• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT - Game 56 Ducks @ Canadiens - 2/6/20 - 7:00EST

LOL. If you give me the name of the crystal ball company you own, I'll buy some stock in it.

As of today, our dmen prospects aren't what you would call stud blue-chips. So, are we willing to leave everything to luck that we will develop someone as good as Petry ? Because clearly we have developed amazing dmen in the past 25 years, outside of Markov-Subban.

You don't need a crystal ball, you need to just realize how this team has developed in the past decades

Why give 4-5 years to a vet teamed with Weber at 35 for a bubble team going nowhere ?

Add that with Price at 33 and a bunch of vets hitting their late 20`s

I understand your point Rolex but we are at the wrong stage to make that move

The idea is to improve a bubble team not keep the train going for years to come

If our roster had an established core ready to compete keep him

We don't have a single player on that list after 8 years

Even in a true rebuild, you still need to keep vets to help mentor the youth. You can't just throw a lineup of Mete-Juulsen-Fleury-Brooks-Romanov out there....their confidence will be destroyed after 10 games. Dmen are not forwards....forwards can be thrown into the mix at a young age, but dmen position takes longer to master. They need veterans to help them through the rebuild.

As for Price, I think you all know i've been saying for over 10 years now that we are building the wrong way by building around a goalie in this new NHL.

As of today, our dmen prospects aren't what you would call stud blue-chips. So, are we willing to leave everything to luck that we will develop someone as good as Petry ? Because clearly we have developed amazing dmen in the past 25 years, outside of Markov-Subban.

You don't need a crystal ball, you need to just realize how this team has developed in the past decades

Romanov is considered to be an outstanding D prospect. Also, Petry himself was not such a high draft pick. Players emerge who you never imagined would. That doesn't mean that Petry should be dealt.

Last edited:
Romanov is considered to be an outstanding D prospect. Also, Petry himself was not such a high draft pick. Players emerge who you never imagined would.
How many Habs draft picks have actually emerged from nowhere and surprised? Gallagher of course, likely Fleury over time and I’m holding out hope for Evans. That’s been the orgs second biggest failing on the amateur side after not executing on 1st rounders.

BTW, Evans looked a lot faster last night than I recall...

Even in a true rebuild, you still need to keep vets to help mentor the youth. You can't just throw a lineup of Mete-Juulsen-Fleury-Brooks-Romanov out there....their confidence will be destroyed after 10 games. Dmen are not forwards....forwards can be thrown into the mix at a young age, but dmen position takes longer to master. They need veterans to help them through the rebuild.

As for Price, I think you all know i've been saying for over 10 years now that we are building the wrong way by building around a goalie in this new NHL.

Plenty of vets still in the fold to mentor

Weber , Gally , Armia , JD , Price , Chariot , etc....

You can pick up vet D in the summer if need be to buy some time

We don't have a clue what these kids will develop into

What you don't want is most of our vets declining and not enough talent in the fold

Petry and Tatar can fetch more youth

You want to add kids when your in the upswing not in decline

What you don't want is most of our vets declining and not enough talent in the fold

Sabres say hello, rebuild has entered year 10 and GM #3 soon to be GM #4

NYR are about to resign Kreider, youth need to be groomed with vets..

Sabres say hello, rebuild has entered year 10 and GM #3 soon to be GM #4

NYR are about to resign Kreider, youth need to be groomed with vets..

Sabres have the same collection of knobs running their team like us

Plus they don't have any vets worth anything

Bad trades , signings , etc ...

When your regime is Dumb and Dumber how do you improve ?

Sabres have the same collection of knobs running their team like us

Plus they don't have any vets worth anything

Bad trades , signings , etc ...

When your regime is Dumb and Dumber how do you improve ?
Sabres have arguably the best owner in the game - completely dedicated to doing anything to bring in a winner. Everyone lauded the TIm Murray hiring from his elite scouting history, same with Botterill. They have elite talent but once again proves unlike other sports hockey is truly a team game.

The issue is the the culture of losing is now deeply rooted within the org, that’s the danger of the “tanking strategy”. Once apathy to losing sets in...

Sabres have arguably the best owner in the game - completely dedicated to doing anything to bring in a winner. Everyone lauded the TIm Murray hiring from his elite scouting history, same with Botterill. They have elite talent but once again proves unlike other sports hockey is truly a team game.

The issue is the the culture of losing is now deeply rooted within the org, that’s the danger of the “tanking strategy”. Once apathy to losing sets in...

They have a deep pocket owner who hires dumb regimes

2 gems fell on their lap , that's it in a decade .

Look at their draft since 2009 ...... atrocious minus 2 players a blind squirrel would draft

Okposo, , Skinner, etc... signings ......atrocious

Nothing to show for ROR trade .....atrocious

Losing cultures keep losing when you keep making mistakes

If it was easy then Petry wouldn't have much value.

We all agree that if we can get a Max-like return then we should do it. But what if we can't? What if the best we can get is a late 1st and a B prospect? Is it still worth it? I don't need to remind you what our late 1st looked like it the past.

The issue is that we have no replacement for Petry anywhere in the system. All our D prospects are on the left side. We also have no replacement for Weber.
Tatar should be easier to replace but then again does it make sense to trade our best offensive forward on a team desperate for offensive talent?

Maybe if we can trade let's say Domi for a young RHD, it might make it easier to offload Petry.

