• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Preds 4/15 7:00

I pulled a 15 hour day @ work and only caught some of tonight's game on the radio. Loved the result. Any comments on Hakanpaa's game, or is he what we thought he might be. My Dad said he likes Paa's size and grit.

Jim

I thought Hakanpaa's game looked fine. The rest of the Canes also came to play tonight. Nice statement after a pretty "gross" performance on Monday.

I thought Hakanpaa's game looked fine. The rest of the Canes also came to play tonight. Nice statement after a pretty "gross" performance on Monday.
He was fine. The first period was kind of meh but they controlled play in the last 2. It let RBA spread the minutes around. All of the forwards had between 11 and 13 minutes at even strength. The D minutes were a little more spread out with Bean the low man at just over 13 and Slavin at 19:30.

I pulled a 15 hour day @ work and only caught some of tonight's game on the radio. Loved the result. Any comments on Hakanpaa's game, or is he what we thought he might be. My Dad said he likes Paa's size and grit.

Jim
I’m with your dad. Dude had some nice hits and not out of position to do so.
Somewhere Reaper is glad he brought a big ol purse with him!

The Canes frustrated the 💩out of the Preds by giving them next to nothing in the middle of the ice all night long. I thought Brindy had everyone committed to the defensive game plan and the special teams did more than enough to cash in on their chances. Hakanpaa was steady and it was nice to have an imposing big body defender back there.

I thought Bean's game left a lot to be desired....and did some good things, but he's still learning. I loved that the team took control late in the 1st and then throughout the rest of the game. I didn't even get too upset on Aho's TO that led to a shorty because otherwise we were moving the puck well and playing fast and aggressively.

Hakpaa was ok. Showed some aggressiveness. Still don't think he's a good fit with Beaner as he's too slow to make up for the kid's mistakes.

Nice to see the puck luck's back. Rinse & Repeat on Saturday.

Hakpaa was ok. Showed some aggressiveness. Still don't think he's a good fit with Beaner as he's too slow to make up for the kid's mistakes.

Nice to see the puck luck's back. Rinse & Repeat on Saturday.
Yeah, Hakanpaa is not fast. But he can make up for it with good positioning. And Bean will get better too, finally playing on his natural side.

I didn’t think he was that slow. I think even aside from the lefty righty thing he brings more of what we need in the lineup than Fleury.

Holding? More like hugging
More like Svech hurt Ekholm's feelings by tea kettling the guy twice in one shift and the refs still freaking hate Svech for some reason so they evened it up. My advice ... if you don't want to end up on your butt in front of your own net, try mugging somebody smaller.

Thoughts ...

Best team effort since that shutout they threw on the Panthers a couple of weeks ago, and it was REALLY nice to see following whatever the heck they were doing against Detroit. The Canes are in Nashville's head a bit, and it showed hard in the 2nd period when they got super frustrated ad way off their game.

Hakanpaa was fine. People are going to over-value the guy for the same reason they over-valued Edmondson and DeHaan ... they all hit guys and people are simple that way. Give him and Bean a few games to figure out the chemistry and I like the mix better than having Bean on his weak side trying to prop up whatever's left of Gardiner on any given night. Given the relative strength of the other two pairings, that pair is always going to be a target for opposing coaches, so having a guy who can mix it up a bit is probably a really good fit. He's maybe 10% less cumbersome than I remember, so that's nice. Still a fairly basic D, but probably a good fit.

Yeah, Hakanpaa is not fast. But he can make up for it with good positioning. And Bean will get better too, finally playing on his natural side.
Agree. Bean is still in that learning phase of his development and tries to press things; eventually the game should come to him. For all the WTFs that Dougie creates with pinching sometimes, Bean can learn a lot from how Dougie is the absolute best on our D Core in getting the puck thorough to the net. The dude is great at it.

Back