• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2023-24 Season

I hope that they do not rush Caufield. I think tonight's win helps alleviate some panic. I am sure that if they had lost another close scoring game tonight, it would have been awfully tempting to bring Caufield up

The AHL option only seemed like a viable path for Mete & KK when they stagnated. They had no business being in the NHL at the age they did and now it's caught up with them.

I've never understood it. You draft players, hoping that they can become 10+ year investments, only to jeopardize it by giving them too much too early and then people wonder why there isn't much improvement in their game over time. Gee, I wonder. It's almost for the same reason kids don't go from eight grade directly into university.

Knowing this team's modus operandi, if there was a glaring hole at right wing, Caufield would have been in the NHL at the beginning of the year & not in the NCAA.

A top 4 D even at young age usually don't play that long on bottom pairing.
This is like playing a scorer prospect on 4th for quite some time.
Mete will never be a top 4.
We can blame Habs as much as we want but it is not by developing him better he would have became a next Petry. He wouldn't....
Most D his age are playing in the AHL. So that is sorta the point.

Knowing this team's modus operandi, if there was a glaring hole at right wing, Caufield would have been in the NHL at the beginning of the year & not in the NCAA.
Curious your thoughts on him playing to end this year?

Remember when maxpac said fuck off leave me in the minors?

The AHL option only seemed like a viable path for Mete & KK when they stagnated. They had no business being in the NHL at the age they did and now it's caught up with them.

I've never understood it. You draft players, hoping that they can become 10+ year investments, only to jeopardize it by giving them too much too early and then people wonder why there isn't much improvement in their game over time. Gee, I wonder. It's almost for the same reason kids don't go from eight grade directly into university.
Speak for yourself

I think it would have done wonders for Romanov to play at least a little in the AHL to start. Romanov wasn't a world beater or some super, can't-miss prospect.

But when your third & fourth options at LHD are Mete & Ouellet? Welp, come on up, Romy...

I don't disagree.

You even see 1st overall picks like Lafrenière and Hughes struggling after being rushed so you can imaging how lower quality prospects might struggle.

Curious your thoughts on him playing to end this year?

Remember when maxpac said **** off leave me in the minors?
I would leave him in the AHL all year, and probably to start the beginning of next season.

I want him to improve all aspects of his game, not just be a unidimentional goal scorer. They said he's improved his game since last year, great. Nothing stopping him from continuing to improve a little more.

He's going to be in Montreal by end of year for sure, but i think Montreal will wait as much as they feel possible before bringing him up, but it will be this year for sure.

I don't disagree.

You even see 1st overall picks like Lafrenière and Hughes struggling after being rushed so you can imaging how lower quality prospects might struggle.
Hughes went from the USHL directly to the NHL at 18. I've never seen someone in modern history do that. It's such a huge jump. Going from the OHL to the NHL at 18 is a huge jump, the gap between the USHL & the NHL might be twice as big. And then you look at Kaapo Kakko... and he looks terrible. Just awful. Looks like he has no idea what he should be doing.

The year of his draft, he was more than holding his own at the world championships against NHLers and while he got more icetime & opportunities than Hughes did, he looked better than he did.

I'm not sure that player exists anymore. And all that to have him in the lineup at 18. For fucking what?

I think Lafrenière got hampered more from not having a real camp and not having played a game in 9 months. Had it been a normal year, with a normal draft, I think his rookie season would have been a lot better. I expect big things from him next year.

He's going to be in Montreal by end of year for sure, but i think Montreal will wait as much as they feel possible before bringing him up, but it will be this year for sure.
In all likelihood, yeah. There's just a lot of people in front of him right now. Maybe he can play on the left, because I don't think Drouin is long for this team. Out of the big names on this team, I think he's the most likely to be gone after the season.

In all likelihood, yeah. There's just a lot of people in front of him right now. Maybe he can play on the left, because I don't think Drouin is long for this team. Out of the big names on this team, I think he's the most likely to be gone after the season.

I agree, he's just not enough a factor in games anymore. I almost feel bad for him as he's been trying to be a more complete player but his offensive flair is completely gone. Bad penalties and turnovers remains but no more dangles, snipes, soft passes or creative plays. Quite a bummer really.

Habs don't trust him. He'll get plenty of ice time in Ottawa and maybe a much needed confidence boost. Habs ruined him bit mayne the Sens can salvage what's left of him.

He stinks, he will play 10 years because he is cheap

Nothing more than a depth D , once Ottawa has their kids come up he will be gone

He might even be in Seattle this year

He does nothing but provide skating skills

I think you're giving them too much credit.

The Charlatan has demonstrated for close to a decade that prospect development means little to nothing for him. Lefebvre pissed away nearly a decade worth of prospects, so much so that the only prospects we drafted during his time that made the league were the ones that didn't pass through the AHL.

Galchenyuk was rushed, Mete was rushed, KK was rushed, Romanov is being rushed. Notice a trend? They're all players (centers or LHD) that are playing in the organization's weak spots.

We can’t draft , even when they leave us it’s not as if they develop elsewhere

Simply put bad picks

I don't disagree.

Romanov played with men at 17 , he was was prepared for the NHL

He just needed this year to get used to the pace of the league

JD is a goner in the offseason

Regime won’t piss off the media and fan base , they see the shitness in his game as well

I thought for Mantha was an option but Yzerman got quite the haul from a Washington

I'm not sure about Mete yet. I'm still impressed by the fact he made a jump to the NHL when junior aged originally. Maybe more due to incompetent decision making at the management level, but still something we have not seen very often in Montreal. ......I can't help but feel there is something there and giving him away for nothing (which may be all we could get) may be regrettable. Not sure what we should have done with him at this point.

I'm not sure about Mete yet. I'm still impressed by the fact he made a jump to the NHL when junior aged originally. Maybe more due to incompetent decision making at the management level, but still something we have not seen very often in Montreal. ......I can't help but feel there is something there and giving him away for nothing (which may be all we could get) may be regrettable. Not sure what we should have done with him at this point.

Romanov , Guehle , Harris , Struble …...his time was up with us at some point

I know the kid and family personally , hope he sticks in the league somewhere on the bottom pair

Back