• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

And they were mediocre in 86 with a ton of rookies that worked out. Including Roy.

I remember the season well.
So, what you're saying is, a team that wasn't expecting to do much, had a bunch of rookies that played well enough to contribute, had 4 other future HHoFers on it, had 3 players on it that finished in the top-30 in scoring, wasn't mediocre?

Sounds like a decent team to me. But shrug.

You are tacitly when the conversion revolves around Price's worthiness for number retirement.

So, what you're saying is, a team that wasn't expecting to do much, had a bunch of rookies that played well enough to contribute, had 4 other future HHoFers on it, had 3 players on it that finished in the top-30 in scoring, wasn't mediocre?

Sounds like a decent team to me. But shrug.
20/20 hindsight is a hell of a strawman

In 1986 the Habs finished 4 in the Division and had zero expectations of a cup. They were not contenders but you rewrite history as you like. I was actually there for it.

20/20 hindsight is a hell of a strawman

In 1986 the Habs finished 4 in the Division and had zero expectations of a cup. They were not contenders but you rewrite history as you like. I was actually there for it.

that 86 team wasn't superstar laden but it was pretty good
one of the reasons Habs finished 4th in the Division was that Roy sucked in the regular season (.875% vs .923% in the playoffs)

Hey all, if anyone is interested we need a manager for a fantasy football keeper league. If you're into football and are interested let me know.

one of the reasons Habs finished 4th in the Division was that Roy sucked in the regular season (.875% vs .923% in the playoffs)
There was zero expectation of them getting out of the first round. The point is Roy's wins in Montreal were unexpected while his wins in Colorado were expected.

Price never achieved that once and the Habs did have some high finishes during his tenure.

Yes and many fans wanted to run him out of town..

There was zero expectation of them getting out of the first round. The point is Roy's wins in Montreal were unexpected while his wins in Colorado were expected.

Price never achieved that once and the Habs did have some high finishes during his tenure.
The habs were not suppose to get by the Leafs just not too long ago.. we were not suppose to get by the Bruins and he shut them out in game 7 in 2013-14.. Rangers took him out in next series

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
The only year nothing was excepted of Roy was the 86 win.. 87 upset by flyers,.. 88 upset by the Bruins.. 89 lost in the finals.. etc etc.. not sure why Roy was not excepted to win.. he had very good teams as a Hab

The only year nothing was excepted of Roy was the 86 win.. 87 upset by flyers,.. 88 upset by the Bruins.. 89 lost in the finals.. etc etc.. not sure why Roy was not excepted to win.. he had very good teams as a Hab
87 wasn't an upset, Philly had the second best record in the league. 1988 was, but wasn't that the Thelven on Richer incident as well. I think the Habs scored 10 goals total in that series.

The problem with the cup argument is that it's a 32 team salary capped league. The odds are stacked against any team to win. Being able to sustain a high level of success over a long period is nearly impossible. Most players aren't going to win a lot of cups if any. Montreal is also at a clear disadvantage being in Canada and having a fan base that can consume players. Taking this fact and assuming close parity, this leaves less that 3.125% odds of the Habs winning the cup any year.

Realistically, this team or any team only going to win a tiny fraction of the cups Montreal did back then. It's therefore not a satisfactory metric to judge number retirement from.

It also doesn't seem right when the best player of 30 years doesn't deserve the teams highest honour because of the accomplishments of players playing 40-60+ years ago under much different circumstances. Nostalgia is great for you old farts but common sense says he should be up there.

He was dominate during his peak and carried this team well above their means for more than a decade. He's been our best and only elite player since Roy.

The Cup is a major criteria but isn't the only one. His accomplishments with the Habs just ain't that impressive. One Vezina, one Hart and one all-star team, all the same year. That's it. Just because he was the best player on the team during a poor period for the team doesn't qualify. I wouldn't retire Koivu's jersey either.

You are tacitly when the conversion revolves around Price's worthiness for number retirement.
...?

I don't think he has any business having his number retired at any point. In fact, I don't think half the people who had their numbers retired deserve it.

I'm much more of a believer in having the numbers retired for peak, historical figures that mean more to the organization than just hockey. People who had an impact both athletically and socially.

I am, however, a big believer in a sort of Ring of Honor type of tier. Something where you can honor every captain in the history of the team, every award winner, make a resumé of the really noticeable players here. For example, you can't tell the story of the Montreal Canadiens without Saku Koivu or Carey Price, but neither one of them deserves to have their numbers retired.
(See above)

I agree. It's others that are sentimental.

I won't diminish what Price did but I also won't diminish what if takes for a retired number in my mind and yes, I also agree there's a few numbers up there that shouldn't be.

he was our best goalie in regular season too Penney amd Sotaert

I agree. It's others that are sentimental.

I won't diminish what Price did but I also won't diminish what if takes for a retired number in my mind and yes, I also agree there's a few numbers up there that shouldn't be.
It may be sentiment but that's going both ways.

Voiding a player recognition because of the accomplishments of players in completely different eras isn't right.

Back