He had the carb all out of sorts and it took Bruce a half an hour to get her humming.

5 years later he decided he wanted something more comfortable for road trips and he sold it, thereby breaking my heart. He got twice what he paid for it, which he plowed into a Mercedes 560 SL. I liked that little Mercedes ragtop and it was super comfortable for a sports car, but it 100% wasn't as cool as that Vette. No way, no how.

Back