• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT | Game 51 | VS Stars | Saturday, February 10 | 1:00PM EST

I think it’s a huge liability. They are really fucken bad. Zero punch, unable to play D. 22-24 minutes of crap. Our top lines aren’t ever going to be among the super elite (unless Dach and Slafkovsky go wild.)
They need support from the bottom 6.

I think we have the players at D and a decent Top 6 emerging.
Yes but bottom six is the easiest problem to fix. The Habs, thanks to a decade of Bergy and Timmins, have a surplus of bottom six players and you can always find them in the draft and on the waiver wire.

I think HuGo can walk and chew gum at the same time. They can address the bottom of the line up and still make their moves re: the top of the line up.

We have a (potentially very) promising D on the horizon. But we can’t expect to blood the youth in a sensible way if two lines are getting caved on every shift. Our D problems, especially on transition, are largely due to our forwards. It’s been farcical a times.
Exactly but the problem is Hugo inherited a team that had squat to work with

Limited prospects , terrible contracts , and maybe 5 players to work with

There was no structure in place where you can say one facet of this rebuild is intact such as your 1D is in place or we have 2 young
scoring wingers like a Tkatchuk and Nylander at 22-23

Be honest, did you think the Flyers were going to be a playoff team this season? None of us have any way of knowing if we’re several years away. I think it’s at least 2 years away . . . but I can’t know that.
In a league where 50% of the teams make the playoffs? No, I didn't think they were going to make the playoffs, and I don't care if they do. They're not going to do anything once they get there. If your end goal is to be like The Charlatan and just make the playoffs and, "you never know" then I think your standards are too low.

I fully understand that, but I also understand that we’re done finishing bottom 5 after this year, barring injuries, so we’ll need to be very lucky or creative to get those #1 guys.
I hope everyone here has gotten used to a team that will never be good enough to win and never be good enough to fail, because that's where this team's headed.

What I bolded is a reality that not many are willing to come to terms with. The young players we have on our team right now, as we speak, with the exception of Guhle & Slafkovsky are either going to be expensive veterans near the end of their prime or expensive vets on the downside when this team is [probably] ready to compete. This is a major, major problem.

Worth repeating: This rebuild can't end until we get either an elite #1 center or an elite #1 d-man. More likely than not, we'll have to find those guys early in the draft. Until one (or both) of those players are found, the wheels are just going to keep on spinning and this team won't go anywhere.

Beyond that, we have literally zero prospects with the potential to be top-6 forwards. Some of you can get all happy guppy with Beck (who's reverted back to the mean after his 6 point game, btw) but he's a depth center at best. Mesar, I dunno.

Assuming we draft a forward with our top-7 ish pick this season. Excluding Celebrini, the earliest that player could have a real impact on the team? Maybe 2026-2027? And are you sure that the rest of the top-6 we have now's good enough? Because I'm not.
Which is why I said throw 3 firsts at Edmonton for Draisaitl. Once the Habs get an elite center the rest starts dropping into place.

If the Habs don't win the lottery and the pick next year is protected I give Edmonton all three for Draisaitl and I think he would thrive in a market likel Montreal being THE guy.

That would signal rebuild over and they would switch to signing veterans though.

In a league where 50% of the teams make the playoffs? No, I didn't think they were going to make the playoffs, and I don't care if they do. They're not going to do anything once they get there. If your end goal is to be like The Charlatan and just make the playoffs and, "you never know" then I think your standards are too low.
It's not my end goal, obviously, but I also don't claim to have precise knowledge of the future.

I hope everyone here has gotten used to a team that will never be good enough to win and never be good enough to fail, because that's where this team's headed.
Again, you have no way of knowing that with the certainty that you seem to profess.

The way the managers in this league are, you can't be passive. I get that if you're trying to earn a second contract as a GM, you can be passive. Sell hope & dreams, considering it takes 3 to 5 to see if your first draft is a success or not.

Teams need to be aggressively trying to win or aggressively trying to lose. If you want to try winning without giving up the future, you're never going to win. And if you don't think you can win with the core you have now, you need to rip that team to shreds ASAP and trade everything of value.

Conflating intuition with fact is common, so common it's an attorney's go to move.

Again, you have no way of knowing that with the certainty that you seem to profess.
And, as usual, even if I were to give you evidence to support my stance, you would dismiss it.

I've given plenty of examples throughout the last 20+ years in the NHL why signing forwards to long-term contracts at the end of their 20s / early 30s is a terrible idea. The probability of those contracts being terrible is incredibly high. You, among others here, summarily dismiss the notion with the same excuse of not having the ability of foresight.

"but what about Joe Pavelski bro he's still good and he's 40!"

Yes, there are exceptions. There will always be exceptions. However, the metaphor I always use is the same: I don't expect to pay my mortgage by hoping that this time I'll win the lottery.

And, as usual, even if I were to give you evidence to support my stance, you would dismiss it.
No, I would not. The D looks promising and the goaltending should be fine if Fowler pans out. What transpires up front will be key, and we don't know how that will turn out the next couple of seasons. Obviously I'd love to add a MacKinnon level talent up front but that might/likely will not happen - the odds of landing a top 3 forward in the world are slim for all teams. But to say, as you do, that you KNOW with near certainty that we won't have a contender is a few years is just wrong.

No, I would not. The D looks promising and the goaltending should be fine if Fowler pans out. What transpires up front will be key, and we don't know how that will turn out the next couple of seasons. Obviously I'd love to add a MacKinnon level talent up front but that might/likely will not happen - the odds of landing a top 3 forward in the world are slim for all teams. But to say, as you do, that you KNOW with near certainty that we won't have a contender is a few years is just wrong.
lol

Says the guy who dismisses everything as hogwash when you disagree with it.

This 100%.

Win the Cup or fuck off. If you don't have a realistic shot at a championship, blow it up and tank. I don't give a shit about wildcard berths and one or two round playoff runs. Be great or be garbage.

Back