• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Mental health issues are no joke.

I wish him well. It’s not his fault Bergevin made the most unpopular trade of his tenure involving Drouin.

I'm not joking at all...I just can't think of a precedent...and he wasn't playing all that badly. He was still creating chances (just not burying any) and ended his abbreviated season with the 2nd most assists among forwards.

Mental health issues are no joke.

I wish him well. It’s not his fault Bergevin made the most unpopular trade of his tenure involving Drouin.

Severe depression , one of my customers knows the family very well

Wont divulge much but he thinks he may not play again

I'm not joking at all...I just can't think of a precedent...and he wasn't playing all that badly. He was still creating chances (just not burying any) and ended his abbreviated season with the 2nd most assists among forwards.
If they miraculously win the cup his name won’t be on it.

I hope Drouin figures it out and can manage to do whatever he wants to do, whether it's hockey or just live out life.

He's 26 years old, in the prime of his life, and if he really is depressed, then he needs to take whatever amount of time to get himself right.

Yeah...the guy is barely an adult. His best days should be ahead of him.

But if I'm being honest, I'm surprised there hasn't been more players like that that just stopped in their mid-20s while in the prime of their careers. Especially these days.

These guys that have been entrenched in all things hockey sacrificed the best years of their life to try to make it to the NHL. Time that most of spent with friends and just fucking around, a lot of them missed out on a lot of it so that they could train, or travel to hockey tournaments, or some other shit.

So if Drouin had a press conference tomorrow and just said he was just fed up with hockey and wanted to enjoy his life without all of the restrictions and bullshit that came with the sport, I wouldn't be shocked at all. It's just surprising he's the only notable player I can think of that's done it. Stefan Legein had done it, but that didn't end up lasting long. I think he was just burned out and needed a real break.

But if I'm being honest, I'm surprised there hasn't been more players like that that just stopped in their mid-20s while in the prime of their careers. Especially these days.

These guys that have been entrenched in all things hockey sacrificed the best years of their life to try to make it to the NHL. Time that most of spent with friends and just fucking around, a lot of them missed out on a lot of it so that they could train, or travel to hockey tournaments, or some other shit.

So if Drouin had a press conference tomorrow and just said he was just fed up with hockey and wanted to enjoy his life without all of the restrictions and bullshit that came with the sport, I wouldn't be shocked at all. It's just surprising he's the only notable player I can think of that's done it. Stefan Legein had done it, but that didn't end up lasting long. I think he was just burned out and needed a real break.
It would be the hockey equivalent of the #metoo movement

That was my point. Very few athletes admit they don't like the game. Agassi is a notable exception but even he waited until he was 40. NFLers often quit early (late 20s/early 30s) but part of that is health related (they don't to hobble when they're 45)

That was my point. Very few athletes admit they don't like the game. Agassi is a notable exception but even he waited until he was 40. NFLers often quit early (late 20s/early 30s) but part of that is health related (they don't to hobble when they're 45)
Sure, but a lot of them have super persistent, alpha-type personalities. Those who don't very seldomly make it. It's why so many high level pro players have a tough time after their careers, they spent their formative years in the sport and then when they've been chewed & spit out by the sport, they're kind of lost. It's why so many of them go into coaching; It's the closest thing to playing, without actually playing.

But it's also hard to kick away generational money when you haven't made a ton yet. Drouin's made over $20M in career gains, he just might be set. It's a little harder for players (just for example) like Lehkonen who's made ~$7M or so.

Stephane Richer was another guy who struggled with depression. He said he couldn't divulge that at the time...but the landscape has changed. even away from sports, 30 years ago, talking about mental health would have some conjuring images of straight jackets and mental institutions

I hope Drouin figures it out and can manage to do whatever he wants to do, whether it's hockey or just live out life.

He's 26 years old, in the prime of his life, and if he really is depressed, then he needs to take whatever amount of time to get himself right.

Health is first , hope he recovers

As a therapist, I worked with a few former players who didn't make it. Players who were in Junior, may have done East coast may have played some Europe or may The transition from having everything programmed, and knowing where you're going and what you're doing to being in a goalless life with no structure can be debilitating for ex players.

I might come off as crazy at times. Strike that. I do come off as crazy as times. I experience everything is a choice, and feel free to negotiate my relationship with pretty much every social norm.

I worked with people like Jonathan and similar situations to his before. I have a huge amount of compassion for him.

I hope he's getting good help. I think most therapists aren't crazy enough to do good work. I'd love to have a chance to sit with him. If anyone knows him send him my way.

Back