• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2023-24 Season

The worst of “access-based” journalism. The brown nosing is gross.

That’s why analytics have an (imperfect) role. Cold, sober numbers are the “source” to allow for analysis without this touchy feely BS.

Last edited:
Without brown-nosing MB, I think you're giving Covid too much credit.
I don’t think Toffoli signs as UFA is there was competition in the marketplace.

On the other side of the coin, good on MB to recognize the situation and capitalize. TBay uses their low tax leverage to their advantage, no ones blaming them for doing so...

Got to use whatever leverage exists for the given team

I believe it when they say Bergevin is very respected amongst other GMs, because no other GM wants to be in his shoes. Having to constantly deal with language/political issues, on top of players not wanting to come here because of taxes, cold weather, and every other excuse you can find.

Bergy has won most of the trades he's made....imagine if on top of that he can get players like Panarin to come here, or top players to waive their no-trade clauses to come here. Being GM of Habs is a tough assignment....sure i won't cry, as he's made millions $$$ in the last 9 years.

His only issue, and it's a BIG one, is drafting and development. Molson can justifiably fire him just for that.

Without brown-nosing MB, I think you're giving Covid too much credit.

Cmon , our Christmas gift is 100% Covid

Last year 100% we miss the playoffs

This year we miss it 99.9% , we had the worst playoff record of the 16 teams

We were on pace for 87 points in the worst division , put us 82 in a normal year …...we are toast by January

100% Nero gets fired by now , we lucked out taking advantage to put a team on the ice to compete for next year

Using this year as a future analysis is nuts .

Last edited:
There's nowhere to go but down after this season....we cannot repeat the run we are doing these playoffs....Weber-Staal-Perry will only be worse next year...Price will need his annual injury as an excuse to rest him for the months leading up to the playoffs. Toffoli has had an insane offensive year, no way he repeats that. Gallagher it's downhill...lots of big contracts on the book....Weber, Gallagher, Price, Anderson

If i'm Bergevin, either I get a nice position higher in the organization, or i find another gig elsewhere (and he's getting hired elsewhere, everyone can see he's done with trades (which he can control, unlike the taxes, weather, language issues).

We're all going to turn on him again after Game 1 of next season....

The trick for me is what he does this off season, no matter what happens rest of the way. Playoffs are not guaranteed next year.

I mean using his abundance of picks to protect assets from Seattle (and dump contracts), and also using them to acquire exposed pieces from other teams is a no brainer. One way or other other he has to have noticeable gains at all positions like last off season.

I believe it when they say Bergevin is very respected amongst other GMs, because no other GM wants to be in his shoes. Having to constantly deal with language/political issues, on top of players not wanting to come here because of taxes, cold weather, and every other excuse you can find.

Bergy has won most of the trades he's made....imagine if on top of that he can get players like Panarin to come here, or top players to waive their no-trade clauses to come here. Being GM of Habs is a tough assignment....sure i won't cry, as he's made millions $$$ in the last 9 years.

His only issue, and it's a BIG one, is drafting and development. Molson can justifiably fire him just for that.

Success for any Habs GM is to hire the elite scouts , draft evaluators and player development staff

Team needs to pull a 2007 draft every 4-5 years combined with nailing some first rounders and hit on later picks

There is no excuse about language , weather , taxes, and media …….that's the challenge of this city

Regime needs to work and excel on what they can control

Banking on a quality free agent or a player to waive his NTC to make a difference is futile

Once players get acclimated they will stay in Montreal , we need to draft them first

Last edited:
There's nowhere to go but down after this season....we cannot repeat the run we are doing these playoffs....Weber-Staal-Perry will only be worse next year...Price will need his annual injury as an excuse to rest him for the months leading up to the playoffs. Toffoli has had an insane offensive year, no way he repeats that. Gallagher it's downhill...lots of big contracts on the book....Weber, Gallagher, Price, Anderson

If i'm Bergevin, either I get a nice position higher in the organization, or i find another gig elsewhere (and he's getting hired elsewhere, everyone can see he's done with trades (which he can control, unlike the taxes, weather, language issues).

We're all going to turn on him again after Game 1 of next season....

All going south next year in a normal year

Back