• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Panthers 4/6 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes and 1st place Panthers meet for a pivotal series.

Petr Mrazek made a triumphant return on Sunday, pitching a shutout after missing 2 months. Jordan Martinook scored the only goal. The game wasn’t without losses though, Brock McGinn will probably be out for a while, as RBA said, when he takes himself out, you know it serious. We could well see Mrazek again tonight.

Who expected the Panthers to be leading the division 40 games in? They’re tied with Colorado with 56 points and are 2nd in points %. They lead the Lightning by 2 and the Canes by 3 but each have games in hand on them. The Panthers are on a 6 game winning streak, the last 3 without Aaron Ekblad, who is done for the season. Old friend Gustav Forsling has stepped into the top pair and has a 4 game point streak and is +6 in the 3 games on the top pair. Jonathan Huberdeau leads with 28 assists and 42 points. Carter Verhaeghe has 17 goals and is +23, tied for 2nd in the league. Bobrovsky has improved since the last time the teams met in early March, he‘s at 2.50/.922 in his last 10 games. Driedger has been otherworldly since then though, at 1.20/.959 in 5 games.

So weird to see guys who couldn't get anywhere near the Canes regular roster, like Forsling and Anton Forsberg, emerge in other places. That's the kind of thing Carolina used to do ... grab some fringe guy on a good team and slot him up ... generally out of desperation.

Thus far the season series with the Kitties has tilted Carolina's direction but it's been a freaking slugfest. If it was a playoff series, it would be a danged entertaining one ... three extra time results in 4 games, with the only clean win going to the Canes in the most recent meeting. These last four games with Florida look like they will go a long, long way to determining 2nd place in the Division ... or maybe first. Who knows?

Last edited:
Win this one please guys.. Seriously this is one hell of a matchup.. I suspect Ned in goal no need to make Mrazek start them all.

Also time for me to Gripe about the new Bally Ticker again :) but I won't here..

Michael Smith hasn’t posted the lineup yet, but Geekie is at the morning skate and will replace McGinn on the 4th line. I imagine he’ll alternate taking draws with Lorentz depending on which side of the ice they’re on. It also looks like Mrazek will get the start with Ned backing up, Reimer skated with Turbo, Gardiner and the taxi squad.

Also time for me to Gripe about the new Bally Ticker again :) but I won't here..

OK, glad that I'm not the only to hate that thing. I'll add another thing: there is absolutely no reason for the Bally's/Hurricanes logo bug to be so damn big in that upper right corner

OK, glad that I'm not the only to hate that thing. I'll add another thing: there is absolutely no reason for the Bally's/Hurricanes logo bug to be so damn big in that upper right corner
Oh, heck no. So far as I can tell pretty much EVERYbody hates the Bally ticker.

Per Chip, this is how they practiced this morning:

Svech-Aho-Fast
Nino-Trocheck-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Martinook
Paquette-Geekie-Lorentz

Every year there is a team or two that defies logic and puts up a record that just seems head scratching based on the roster...for me, the Panthers are one of those teams this season. I have not been able to find one hockey media guy or journalist that covers the NHL on a regular basis that had the Panthers anywhere near a playoff spot in this division. Many had them and Chicago as the two cellar dwellers by a country mile. So yeah Coach Q is a great coach and they have Barkov and Huberdeau as a great 1-2 punch...but all and all they are overachieving to a point that you would think they would slow down...especially with Ekblad now out for the year. I hope the Canes can play their A game and really put a hurting on them the next two games here.

Tonight’s officials

Referees:
Wes McCauley #4, Dean Morton #36

Linesmen:
Tony Sericolo #84, Brandon Schrader #85

Same refs as Sunday, Schrader is a referee working a split NHL/AHL contract but is moonlighting on the lines.

So Anyway no need to clean the whistles.. not like they'll be used except for puck over glass or goals..

Not me *shrug*
I generally have no issue with it at all either

That said, now that we enter that time of year when I will probably be watching my Mets on the DVR after watching Canes games live, I will not be happy seeing the score fly by on the bottom of my screen.

Back