• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: Regular Season 2019-2020

The closest comparable to the ‘92-‘93 Habs might be Bergevin’s off-season body of work in the last 6 weeks to Savard’s in the summer of ‘92 when the Senator went back to work after sleeping for three years, and traded for Cousin Vinny and Bellows in like a 7 day period. I was in a Germany when those two deals were made and I think I read about them in USA Today or the International Herald Tribune. Another era.

Last edited:
The closest comparable to the ‘92-‘93 Habs might be Bergevin’s off-season body of work in the last 6 weeks to Savard’s in the summer of ‘92 when the Senator went back to work after sleeping for three years, and traded for Cousin Vinny and Bellows in like a 7 day period.

or Gainey's summer of 09, whee he landed Gomez, Gionta, Cammi, Moen, Spacek and Gill

I referenced Savard’s only because Sal was comparing the current team with the ‘93 Cup winner.

Such a long time ago...... we were making fun of the Leafs back in 93, because they hadn't won the Cup in 26 years.

Such a long time ago...... we were making fun of the Leafs back in 93, because they hadn't won the Cup in 26 years.

I was so happy when the Kings, I mean Gretzky, eliminated them in the conference finals. Would have been a harder finals to win, I believe, due the Canadian media frenzy that would have occurred, and Burns was coaching the Buds. It was just a hockey series against the Kings.

We had one good line last year, we could never quite get another one going, especially after Drouin got injured. We have a nice enough mix of forwards now to develop a few more lines.

As much as people are already slotting Anderson with Suzuki, I can really see Toffoli being a good fit with him as well. Just as I can see Anderson making a good combo with KK.

Toffoli is too slow to be on Suzuki's wing. He'll likely be with KK. Anderson is much faster, it's not even close.

The closest comparable to the ‘92-‘93 Habs might be Bergevin’s off-season body of work in the last 6 weeks to Savard’s in the summer of ‘92 when the Senator went back to work after sleeping for three years, and traded for Cousin Vinny and Bellows in like a 7 day period. I was in a Germany when those two deals were made and I think I read about them in USA Today or the International Herald Tribune. Another era.

I learned about the Gretzky trade reading the IHT in Germany. A lot of startled people when I blurted out “holy shit!” at that terrace.

Reactions: CH1
Toffoli is too slow to be on Suzuki's wing. He'll likely be with KK. Anderson is much faster, it's not even close.

Too slow? Why is speed so important here? Suzuki isn't that fast either. What makes me think Toffoli would be a good fit is his hockey IQ, he reads the play well and love to do give and go and get open, plus he's a finisher. He'll be able to read what Suzuki is thinking. Anderson is mostly a threat off the rush. I like the size of Anderson with Suzuki more than his speed.

no chance this team resembles the Bruins unless Nick and KK turn into Bergeron and Krejci and Weber is one tier higher
Habs success is totally dependent on Suzuki & KK maintaining their playoff uptick to begin with.

BTW - Bergeron & Krejci had 57 and 62 points respectively...so it’s not really out of the realm of possibility for Suzuki & KK to meet those point totals. That Bruins team also had four 20G+ scorers: Lucic (30), Horton (26), Bergeron (22), Marchand (21) then a drop off to Ryder (14) and Recchi (13)....

Would definitely not categorize as “no chance”...

Habs success is totally dependent on Suzuki & KK maintaining their playoff uptick to begin with.

BTW - Bergeron & Krejci had 57 and 62 points respectively...so it’s not really out of the realm of possibility for Suzuki & KK to meet those point totals. That Bruins team also had four 20G+ scorers: Lucic (30), Horton (26), Bergeron (22), Marchand (21) then a drop off to Ryder (14) and Recchi (13)....

Would definitely not categorize as “no chance”...

Will be fun to watch what this new lineup delivers

Our best acquisition is Allen who should give us the backup goaltending our slugs failed miserably

Those 10+ points are huge in the standings

Will be fun to watch what this new lineup delivers

Our best acquisition is Allen who should give us the backup goaltending our slugs failed miserably

Those 10+ points are huge in the standings

Allen is not our “best” acquisition. He might play an important role in making the playoffs but acquiring a backup goalie can’t be your best acquisition.

Allen is not our “best” acquisition. He might play an important role in making the playoffs but acquiring a backup goalie can’t be your best acquisition.
While I do agree with you, it could be a pretty significant acquisition if it makes Price better due to less of a workload.

No other player can make a 10 point difference in our standings

I get that. But a backup goalie who might be here for just one season can’t be your “best” acquisition. If Josh Anderson becomes a perennial 25-30 goal scorer or if Toffoli scores 30 a season while he’s here, then a one year backup goalie whose primary purpose is to rest Price some more is not your best acquisition.

Back