• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Dumont also got fired from The Athletic...maybe he's a pain in the ass?

You'd think being the embedded "journalist" on a pro team would be as secure as a media job gets.

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Dumont also got fired from The Athletic...maybe he's a pain in the ass?

You'd think being the embedded "journalist" on a pro team would be as secure as a media job gets.
Fluently bilingual and an awesome gig and fucked it up. I forgot he also got canned from the Athletic.

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
He also managed to piss on those news outlets that may have given him a shot otherwise.

lecoqsportif

It’s a useless tertiary award that should not have been challenged. Dumont got too comfortable thinking he wasn’t replaceable.

I know zilch about this guy, but a quick glance at the tweet history makes it seems that he was becoming the story. That must have irked Habs management - that’s likely not the “content creation” they were seeking.

Reactions: CH1

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
I know zilch about this guy, but a quick glance at the tweet history makes it seems that he was becoming the story. That must have irked Habs management - that’s likely not the “content creation” they were seeking.
It was all about the reporters and outlets saying he needs fired for talking to them like that.

They’re babies but Molson caters to them and in retrospect, who the heck is Dumont in Molson‘a bigger picture.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
if he's good, he'll find a way on substack

my favourite Viking scribe (Matthew Coller) lost his gig at ESPN during a media industry wide downsizing a few years ago....best thing that ever happened to him

I (and many others) pay for his substack. The guy produces 6-7 good articles a week.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

The Habs have already found Robertson's replacement:

Attachments

• MV5BODQwODAxNmMtZjQ0Yy00MzM5LWI2MzItMDQzNjMzY2I0OWU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BODQwODAxNmMtZjQ0Yy00MzM5LWI2MzItMDQzNjMzY2I0OWU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2

Krustchev

Good for him. He's excellent.
Is Dick Irvin ready for a comeback at age 90? “Canadiens slaking left to right on your radio dial . . .” The best, despite his nasal voice. If you grew up Anglo in Montreal in the 70’s and 80’s you had two of the best radio play-by-play guys in sports: DVH and DI.

Last edited:

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

Is Dick Irvin ready for a comeback at age 90? “Canadiens slaking left to right on your radio dial . . .” The best, despite his nasal voice. If you grew up Anglo in Montreal in the 70’s and 80’s you had two of the best radio play-by-play guys in sports: DVH and DI.
And the late Glenn Cole.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

I am forgetting the history. Did he get into altercation with Beauchamp or something?
No he was fired because he sexually harassed one of the hostesses at the Bell Centre and it wasn't over light flirting either. He was obsessed to the point where the woman had to lock herself in a room while Sisto was going off his rocker outside the door. It's a wonder he ever worked again anywhere and had it happened a decade later than it did he wouldn't have. He did also threaten Beauchamp, but that was after the fact. CJAD fired him after the Habs had a conversation with them and Sisto launched a wrongful dismissal suit that went nowhere.

Here's the text of an old Gazette article (the link to the article itself no longer seems to work)

Well-known sportscaster Dino Sisto lost his wrongful dismissal lawsuit against CJAD radio Friday. In a 37-page decision, arbitrator Gilles Brunet decided that CJAD had reason to fire Sisto in June of 2004.

CJAD radio left Dino Sisto on tenterhooks for weeks about whether he would keep his job as the "Voice of the Montreal Canadiens," his lawyer said, so it's no wonder the veteran sportscaster snapped and placed the phone call that ended his career.

Sisto was fired in June, 2004 for phoning Canadiens vice-president of communications Donald Beauchamp and threatening to disrupt a news conference and drag the hockey club's name through the mud. He also called the team owner's son a "fat ass and a liar."

Sisto's termination came just two months after he had been suspended over allegations that he intimidated a hostess at the Bell Centre and left a nasty message on her cellphone while she cowered in the Habs owner's locked loge.

But making his final pitch at a federal labour board hearing where Sisto is seeking to get his job back, lawyer Frederick Malamud said the phone call and the harassment allegations were just convenient excuses.

While Sisto was away on suspension and sick leave, CJAD began plotting to cut him out of the next year's budget, downsize the station's sports staff and replace him in the broadcast booth, Malamud said.

When Sisto returned to work, he repeatedly asked station manager Rob Braide whether he would keep on calling the plays. Malamud blamed Braide's refusal to give a clear answer for causing Sisto's frustration to mount and then boil over.

"For God's sake, the man just came off sick leave from a very traumatic incident and what do they do They let it linger, they won't give a straight answer and they let it build and build," the lawyer said. "They're the ones who acted in bad faith."

Malamud dismissed the testimony of loge hostess Julie Donahoo as "ridiculous." Donahoo described how Sisto harassed her for a year and a half - one minute begging her to be his friend, the next threatening to tell her husband about their affair, which she claims was only in his head.

Malamud challenged her accusations and insisted Sisto and Donahoo did have a romantic liaison.

"Does a person who is allegedly being harassed call her harasser in excess of 200 times, go on road trips where she knows he'll be, buy him birthday gifts and invite her alleged harasser's wife to go with them " Malamud asked. "It makes no sense. ... Her actions speak louder than her words."

He also excoriated CJAD's lawyer, James Woods, for saying Donahoo's testimony is uncontradicted fact simply because Sisto didn't take the stand.

The radio station and its parent company, Standard Broadcasting, unnecessarily sullied Sisto's reputation, Malamud added, by trying to prove harassment that wasn't even at the heart of why he was dismissed.

The onus is on the employer to prove it was justified in firing Sisto, and it has failed to do so, Malamud argued. In rebuttal, Woods accused Malamud of playing fast and loose with the facts. "It's simply pathetic to go, at this stage, on that type of innuendo," Woods said. "Mr. Sisto did not have the courage to testify."

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

So apparently Dan Robertson is leaving as the play-by-play man of the Montreal Canadiens to go to....wait for it....

Winnipeg.

Fucking Winnipeg. Es-tu malade, Daniel?

How bad does someone want out of Montreal when they'll accept a job in Winnipeg to do it?