• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Panthers 4/6 7:00

JFG

They could have gone:

Northwest Division
Vancouver
Seattle
San Jose
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Colorado
Minnesota

Southwest Division
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Las Vegas
Arizona
Dallas
St. Louis
Chicago
Nashville

And while we're at it, let's redo the East:

Northeast Division
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Boston
Washington

Southeast Division
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
New Jersey
Carolina
Columbus
Detroit
Tampa Bay
Florida

HeyKurtz

Not that I'm advocating here, but that's been the case on the North division all season and the earth hasn't opened up and swallowed the Leafs whole or anything.
Apples to oranges...they had to do that with the closed border. It's also only for a shortened season.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Apples to oranges...they had to do that with the closed border. It's also only for a shortened season.
Meh. I know that. I'm just saying that there's been a real reluctance in the league office to mix time zones in Divisions, and it turns out that the world doesn't stop turning when you do that.

HeyKurtz

Meh. I know that. I'm just saying that there's been a real reluctance in the league office to mix time zones in Divisions, and it turns out that the world doesn't stop turning when you do that.
The reluctance is for a very good reason. If you're a fan of a team living in the easternmost time zone of a division, you don't want a significant portion of your team's games starting at 9PM. It also would significantly suppress TV ratings.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The reluctance is for a very good reason. If you're a fan of a team living in the easternmost time zone of a division, you don't want a significant portion of your team's games starting at 9PM. It also would significantly suppress TV ratings.
How are ratings in Canada this season? I understand they are quite high, despite the start time issue. I'm not saying that's not important. I AM saying it's not the be-all and end all, and that Nashville might actually be fine in a division with teams that actually share something more in common with them than a timezone.

HeyKurtz

How are ratings in Canada this season?
I don't know the specific numbers, but what is happening with media consumption during the pandemic--especially in Canada, which is much more "locked down" than we are here in the US--is not really projectible to the post-pandemic world.

With that said, TV ratings for hockey in Canada are always high and the structure of the TV market is completely different from ours, with most games broadcast by national players who often regionalize their offerings by province, but do not focus on individual metropolitan areas to the same extent that we do here. Even in a big hockey market like Minneapolis-St. Paul, if the Wild are playing a large number of games in the Pacific time zone, I can assure you that their local market TV ratings will be a lot lower than when they have more divisional games in Central time zone markets like Nashville, St. Louis, Dallas, and Chicago, as they do under the "normal" divisional configurations. That impacts the value of their local TV rights, which is why the league tries to the fullest extent possible to keep divisions grouped by time zone.

Under the pre-pandemic divisional alignment, the time zone distribution was as follows:

Atlantic (all eight teams - ET)
Metropolitan (all eight teams - ET)
Central (six teams - CT, one team - MT)
Pacific (seven teams - PT, one team - MT*)

*For part of the season, the one MT team--Arizona--is essentially a PT team because Arizona doesn't observer Daylight Saving TIme