• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Acquire Joel Edmundson

I agree that more than 2 seasons is asking for trouble but something a certain bottom player is in high demand and offering term makes the difference between your team signing him, or another team. Now I don't think Edmundson is that type of player.

But for what it's worth, my Blues fan friend likes him, solid defensively.
Edmundson has been very good on the PK for a while...the Habs PK has sucked for a while. Ray Ferraro was mentioning yesterday teams studied the STL Cup run and the value of having Dman who are long & lean with reach, solid mobility and how they can quickly get back into the play & break it up because they cover lots of ground.

(At 14:40 min mark):

Romanov , Juulsen, Fleury ……..are ready to play

Too many D , SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE
Romanov will play, Juulsen needs playing time in AHL to find out if he’s done with headaches - I fear the org will lose him as he’s waiver eligible. Fleury either gets dealt as part of a package for offense or plays in AHL

Romanov will play, Juulsen needs playing time in AHL to find out if he’s done with headaches - I fear the org will lose him as he’s waiver eligible. Fleury either gets dealt as part of a package for offense or plays in AHL

I still think Joel is insurance for either Petry or Chariot

There is some substance that comes out of this interview. Nothing earth-shattering but things that are reassuring, if true.

As expected -- Suzuki, KK and Price being untouchables. Romanov is also an untouchable. The untouchable label on Price was even extended to the expansion draft -- so there goes the idea about how Price could be moved to Seattle.

Also, when asked what was missing on the Habs, Bergevin said:

«J’aimerais amener un gars avec un gros gabarit, capable de produire offensivement. Ce serait l’idéal. Encore là, ce joueur est-il disponible? Les équipes ne s’en débarrassent pas.» «Je regarde ça au quotidien.»

TRANSLATION: "I'd like to add a big body who can generate offense. That would be ideal. Again, is that player available? Teams don't tend to get rid of this type of player. I'm looking at it daily." I don’t ever recall MB ever being that specific about a need/want - “big body who can generate offense”

Who knows what he has going now, maybe he was just lowering expectations so his next move could surprise. Or maybe not...

So we have so many dmen prospects/youth and we still go out and trade for a depth dmen, and now are looking to sign him for over 2 years term ?

That in a nutshell is why this team has never developed their youth properly...at some point you gotta throw the young guys into action so they learn. Your depth dmen should come from your farm, not UFA...
The lack of patience and lack of player development. Just brutal.

Romanov will make the team. I think they’ve given up on Kulak. Fleury too. Mete might be a goner too.

Chiarot-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Edmundson-Mete

The org clearly doesn’t view him as a 3rd pairing Dman and all this talk of term & $ is pure speculation - just as MB player movement is held very close to the vest and comes out of left field, I can’t recall a player contract that anyone predicted correctly.
I’m expecting 3y 10.5m.

So we have so many dmen prospects/youth and we still go out and trade for a depth dmen, and now are looking to sign him for over 2 years term ?

That in a nutshell is why this team has never developed their youth properly...at some point you gotta throw the young guys into action so they learn. Your depth dmen should come from your farm, not UFA...

Which dman coming up from the farm has been denied an opportunity?

The lack of patience and lack of player development. Just brutal.

Romanov will make the team. I think they’ve given up on Kulak. Fleury too. Mete might be a goner too.

Chiarot-Weber
Romanov-Petry
Edmundson-Mete

I don't think they've given up on any of them, but they are definitely expandable. One of Kulak or Mete will be traded IMO. Our right side is too thin to sacrifice Fleury.

Yeah Fleury will be in Laval for emergency callups I think. Personally I don't mind Kulak, he played well these playoffs. I think Mete needs to go if only because he is starting to remind me of Bouillon minus the strength. He can skate like the wind but everything else is missing IMO. I don't see what they see in the guy tbh.

This Alzner contract is the killer. My goodness is it ever bad. Molson must be pissed they wasted almost $25M on nothing. NTC to boot.

CURRENT CONTRACT
STANDARD CONTRACT

COMPARE THIS CONTRACT

LENGTH: 5 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
SIGNING TEAM: Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens
VALUE: $23,125,000
C.H.%
q.svg
: 6.17
SIGNING DATE: July 1, 2017

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2017-18M-NTC$4,625,000$4,625,000$0$2,000,000$4,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2018-19M-NTC$4,625,000$4,625,000$0$0$6,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2019-20M-NTC$4,625,000$4,625,000$0$0$4,625,000$4,625,000$4,625,000
2020-21M-NTC$4,625,000$4,625,000$0$1,500,000$1,500,000$3,000,000$3,000,000
2021-22M-NTC$4,625,000$4,625,000$0$0$3,500,000$3,500,000$3,500,000
TOTAL$23,125,000$23,125,000$0$3,500,000$19,625,000$23,125,000$23,125,000

A 22-year old RFA, Mete does have some upside. He’s one of the better puckmovers on the Canadiens roster and ranks high in the NHL for zone entries. Someone may find that appealing.
HB Analytics writes:
Only a handful of defenders in the game contributed more off the rush in 2019-20, per Corey Sznajder’s tracking; Mete is comparable with Sam Girard, Thomas Chabot, Erik Karlsson, and Shea Theodore, who shoulder the workload a ton for their respective teams in terms of driving play towards the o-zone.
In short, Mete can both exit the defensive zone and exit the offensive zone, with possession, better than almost anyone in the league. This has to have value to at least a couple of the other 31 teams.

Kulak is better than Mete.

My guess is that Edmundson is being brought because the current group of D isn’t good enough.

Mete and Oullet: nope
Romanov: likely so, but young
Fluery et al.: TBD

There are holes in the everyday line up. I think it’s as simple as that.

Kulak is better than Mete.

My guess is that Edmundson is being brought because the current group of D isn’t good enough.

Mete and Oullet: nope
Romanov: likely so, but young
Fluery et al.: TBD

There are holes in the everyday line up. I think it’s as simple as that.

Yup.

Edmundson_RS_Raw.png

At the same time, Edmundson’s raw metrics, including from his tenure with the St. Louis Blues, are not that bad. The (possibly) newest Canadiens player generally hovers around the 50% mark for shot attempts, shots, goals, expected goals, and scoring chances.

The problem is that 50% is subpar when the rest of his team is taken into consideration. In St. Louis, Edmundson came in roughly 2-5% below team averages, but in his sole year in Carolina, that number cratered to as much as 8%. Yes, Edmundson can point to his defensive responsibilities, but we also have to take into consideration that his primary defensive partners in the past two seasons were Colton Parayko, Alex Pietrangelo, Brett Pesce, and Jaccob Slavin.

Sure but Edmundson? His advanced stats are brutal. Just brutal.

Advanced stats aren't that important IMO

Plenty of players with great stats but woudnt want them on a beer league team

The main issue is fit , contract , and what does he bring to table to help the team

Back