• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

General Penguins Game Thread, 2021-2022

Ed H in Pasadena

Quite the win tonight. Without Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel, the Pens STILL won 6-2. Three empty net goals in last 5:42 (while they scored twice), but overall a good performance. Glad to see the new guys Danton Heinen and Brian Boyle score, and the first in over a year-and-a- half for ZAR!

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
The wife is a Penguins fan, we watched this game. The Pens looked awesome. They completely dominated. Of course it's only one game, but definitely didn't expect them to look so good sans Crosby, Malkin and Guentzel.

Ed H in Pasadena

Preview of tonight's game vs. the Florida Panthers. Panthers will be a strong contender this year, but it's opening night for them. As mentioned below, I hope they're as sluggish in their opener as the Lightning were.

Who: Pittsburgh Penguins (1-0-0, 2 points) @ Florida Panthers (0-0-0, 0 points)

When: 7:00 p.m. eastern

How to Watch: AT&T Sportsnet locally in Pittsburgh, Bally Sports Florida is the away TV, Sportsnet360 in Canada...And my ESPN+ app shows if you have ESPN+ (link here if you want to subscribe through your pals at Pensburgh) you will be able to watch either broadcast feed, provided you are not in the Pittsburgh/Miami local TV markets.

Opponent Track: It’s opening night for the Panthers, let’s hope their legs will be as sleepy as their fellow Floridian team was on Tuesday, eh?

Ed H in Pasadena

Huh! Looks like Jake Guentzel is back in the lineup. Thought he was going to miss this game as well due to Covid protocols. And Casey DeSmith is starting in goal.

Ed H in Pasadena

Saw the first, listened to the second (dog walk), missed the third, and watched OT. After an awful first and somewhat listless start to second the Pens picked it up after that. But they couldn't convert their OT breakaway, while Florida buried their odd man rush to get the second point.
However, if someone had asked me before Tuesday, "would you be happy with 3 points in two games in Florida?", I'd have said "of course I would". That's what we got.

Ed H in Pasadena

Thought Casey was great otherwise, but I wasn't entirely surprised that Bob was able to stop Rodrigues, while Casey couldn't get to Verhaeghe's shot. Still, what a wild, up-and-down game. I'm happy the PK has performed well thus far, and the PP did get 20 shots and 2 PP goals (in 9 attempts).

Ed H in Pasadena

Game preview for game vs Chicago Blackhawks

Penguins to host Blackhawks on Saturday

Ed H in Pasadena

Game story

Penguins score 4 in 1st, beat Blackhawks 5-2 in home opener

Ed H in Pasadena

An offensive outburst hardly seemed likely when the Penguins opened the season.

Star centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were still recovering from offseason surgeries. Jake Guentzel sat out the first game as he completed his COVID isolation period. And by the end of Game 2, Bryan Rust would be sidelined with a lower-body injury.

Yet, thanks to the significant contributions from the bottom-six and depth players stepping into more prominent roles, the Penguins – somehow – were the NHL’s highest-scoring team through the first three games with 15 goals.
Penguins fall to Stars, 2-1 in a shootout

Ed H in Pasadena

Missed the game for a variety of reasons. Hoping to catch the next one, but it's not until Saturday's game vs. Toronto. And Auston Matthews is back? Yikes!

Ed H in Pasadena

What the heck happened tonight? No Carter or Letang, but they scored SEVEN vs the Leafs?

O'Connor, Pettersson help Penguins rout Maple Leafs 7-1

Ed H in Pasadena

Game preview from Pittsburgh Hockey Now. No Letang, Carter nor Rust. In addition to the longer absences of Crosby and Malkin. Hoping Jarry can continue his impressive regular season run and the Pens grinders grind out another win against the champs.