• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Anyone who reads this board knows my opinion on the subject.

I find the whole notion of keeping 18 year olds in the NHL so that they "can learn" is some of the dumbest, short-sighted reasoning conceivable.

Why only the lottery picks? Why not all first rounders? What stops the other first rounders from sticking around in the NHL, playing like shit, not developing their skills and not getting ice time against their peers?

It's so dumb.

It has a lot to do with players being bigger contracts earlier than before. Teams trying to milk them.

I find the whole notion of keeping 18 year olds in the NHL so that they "can learn" is some of the dumbest, short-sighted reasoning conceivable.

Why only the lottery picks? Why not all first rounders? What stops the other first rounders from sticking around in the NHL, playing like shit, not developing their skills and not getting ice time against their peers?

It's so dumb.
Clearly Jack Hughes was ruined by it. One size does not fit all . . . in anything . . . and never has . . . or will.

There are exceptions sure and usually 1OA is that exception but mostly they shouldn't be in the league that young.

It's so dumb.
Agreed for the most part but some players are bad picks regardless of age

Cole Sillinger had a fine rookie season but struggling this year but I dont blame it on the age factor

Same as KK , he just isnt any good even if he came in at 20

giving the top 3 picks from 2021 --- Owen Power, Matty Beniers, Mason McTavish -- a year to develop seemed to have worked well

Slaf seems like that calibre of prospect, as opposed to unicorns like McJesus, Matthews, Bedard, etc

giving the top 3 picks from 2021 --- Owen Power, Matty Beniers, Mason McTavish -- a year to develop seemed to have worked well

Slaf seems like that calibre of prospect, as opposed to unicorns like McJesus, Matthews, Bedard, etc
Slaf can’t be sent to junior or the NCAA.

Clearly Jack Hughes was ruined by it. One size does not fit all . . . in anything . . . and never has . . . or will.
And you're being disingenuous as usual because that's never been my point.

The point isn't that rushing players in the NHL before they're ready will or won't ruin them. Some, like Jack Hughes, will make it regardless even if they looked beyond terrible at 18. But then you have some who do come into the NHL and never pan out because their skills never develop such as Kotkaniemi.

The point has always been: An organization chooses a player, especially those in the lottery, in hopes that they become a 10+ year investment, so why would they jeopardize that player's potential simply so that he can play in the NHL at 18?

And since we're on the topic, why not bring every single first round pick into the roster at 18 and just let them figure it out then? Why limit it to lottery picks? Just use it as a publicity stunt: Most recent first round pick playing every other game, who cares if he sucks? Buy your tickets here! (Maybe word it in a more PC-friendly manner).

Slafkovsky was the first overall pick in the weakest draft in years. I don't even think he'd be a top-5 pick this year. If we had picked Slaf at 5-6th overall, there'd be almost no chance that he'd be in the NHL right now.

There are tons of examples of players who were forced into the NHL at 18, clearly weren't ready for it and stagnated. There's no player in the history of hockey that saw his career go to shit because he spent a little too much time in junior or the minors.

It is a risk that, for the majority of players, I am not willing to take. Personal philosophy: If a player is in the NHL at 18, he needs to be absolutely gifted or one of the smartest players in the world even at 18, see Bergeron or O'Reilly. Anything short of that, I pass.

By the way, you know how I know Slafkovsky wasn't ready to play in the NHL this year?

He was hit in the open ice during a rookie tournament. A rookie tournament. Those tournaments filled with junior players and fringe AHLers hoping to get a try out at the team's main camp. Where the speed of play is at a snail's pace compared to the NHL.

Should have started in Laval and should have stayed there all year.

You sure like dunking on a guy that's played with players with the collective IQ of duct tape.

He's a player that needs to be playing with other good players. You can shelter his zone starts but he needs to play with talent. Period.

They're not putting him with talented players because he's not good enough right now.

It's a chicken or the egg situation. Needs to play with better players, but he's not able to play with them as it is.

Slafkovsky hasn't been getting progressively better this season, he's stagnated. Send him to Laval and let him play.

The only reason Slaf is playing in Montreal is that he's built like a grown man, so he can take a hit and the Habs are smallish up front.

I still think if he was 5'10" , he would be in Europe or the AHL right now.
Sure his size plays a part but they're also looking at using as many distractions from just how bad the teams is for the layman fan. Still have to sell tickets.

Back