• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Game #56, VS Edmonton, Wednesday, May 12th 5:00EST

xposbrad

Maybe the problem is actually KK

Have to package KK and a pick and try to trade for another player with more upside. He's not a goal scorer. Maybe some other team will like his age and draft position and take a gamble.

Sal_Butera

Never liked the pick. Huge overreach at 3 to fill a need. Came out of nowhere at the end of his draft year like AK 46 . . . Guys who come out of nowhere I don’t really trust.
Funny you use that comparison, the one thought that immediately came to my mind when the pick was announced, was how KKs rise was based off the U18 tourney which happened just pre-draft & how that same tourney was the reason for the #10 overall pick of the 2003 draft. I believe I even posted that concern on that draft thread after the pick was made..

With both selections, the player drafted had no track record of offensive overachievement at any level except that one U18 tourney

Krustchev

Funny you use that comparison, the one thought that immediately came to my mind when the pick was announced, was how KKs rise was based off the U18 tourney which happened just pre-draft & how that same tourney was the reason for the #10 overall pick of the 2003 draft. I believe I even posted that concern on that draft thread after the pick was made..

With both selections, the player drafted had no track record of offensive overachievement at any level except that one U18 tourney
I think MB was so desperate for a top line center that he convinced himself based off one on great showing that KK was that guy.

Rolex

Canadiens Moderator
I think MB was so desperate for a top line center that he convinced himself based off one on great showing that KK was that guy.

Only time will tell if KK can become that dominant 4th line center that we drafted him to be....

Sal_Butera

It's funny (or sad) how so many are writing off a 20 year old center... Who is playing in the NHL.
I’m not writing KK off, but am unsure what the finished product will look like?

30-40pts Eller? 50-pts Horvat? Bigger bodied / physical 60-pts Plekanec? Or will this be a repeat of a Couturier situation - who didn’t develop into the current offensive player till season 7?

It’s also not lost on me there were those calling MacKinnon a 1st overall bust in years 2-4...

Rolex

Canadiens Moderator
I’m not writing KK off, but am unsure what the finished product will look like?

30-40pts Eller? 50-pts Horvat? Bigger bodied / physical 60-pts Plekanec? Or will this be a repeat of a Couturier situation - who didn’t develop into the current offensive player till season 6?

It’s also not lost on me there were those calling MacKinnon a bust in years 2-4...

MacKinnon has speed to burn.....Couturier although not a fast skater, is still more fluid and faster than KK.

For KK to be that franchise center (that management clearly drafted him to be), he needs to be a faster skater....until that happens (if ever), he will not become that franchise center, not now, not in year 6....not in this new NHL

He's 20....he can still improve on his speed (i hope)

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
It's not his fault they rushed him.....this is not a knock on him, more of a comment directed at management
My point was that he's a 20 center playing in the NHL. He certainly hasn't lit the world on fire, but he's learning the defensive game and contributing a bit of offense.

There's nothing about his trajectory to this point that says he can't become a very good player yet.

GEEMAN

MacKinnon has speed to burn.....Couturier although not a fast skater, is still more fluid and faster than KK.

For KK to be that franchise center (that management clearly drafted him to be), he needs to be a faster skater....until that happens (if ever), he will not become that franchise center, not now, not in year 6....not in this new NHL

Problem is the franchise center label …..he will never be one

He was projected as a 2 way 200 foot C in the Kopitar lite mode

As for skating …... Tavares, Gerzlaf , Thornton , Kopitar, Backstrom are not great skaters but brought IQ or other tangibles to the table

Problem is KK is yo-yoing from line to line and getting the Kulak treatment when things go wrong

He has to improve his skating and core strength this summer , his skating right now is much better than when he entered the league .

Regime has to trust him and give him legit wingers...... not shuffling Armia , Byron , Lek and others

I think he will be fine as 2C , I would put Gally on his line next line year and make a pitch for Hall

Krustchev

It's not his fault they rushed him.....this is not a knock on him, more of a comment directed at management
It’s not his fault they drafted him third overall . . . but yes, the problem here is the people doing the drafting, not KK. He is what he is.

Krustchev

Had to look because that's who I wanted after watching him in junior but haven't really paid attention.

19 points in 49 games this season.
I would have taken Quinn Hughes but my second choice was Brady K. Players who come out of nowhere frequently end up back there (not always, obviously).

GrandWazoo

His speed has improved every year, and so has his overall body strength. Balance is a bigger issue for me than his skating, he's constantly falling, once he maintains balance and strength to win puck battles, things will be much different.

He's overthinking everything right now and has no confidence, he needs to loosen up, which is easier said than done.