• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT | Game 51 | VS Stars | Saturday, February 10 | 1:00PM EST

Need a second line to take pressure off Nick

Dach has to take off next year , need another skilled top 6 in this draft

Bottom 6 is pure trash , but lets fix the core first

Roy , Beck and others will be on the bottom 6

Need 1 more year to to take out the trash
Bottom 6 is the least of my worries

Need a second line to take pressure off Nick

Dach has to take off next year , need another skilled top 6 in this draft

But, we have Dach and we have Newhook. We need someone who can play with them now. It might get resolved at the draft, but maybe it’s a trade (at the draft). Maybe it’s a drafted kid, but they gotta be able to play and soon. How likely is that?

Are we gonna draft someone and hope they can contribute when Suzuki is 28?

Bottom 6 is the least of my worries

I think it’s a huge liability. They are really fucken bad. Zero punch, unable to play D. 22-24 minutes of crap. Our top lines aren’t ever going to be among the super elite (unless Dach and Slafkovsky go wild.)
They need support from the bottom 6.

I think we have the players at D and a decent Top 6 emerging.

But, we have Dach and we have Newhook. We need someone who can play with them now. It might get resolved at the draft, but maybe it’s a trade (at the draft). Maybe it’s a drafted kid, but they gotta be able to play and soon. How likely is that?

28 is prime.

I think it’s a huge liability. They are really fucken bad. Zero punch, unable to play D. 22-24 minutes of crap. Our top lines aren’t ever going to be among the super elite (unless Dach and Slafkovsky go wild.)
They need support from the bottom 6.

I think we have the players at D and a decent Top 6 emerging.
Oh no I agree, but until we have a solid top 6, I’m not going to worry about our bottom 6. It’s the easiest position to fill.

and can't just donit by drafting that is for sure

Totally. We have assets - time to start using them.

There is Roy, Beck, Tuch… maybe Mesar (?) coming in. But how many can really effective pros? And how many can play a bottom 6 game for a good team? They are kids, at best rookies in 25-26, maybe effective pros in 26-27.

And obviously the top 6 is more important, but this bottom 6 is so bad they undermine the whole group. I’m tired of Evans and Pezzetta. Get them outta here, ASAP.

Totally. We have assets - time to start using them.

There is Roy, Beck, Tuch… maybe Mesar (?) coming in. But how many can really effective pros? And how many can play a bottom 6 game for a good team? They are kids, at best rookies in 25-26, maybe effective pros in 26-27.

And obviously the top 6 is more important, but this bottom 6 is so bad they undermine the whole group. I’m tired of Evans and Pezzetta. Get them outta here, ASAP.
What I bolded is a reality that not many are willing to come to terms with. The young players we have on our team right now, as we speak, with the exception of Guhle & Slafkovsky are either going to be expensive veterans near the end of their prime or expensive vets on the downside when this team is [probably] ready to compete. This is a major, major problem.

Worth repeating: This rebuild can't end until we get either an elite #1 center or an elite #1 d-man. More likely than not, we'll have to find those guys early in the draft. Until one (or both) of those players are found, the wheels are just going to keep on spinning and this team won't go anywhere.

Beyond that, we have literally zero prospects with the potential to be top-6 forwards. Some of you can get all happy guppy with Beck (who's reverted back to the mean after his 6 point game, btw) but he's a depth center at best. Mesar, I dunno.

Assuming we draft a forward with our top-7 ish pick this season. Excluding Celebrini, the earliest that player could have a real impact on the team? Maybe 2026-2027? And are you sure that the rest of the top-6 we have now's good enough? Because I'm not.

This season is toast , next season begins the challenge of having that second line

Dach has to prove first he can play a full season

What I bolded is a reality that not many are willing to come to terms with. The young players we have on our team right now, as we speak, with the exception of Guhle & Slafkovsky are either going to be expensive veterans near the end of their prime or expensive vets on the downside when this team is [probably] ready to compete. This is a major, major problem.

Worth repeating: This rebuild can't end until we get either an elite #1 center or an elite #1 d-man. More likely than not, we'll have to find those guys early in the draft. Until one (or both) of those players are found, the wheels are just going to keep on spinning and this team won't go anywhere.

Beyond that, we have literally zero prospects with the potential to be top-6 forwards. Some of you can get all happy guppy with Beck (who's reverted back to the mean after his 6 point game, btw) but he's a depth center at best. Mesar, I dunno.

Assuming we draft a forward with our top-7 ish pick this season. Excluding Celebrini, the earliest that player could have a real impact on the team? Maybe 2026-2027? And are you sure that the rest of the top-6 we have now's good enough? Because I'm not.
It’s not good enough but next year Habs have to have a clear indication if Newhook and Dach are bonefide top 6 players

There is no magic wand you can waive , this isn’t the NFL where you can fix your needs overnight

I said it before the Blues model is our best bet , solid top 9 with a Pietro type 1D

Asset management is key moving forward

If this ship hasn’t turned around in 3 years time to move on from Nick and others , get your haul and reboot

Patience , this a complete fucken tear down

I think HuGo can walk and chew gum at the same time. They can address the bottom of the line up and still make their moves re: the top of the line up.

We have a (potentially very) promising D on the horizon. But we can’t expect to blood the youth in a sensible way if two lines are getting caved on every shift. Our D problems, especially on transition, are largely due to our forwards. It’s been farcical a times.

Vegas won a Cup without drafting anybody worth noting. We need to be creative.

Vegas won a Cup without drafting anybody worth noting. We need to be creative.
Sure, but they had a competitive team from the get go and were perennial contenders from the minute they stepped into the league, to the surprise of everyone.

As perennial contenders, they figured out ways to get Eichel/Pietrangelo/Stone. Good on them, but we're years away from getting there. Not only that, we have contracts preventing us from making certain moves and a certain amount of delusion by some here that think we're not that far away from being a playoff team.

Sure, but they had a competitive team from the get go and were perennial contenders from the minute they stepped into the league, to the surprise of everyone.

As perennial contenders, they figured out ways to get Eichel/Pietrangelo/Stone. Good on them, but we're years away from getting there. Not only that, we have contracts preventing us from making certain moves and a certain amount of delusion by some here that think we're not that far away from being a playoff team.
Be honest, did you think the Flyers were going to be a playoff team this season? None of us have any way of knowing if we’re several years away. I think it’s at least 2 years away . . . but I can’t know that.

I fully understand that, but I also understand that we’re done finishing bottom 5 after this year, barring injuries, so we’ll need to be very lucky or creative to get those #1 guys.

Back