• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Card Advice

Thunder

Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee Rookie Card sealed in a thick plexiglass.

My father just got this treasure out of one his chest and it looks amazing.

He asked me to find out how to get an evaluation.

I remember going into a thread last month where guys on FI were talking Gretzky’s rookie card value.

Habsy and CH1 looked like they really knew what’s the best way to proceed.

If I remember correctly, the beat would be the get the card rated by one of the top 3 evaluators in the world..?

Anybody care to pitch in on how I can get the best value into potentially selling this card for my father ?

Get it graded first to determine how close to a 10 it is

That set was terrible for production .

Even an 8 grade is worth good money. I have the entire set , my the key cards are not in great shape

eBay will give you $ guidelines once it’s graded

I have a few peeps in the industry that might help

Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee Rookie Card sealed in a thick plexiglass.

My father just got this treasure out of one his chest and it looks amazing.

He asked me to find out how to get an evaluation.

I remember going into a thread last month where guys on FI were talking Gretzky’s rookie card value.

Habsy and CH1 looked like they really knew what’s the best way to proceed.

If I remember correctly, the beat would be the get the card rated by one of the top 3 evaluators in the world..?

Anybody care to pitch in on how I can get the best value into potentially selling this card for my father ?
You're going to have to send the card in for grading. Use a reliable overnight service and buy insurance. It'll take months before you get it back so expect that.

Reactions: CH1
You're going to have to send the card in for grading. Use a reliable overnight service and buy insurance. It'll take months before you get it back so expect that.

My buddy uses a company north of Toronto , usually gets it in a week

That set was terrible for mint cards , the best I have ever seen was an 8.5 from a major card dealer in St Louis who had about 20 of them

Last show I went he had near mint Hab greats like Richard ,Belliveau , etc... rookie cards

Asking 100k for a good looking protective case with 5 cards

That's why you have to use a reputable service. Plus it affects the value. PSA or Beckett. I won't use anyone else. You'll get more money with a grading from one of those two.

This was a long time ago and some buddies used them so I want too nervous until it went months but I kept tabs on them by calling every few weeks.

That's why you have to use a reputable service. Plus it affects the value. PSA or Beckett. I won't use anyone else. You'll get more money with a grading from one of those two.

So not all 8.5 cards are equals depending on who grades them.

I definitively would like to use one of the top 2 reputable services. Any idea about the cost ?

Also my father was ready to mail it to one of those place but it does scare me to just mail an O-Pee-Chee Rookie Gretzky !

I’d just prefer to bring it there in person. Are both of them in the USA and is there a top place in Canada that would be comparable ?

So not all 8.5 cards are equals depending on who grades them.

I definitively would like to use one of the top 2 reputable services. Any idea about the cost ?

Also my father was ready to mail it to one of those place but it does scare me to just mail an O-Pee-Chee Rookie Gretzky !

I’d just prefer to bring it there in person. Are both of them in the USA and is there a top place in Canada that would be comparable ?

Where do you live ?

Currently in Shawinigan, I haven’t been living more than 3 months in one city in the last 3 years though.
In non Covid-Era I could get ready to go watch some junior hockey !

Rereading the thread I realize I overlooked Habsy’s comment on insurances for mailing it, that would make me safer.

Going back to a non Covid-Era, I’d be happy to drive down to NY or something to get this thing done.

You could try to find a local company but the better known ones are more recognizable and collectors tend to want to be sure of grade when spending that kind of money.

I suggest you call PSA or Beckett and ask them their current procedures. It's been a very long time since I got mine done. Things change.

About 35 years ago, I came across an older puck with the number 128 mechanically carved into the puck. On side of puck there is the words "Lindsay, official, Canada" all separated of course. No logo on the puck. I just now took interest in trying to figure out the pucks origin, maybe give it back to the family. Any suggestion on how to better identify a puck?

I'm at a loss on that one. Sounds like some research is needed on your part online.

Back