• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Red Wings 3/4 7:00

HurryCanes

Don’t know if he was provoked but damn, a slew foot just scares the jeebus outta me. Not a good look.

cmaleski2

So a few things if any of you are planning to go to games:

* Unless you just love prepackaged Turkey wraps, chicken salad sandwiches, or the bags of chips and candy at the C store, you better eat before the game. That was all there was to eat. No hot or cooked food of any sort is being sold. No hot dogs, no pizza, no pretzels, or popcorn or nachos. Just those 2 cold prepackaged options.

* I'm sure they are working out the kinks, but even with limited attendance it took quite a while to get in the door.

* The big scoreboard wasn't fully functional (was not showing score or penalties)

* The noise they pump into the arena was annoying from the puck drop and got more annoying as the game progressed.

Despite all of that it was nice to be back in the building. While the seats we have are in theory an 'upgrade' (sitting in lower level South upper rows vs. our regular seats in Lower level North upper rows) I missed my regular seats and much prefer them.

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Maniscalco keeps talking about 2,924 in the building. If that’s the case, they’re basing the 15% off the basketball capacity of 19,722, not the hockey capacity of 18,680.
We all assumed the 15% would be based on the hockey capacity of 18,680 and all the articles from last week mentioned 2,802 as the attendance cap. But Luke’s article today notes that the cap is based on the Canes highest ever attendance, 19,495, including standing room, for game 4 of the 2019 Islanders series.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
So a few things if any of you are planning to go to games:

* Unless you just love prepackaged Turkey wraps, chicken salad sandwiches, or the bags of chips and candy at the C store, you better eat before the game. That was all there was to eat. No hot or cooked food of any sort is being sold. No hot dogs, no pizza, no pretzels, or popcorn or nachos. Just those 2 cold prepackaged options.

* I'm sure they are working out the kinks, but even with limited attendance it took quite a while to get in the door.

* The big scoreboard wasn't fully functional (was not showing score or penalties)

* The noise they pump into the arena was annoying from the puck drop and got more annoying as the game progressed.

Despite all of that it was nice to be back in the building. While the seats we have are in theory an 'upgrade' (sitting in lower level South upper rows vs. our regular seats in Lower level North upper rows) I missed my regular seats and much prefer them.
Luke’s article today also mentioned that arena GM Dave Olsen told the arena authority that he expected 8 weeks to prep for opening. He got 8 days.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
So, in other words, homeboy didn't sleep for 8 nights.
I would imagine that neither he nor Larry Perkins got much sleep in the last week.

Canes Country had a good story about Perkins a few weeks ago.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Luke’s article today also mentioned that arena GM Dave Olsen told the arena authority that he expected 8 weeks to prep for opening. He got 8 days.

They had been running a skeleton crew focused entirely on team operations and basic security and had to transition to a scaled down "normal" gameday operation in those 8 days. I'd say it's about half a miracle that they pulled it off at all. Dave Olsen is under-appreciated in the best of times, right now he might be criminally so.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Game Thoughts:

- I didn't mind the 1st period as much as some of y'all did, but the 2nd was rough as a cob. Nothing big or structural, but there were just so many small mistakes that it added up to to the same result ... getting out-played by freaking Detroit. Look, it happens but nobody says you have to be happy about it. Fortunately they suck and couldn't turn 15 minutes of kicking the Canes in the head into anything worse than one goal.

- That said, great response in the 3rd. Yeah, they're dead tired but the Canes decided not to buckle which is what you want to see. Shaking out the lines made a difference, so hats off to Brindy and Daniels for that little wrinkle. Very Mixmaster Lavy-esque.

- Pesce ... that's what happens when fundamentally nice guys decide to get chippy. They don't have the dark skills and end up with a mess. Next time just chop the guy in the back of the legs and call it a day, Brett.

- Minor complaint, but if we're going to keep Bean in the lineup then we need to let him play on his strong side. He's a MUCH better passer than Fleury will probably ever be, but having him on his weak side robs him of much of his impact ... and weakens his defensive game as well. Fleury is also not as effective on the weak side, but the delta is smaller.

- I understand that Carolina is going fully dark today. No practice, no video sessions, no media, no nothing. Good call. These guys need a day away from work in the worst sort of way. They're getting results, which is great, but they're obviously running on fumes.

CanadaCanes

I thought Ned made 2-3 first class saves that allowed the Canes to stay in it. A couple of breakaway saves were really solid.

HurryCanes

Will agree that the faux crowd noise is very distracting. Earbuds for me next time. Otherwise, good to be back in the arena.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I thought Ned made 2-3 first class saves that allowed the Canes to stay in it. A couple of breakaway saves were really solid.
Yeah, he was pretty good again. His rebound control got pretty sketchy and (as always) he made a few curious decisions outside of his crease ... but the kid can stop the puck well enough, and he's a battler. He's been around the system so long it's sort of like watching your own kid grow up and improve in their given sport.