• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Look at the bright side, condition stint in Laval might do him wonders next year. Or April.

It probably has nothing to do with the particular injury he suffered, but one always worries about teenagers getting hurt playing with men. Seems to happen a lot.

This was one concern I had with him staying up. Of course,I suppose it could have happened at the World Juniors, Laval, etc. Quite likely at Laval actually, considering the bozos who would have been taking runs at him.

Last edited:
I guess in hindsight, we can now officially say we made the wrong choice keeping him up here. He had his moments but overall he was outmatched and too inexperienced to have been left in the NHL. Just like Wright, he should have been sent down. I still don't know why we didn't let him go to the Juniors, would have done him some good to boost his confidence.

I guess in hindsight, we can now officially say we made the wrong choice keeping him up here. He had his moments but overall he was outmatched and too inexperienced to have been left in the NHL. Just like Wright, he should have been sent down. I still don't know why we didn't let him go to the Juniors, would have done him some good to boost his confidence.
As Hughes stated today, there are many facets to development including getting “a player acclimated to NA game and expecting returns of the development in 3-5 years”

Hughes purposely compared Slaf’s development in NHL vs Barron’s @ AHL - when responding to “there’s been lots of chatter about sending Slaf down to Laval” question by Engels.

Hughes seemed perfectly fine with Slaf’s development this season - minus the present injury obviously

As Hughes stated today, there are many facets to development including getting “a player acclimated to NA game and expecting returns of the development in 3-5 years”

Hughes purposely compared Slaf’s development in NHL vs Barron’s @ AHL - when responding to “there’s been lots of chatter about sending Slaf down to Laval” question by Engels.

Hughes seemed perfectly fine with Slaf’s development this season - minus the present injury obviously
I meant the world juniors. Did he say anything about that?

I love how Hughes discusses tanking without discussing tanking

“This season, at some point, I mentioned to Martin that we’ve reached a stage where wins are good, but up to a certain point, And losses are not good, but up to a certain point.”

I love how Hughes discusses tanking without discussing tanking

“This season, at some point, I mentioned to Martin that we’ve reached a stage where wins are good, but up to a certain point, And losses are not good, but up to a certain point.”
Hughes might want to emphasize those points to Marty again, and soon.

Confidence shmonfidence. If I were in Slaf's skates I'd much prefer to be learning my trade at the NHL level than in the minors or juniors. How could he or Wright gain confidence by dominating at a level where they were already dominating a year or two years ago? All Wright is learning right now is that he's a really superlative junior hockey player. It does absolutely zero in terms of his confidence level as an NHLer. You learn to be an NHL player by playing in the NHL. It's the same dumb argument that Leafs fans use to rationalize their annual playoff failures. You don't have to lose to learn how to win or whatever bullshit adage they use every spring. You learn to win by winning. All losing teaches you is how to be good at losing. If we want Slaf to be an NHL player we need to let him play NHL hockey and figure it out. Fortunately we aren't (or shouldn't be) concerned with winning games so he can learn on the job and make mistakes. I don't want him in the AHL getting run at by every Bergevin-esque, ham-n-egger NHL wannabe and coached on how to "grind da puck" by some Therrien wannabe doofus named Houle.

Back