• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Game #22, VS Winnipeg, Thursday, March 4th, 7:00EST

just read this in an article from a couple of years ago ...oops

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin refused to include Ryan Poehling in a deal for Ryan O’Reilly which still remains to be a good decision.​

Hard to predict what's gonna happen.

A few years ago, people said the Sens were stupid for trading Erik Karlsson, and screwed themselves royally by trading for Sharks first round pick, and also for trading for Duchene.

Two years later, they ended up with the #2 and #5 overall pick last year, and also with Brady Tkachuk, Chabot, Stuzle, Batherson and a nice pool of youngsters.

I'd say the Sens played this to perfection.....even their worst signing ever, Matt Murray, is turning out to be ok (so far)

Need a heathy Josh Anderson in the lineup and I still see MB acquiring Hall.
I can see that..and if not Hall, it’ll be someone else. Bergevin put himself in the spotlight; he ain’t going down without taking a few more swings.

I would argue that opening up the wallet to sign these guys who did well individually but couldn’t move the needle makes Bergevin look like he didn’t understand his team’s potential

I dunno, I think it moved the needle alright. Where would we be without Toffoli, Anderson and Allen with Price, Danault, Tatar, Weber and Chiarot having subpar-to-terrible years? The veteran core of this team hasn't hold their part of the deal.

Tampa is a good model for us to emulate, almost no other team have been able to replicate their success.

The issue goes deeper than management, it's cultural. We will lose 2-1 and we (media, fans, teams) will spend the next 2 days analyzing the 2 goals allowed and the errors that lead to it and how the team needs to tighten it up. It's not new either. Even Bowman was a defensive coach. The last many generations have grew up idolizing the Gainey, Carbonneau and Roy of the team while chasing away the Larouche, Lafleur, Richer, Turgeon, Subban. It's always a problem if an offensive forward doesn't play defense or finish his check or create turnovers, but it's never an issue if a hardworking defensive player can't generate any offense. When drafting players we praise their two-way play or leadership ability. Plus they need to handle the constant scrutiny that comes with every slump. We haven't had a top 10 player in scoring since 1980.
I agree with cultural.

We are a culture of defeatist...since the British won the colonial war...our journalists live on drama/scandals.....just look at how the whole Price/Waite events have unfolded in the media. French media have been on a 48-hour bash-fest

I dunno, I think it moved the needle alright. Where would we be without Toffoli, Anderson and Allen with Price, Danault, Tatar, Weber and Chiarot having subpar-to-terrible years? The veteran core of this team hasn't hold their part of the deal.

that’s my point... he may have overrated what he had. He owns his veterans

Price hasn’t been great for years. Chiarot had a career yr last year. Weber regression should be expected.

Toffoli is a nice player. Anderson “looks great” but doesn’t have much of a track record of putting all his skills together over a full yr

Yes but what's the alternative ?

Trade Price-Weber ? Sure, i am all for a true rebuild.....

Yes but what's the alternative ?

Trade Price-Weber ? Sure, i am all for a true rebuild.....

No alternative right now...we’re kind of in the middle. Aka “Hope Mode”

Get a scorer at the deadline, promote CC who becomes an instant hit, Price returns to form, Suzuki becomes Bergeron, etc etc

that’s my point... he may have overrated what he had. He owns his veterans

Price hasn’t been great for years. Chiarot had a career yr last year. Weber regression should be expected.

Toffoli is a nice player. Anderson “looks great” but doesn’t have much of a track record of putting all his skills together over a full yr

The biggest surprise for me is how ineffective the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line has been this year, and that changes everything. Now teams can focus on Suzuki and the other lines can't answer. It was supposed to be Suzuki + Danault's line as 1-2 punch with KK being matched accordingly.

Reactions: CH1
No alternative right now...we’re kind of in the middle. Aka “Hope Mode”

Get a scorer at the deadline, promote CC who becomes an instant hit, Price returns to form, Suzuki becomes Bergeron, etc etc
You forgot to mention: Molson becomes Robert Kraft

The biggest surprise for me is how ineffective the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line has been this year, and that changes everything. Now teams can focus on Suzuki and the other lines can't answer. It was supposed to be Suzuki + Danault's line as 1-2 punch with KK being matched accordingly.
It’s obvious that Tatar and Dano are bothered by their contract situation

The team will continue to struggle until Suzuki and KK take their game to the next level (no sure thing). Bergevin “sales pitch” to Geoff, the media, and to himself is based on his young centres.

The another part of the pitch was “depth”. Well Jake Evans doesn’t look any better than most 4th line centres out there. And as Sal just pointed out, depth won’t win you games in OT.

And without stars, nobody can take a night off, it’s hard to win consistently when there’s no margin for error
Bingo , you take a 24th place team and add depth in the offseason

Now Nero expects a major improvement based on 2 young centers who played well in a BS play in format

He knows he is getting fired if we don’t make the playoffs this year

That's because we force ourselves to hire from a small pool of management/coaching candidates. And most French coaches are built from the Lemaire mold: defense defense defense

This has prevented us from properly developing and maximizing the potential of our offensive-minded prospects. You don't need to draft top 3 all the time....you need to develop mid to late rounders into MVPs....like Tampa has done with Kucherov, St-Louis, Point, etc

Team can’t identify talent , even when we try to pick skill like Scherbak it blows up in our fac

we don’t disagree... I’m just saying that Geoff and I have different goals. He’s worried about the team year to year; I want to see another Cup before I die.

For me, squeezing into the playoffs and losing in the 1st round is no better than being a lotto team — it might even be worse because of the draft pick loss

It’s way worse , especially when your system doesn’t have the reinforcements to take over

Its been a blender job for 9 years and only going to get worse

Team will lose some key players in the offseason and Weber’s game clearly is in decline right now.

Hard to predict what's gonna happen.

A few years ago, people said the Sens were stupid for trading Erik Karlsson, and screwed themselves royally by trading for Sharks first round pick, and also for trading for Duchene.

Two years later, they ended up with the #2 and #5 overall pick last year, and also with Brady Tkachuk, Chabot, Stuzle, Batherson and a nice pool of youngsters.

I'd say the Sens played this to perfection.....even their worst signing ever, Matt Murray, is turning out to be ok (so far)

Solid job but they could of done better

Regime knew they couldn’t resign their stars so trade them earlier .

Plus they jumped the gun acquiring MD , the team wasn’t good after that one heroic playoff run
and Dorion thought that was the start of a good future and wanted to extend their run.

At least their skilled young base will definitely get better . We needed that retool my nasty in 2016 , perfect opportunity to reset the team.

5 years later we can’t be much worse than last year . This year is just a one year BS format

exactly this. Suzuki was supposed to be a little shielded this year and has become the #1 centre as a 21 year old because everyone else is useless. No insulation whatsoever

Suzuki is making young player mistakes, which are magnified because he's playing tough matchups and probably more minutes than he should be at this point.

I'm still very bullish on him, but he needs some help. We desperately need another creative centre

Yes. Suzuki has harder competition than Danault. They’re not even using Danault against the top centers anymore, I mean what’s he good for then?

Back