• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

that was my initial stated hypothesis -- money with a side order of changing values

culture is very much a monkey see -- monkey do dynamic....and the collective urge to send kids to hockey camps is yuge in my extended circle

More like lemmings. The probability this amounts anything tangible is adjacent to zero.

I suppose this is buying a social network for the kid, especially given the overwhelming presence of hockey in the culture.

More like lemmings. The probability this amounts anything tangible is adjacent to zero.

I suppose this is buying a social network for the kid, especially given the overwhelming presence of hockey in the culture.
Correct. Like I said, we probably spend about $15k a year on my son’s AAA-Tier 1 hockey, and it’s not even his best sport. Quebec has not fully embraced AAA hockey for younger kids like the rest of North America, and I commend Quebec for that.

The people I know are smart and realize the payout is almost zero -- but they can't resist the dopamine ride, the social aspect, the travel adventures, not to mention spoiling their kids via the sport they love.

That’s totally cool. In our brush with competitive sports, it was clear the whole vibe/experience was the main part of it. Turned out my kid hated it even if she was able to hold her own on the pitch, so we were let off the hook.

There are a lot of good options for building a kid’s social network that are not as costly. But there is always a cost.

And there are crazier sports than hockey. I submit: sailing and equestrian. Oy.

Last edited:
Just to complete the thought, it’s not so much $$$ that bothers but the time commitment. And it is a substantial commitment. You really have to want to be there.

Just to complete the thought, it’s not so much $$$ that bothers but the time commitment. And it is a substantial commitment. You really have to want to be there.
In the last two months I’ve been to Pittsburgh, Chicago, Connecticut and Boston. And I have friends who also went to Utah. Insanity.

for sure...I marvel at (and pity) these parents who seemingly spend almost every disposable minute either at hockey outings or planning for the next outing.

That’s totally cool. In our brush with competitive sports, it was clear the whole vibe/experience was the main part of it. Turned out my kid hated it even if she was able to hold her own on the pitch, so we were let off the hook.

There are a lot of good options for building a kid’s social network that are not as costly. But there is always a cost.

And there are crazier sports than hockey. I submit: sailing and equestrian. Oy.
Equestrian is big down here. Stupidly expensive.

Its hilarious also how parents think their kid is NEXT ONE

I have a buddy who dropped about 35k on power skating for years and other camps and his son couldn`t chew up and skate in a straight line
Zamboni driver waiting for his big break.

Back