We all agree that if we can get a Max-like return then we should do it. But what if we can't? What if the best we can get is a late 1st and a B prospect? Is it still worth it? I don't need to remind you what our late 1st looked like it the past.

The issue is that we have no replacement for Petry anywhere in the system. All our D prospects are on the left side. We also have no replacement for Weber.
Tatar should be easier to replace but then again does it make sense to trade our best offensive forward on a team desperate for offensive talent?

Maybe if we can trade let's say Domi for a young RHD, it might make it easier to offload Petry.

Petry will net you a decent top 4 to insert now and a very good prospect IMO and or a first rounder in some combo

Yes I still pull the trigger any day of the week

If Tatar is your best forward or is an important piece to any team , your doomed , regardless how desperate we are for talent

Its like trying to compete in an F1 race with better tires than everyone else and no engine to push it through

Next season Petry is 33 , Weber 35 and Chariot is 30 .......that's a bad combo on a bubble team

The rest of our D stinks but the big 3 are getting older and it may take Romanov 3 years before he is up to legit

If we kept Chevy and now is a legit top 4 it makes the trade more palatable but time is not on side GW

The lets drag it a few more year years of trying and failing to compete is not an option , its failed into 3 straight missed
playoffs .

If we retooled on the fly years ago we might be having more Suzuki`s , maybe another top 5 pick that could of been in our lineup by now .

If we had that base of solid developed 21-24 year olds handing onto Petry made sense .

All we are doing is kicking the can down the road to nowhere .

with tatar and petry there is no rush to trade them

you look now and if you get what you want you do it
otherwise you look in the summer

worst case scenario should be you dont like the contract demands so you trade them as rentals next year

cannot let them go for nothing or sign them to long term deals

with tatar and petry there is no rush to trade them

you look now and if you get what you want you do it
otherwise you look in the summer

worst case scenario should be you dont like the contract demands so you trade them as rentals next year

cannot let them go for nothing or sign them to long term deals

Completely agree

Petry will net you a decent top 4 to insert now and a very good prospect IMO and or a first rounder in some combo

Yes I still pull the trigger any day of the week

If Tatar is your best forward or is an important piece to any team , your doomed , regardless how desperate we are for talent

Its like trying to compete in an F1 race with better tires than everyone else and no engine to push it through

Next season Petry is 33 , Weber 35 and Chariot is 30 .......that's a bad combo on a bubble team

The rest of our D stinks but the big 3 are getting older and it may take Romanov 3 years before he is up to legit

If we kept Chevy and now is a legit top 4 it makes the trade more palatable but time is not on side GW

The lets drag it a few more year years of trying and failing to compete is not an option , its failed into 3 straight missed
playoffs .

If we retooled on the fly years ago we might be having more Suzuki`s , maybe another top 5 pick that could of been in our lineup by now .

If we had that base of solid developed 21-24 year olds handing onto Petry made sense .

All we are doing is kicking the can down the road to nowhere .

That's a no brainer but why would a team give us a young top 4 and a good prospect for an older top 4?

Tatar is top 25 in the league in scoring right now. I fail to see why having him in your top 6 is a bad thing.

That's a no brainer but why would a team give us a young top 4 and a good prospect for an older top 4?

Tatar is top 25 in the league in scoring right now. I fail to see why having him in your top 6 is a bad thing.

Why would a team unload a forward who is as good as what I gave up and hand me a stud A level prospect ?

Yes the forward was out of favour ......but now its a home run deal

My D is a legit damn good player we should get a heck of a deal ......right at peak value

So we keep them both and in 3 years when we are still bubbling away to 9th , we can revisit what could of been

If we had Toronto`s base we keep them both to work with elite talent

Unfortunately we have no elite talent anywhere on our roster

If and its a big if our youth develop what do they have to play with ?

These are tough decisions that need to be made , if we were 5 years younger .......you keep them

The day is coming when the race to the bottom isn't far off and we will be in worse shape than now

2 solid trades netting any combo of 2 firsts , plug and play vets , or solid prospects are no brainer for me

Toss in 1 or 2 more solid drafts in the lottery maybe we are better off one day

Why? Because German apparently resides on Fantasy Island, that’s why.

Because the team trading with us is stupid. That’s how we got Petry in the first place.

We’re not getting a top 4 D man for Petry. That’s why the other team makes the trade in the first place, to materially improve their D.

Blue chip prospect(s), picks and maybe a depth veteran... sure that’s the trade. The Habs got super lucky with Tatar.

We also got super lucky with Danault and Domi.
Time to roll da dice again!

We’re not getting a top 4 D man for Petry. That’s why the other team makes the trade in the first place, to materially improve their D.

Blue chip prospect(s), picks and maybe a depth veteran... sure that’s the trade. The Habs got super lucky with Tatar.
I am starting to wonder about Isles though. Pretty thin D given what Trotz is traditionally used to. Another years before Boychuk & Leddy are UFA. Not sure if Uncle Lou consider coughing up Dobson + Wahlstrom? Neither are givens by any means but Dobson is NHL ready playing 15 TOI and Wahlstrom is getting close to NHL ready in Bridgeport. Isles are going to be in a dogfight to make playoffs and lack offense especially from backend

Lots of talking heads now saying this deadline will be a snore fest with teams unwilling to surrender any 1st or 2nd rounders for upcoming draft.

Last edited:
Back