• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: Regular Season 2019-2020

Danault is great if he's your #3.

The higher he gets on the depth chart, the shittier your team probably is. He was the #1 center on a team that finished 24th overall and that seems to be just about right.

I believe he'll start off as our #2, with Suzuki the #1 and KK the #3, which is fine with me. But I think there's a good chance that by the end of the year, assuming KK & Suzuki keep improving, Danault will be our #3.

While I firmly believe Danault's a better player, I don't think there's a world of difference between him & Lars Eller. Danault has better numbers than Eller, sure, but is it because he's really a better point producer or because of circumstances, he's gotten better opportunities with scoring wingers than Eller has? I think it's a mix of both, to be honest.

I am not interested in paying Danault $5M / season. $4.25M for 6 years, though? I can live with that.

The problem with signing Danault is, we're gonna have to go cheap in a lot of positions. We only have 6 forwards signed past this season (7 if Danault's back), with Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Armia, Tatar needing new contracts. Armia and Tatar are as good as gone, and while Lehkonen is an RFA, he could be gone too if his monetary demands are too high. Kotkaniemi's going to be back, for sure.

It always goes back to drafting. If we were even moderately decent in drafting, I wouldn't be so worried. We don't have a single prospect at any level that can replace Armia as a big body checker that can chip in goals from time to time, same with Lehkonen. Caufield might be able to replace Tatar, but I'm not sure he'll be able to right away. Poehling could possibly replace Danault if/when he leaves, but that's TBD. Ylonen is an unknown, I don't think he has much of a shot at making the team until 2021-2022 at the very earliest.

Too many unknowns for our forwards coming up.

I think you need Danault ideally for 3 years. you can't start your "window" to try to push for a cup with 2 rookie centers. I do agree that Danault gets to be your #2 until KK's game is consistent enough and then Danault slides to your #3 spot. Even suzuki, will he experience a let down year as we typically see on the 2nd season of some roorkies? Because of all this, you need to find a way to retain him. Let's not kid ourselves though, beside him, all of our other centers sucked at faceoff.

Danault will not sign for 3 years though. I think you'll need 4 to 5 years to get him. I do believe the magic number will be closer to $5M avg. We'll see.

We all know what's gonna happen , Julien will only trust Danault in key situations, and play him to death. That's why I am sure the Habs will acquire another vet centre.

I doubt he’ll be dealt if we’re in a playoff spot. Caufield can just replace him next year . . . even if he’s a RW and TT is a LW.

that was my point; he's the kind of guy we get (not trade) at the deadline.....but now he's here from day 1

that was my point; he's the kind of guy we get (not trade) at the deadline.....but now he's here from day 1
And you let him walk at end of the playoffs...voila $5M cap space and didn’t even need to surrender an asset for the deadline pickup

With all our moves and us being against the cap and in win now mode, we must be a vegas favorite to win the cup, no?

31 other teams out there man. Altair jumped ship to the Preds, Thunder to the bolts, if they make you that miserable just go root for another. Something tells me you’d still bitch about that new team too though when they don’t win. There’s nothing wrong with criticizing your team but when it becomes the only thing you do and ignore any positives or potential you just come off as agenda driven and people eventually tune it out. Just my 2 cents man, try being a little more balanced in your views.

31 other teams out there man. Altair jumped ship to the Preds, Thunder to the bolts, if they make you that miserable just go root for another. Something tells me you’d still bitch about that new team too though when they don’t win. There’s nothing wrong with criticizing your team but when it becomes the only thing you do and ignore any positives or potential you just come off as agenda driven and people eventually tune it out. Just my 2 cents man, try being a little more balanced in your views.

You've accepted mediocrity, just admit it. I won't, this franchise has too rich of a history. What has MB shown in 9 years, how many SC finals, and how many cups? The fact we still have a mediocre farm, mediocre team with a cap, and we're now what, almost a decade into it and we've just switched from the half ass rebuild to now winning? A positive would have been a complete rebuild, which I've been preaching for 10+ years. I've been right because this team has proven to be wrong every year. I'm not miserable, I'm just frustrated with how the team is run and how the fans have accepted it. My day will come, I just hope I am alive to see it!

You've accepted mediocrity, just admit it. I won't, this franchise has too rich of a history. What has MB shown in 9 years, how many SC finals, and how many cups? The fact we still have a mediocre farm, mediocre team with a cap, and we're now what, almost a decade into it and we've just switched from the half ass rebuild to now winning? A positive would have been a complete rebuild, which I've been preaching for 10+ years. I've been right because this team has proven to be wrong every year. I'm not miserable, I'm just frustrated with how the team is run and how the fans have accepted it. My day will come, I just hope I am alive to see it!

Nobody cares.

Back