• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Re: Thank God for RDS. TSN schedule once again loaded with Leafs games

I wonder if there will be a local TSN contract for us like there was last year?

I have no doubt he will end up staying with RDS but at what price is what interests me.

I wonder if there will be a local TSN contract for us like there was last year?
TSN is going to announce the Habs Regional schedule in the coming days, if that was what you were referring to? Doesn't help us much on the west coast though.

Not missing much with Dave Randorf calling the games.

I have a soft spot for Randorf, he interviewed me at a Canadiens' game back in 1992. he was asking all the Canadiens' fans why we still cheered for them even though we were out west. My answer was one of them picked and shown on CKVU Sportspage at night.

Not a fan but I thought Mike Johnson got better as the year went on any time I watched the anglos...

Yeah agreed, I thought Johnson got better too.

I have a soft spot for Randorf, he interviewed me at a Canadiens' game back in 1992. he was asking all the Canadiens' fans why we still cheered for them even though we were out west. My answer was one of them picked and shown on CKVU Sportspage at night.

And what was your answer?

Told him that I had lived in Montreal, my dad season's tickets there, gotta stick with him.

One girl said because Russ Courtnall is the cutest player in the NHL

I have no doubt he will end up staying with RDS but at what price is what interests me.

TSN is going to announce the Habs Regional schedule in the coming days, if that was what you were referring to? Doesn't help us much on the west coast though.

24 millions per year is A LOT. I'm guessing it will go up, but not by much. Maybe 2-3M per, not more.

Wish shaw would get rds HD
painfully watching it in SD

It's only 2 more games, and I'm pretty sure there's just as many Leaf fans in this country as there is Habs fans

Guess none of you guys have heard of TSN-Montreal

Uh, it's been mentioned in this thread.

Just listening to TEAM 1040 and they have on Peter Loubardias of Sportsnet... well formerly of Sportsnet as it seems he was fired this summer after years of calling hockey for the network. Personally I found him horrible during play-by-play ever since I first heard him years ago but have to feel for the guy as he says he was devastated by the news and was given no reason for it though he suspects a couple of top management people felt his style wasn't to their liking.

Now let's hope that TSN doesn't pick him up... although I hope he finds a job somewhere.

Reminds me a little of the Paul Romanuk story where he was pushed into the #1 spot for TSN when Jim Hughson left the network. Romanuk was never really any good, he got better over time but still had a bit of an annoying voice. I think he left for greener pastures but last I heard he wasn't exactly doing much and I guess TSN wasn't interested in getting him back.

Ok, seriously? The leafs have 17 games on TSN while we have 16. Ya!... Those ****ing *******s at TSN are ALWAYS favoring the Leafs. BOYCOTT!

From the TSN website:

"Headlining the NHL ON TSN's Canadian team coverage during the regular season is 17 Toronto games along with 15 Montreal games, 10 games for Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, and five games for Winnipeg."

Have the idiots who run TSN not yet figured out that no one outside of the 416 area code wants to watch Burkie's Boys? Maybe they need to start another TSN channel: TSN-TO which will only be available in the GTA. Then they can fat-pack it with as much Leafs coverage as their hearts desire while leaving the old TSN that everyone else in the country watches free of their blue and white crapulence.

Have you not figured out over one-third the entire population of the country lives in Southern Ontario?

And the Leafs have many fans outside of that area.

Again, the devil is in the details. How many of those so-called "habs" telecasts are games against one of the other Canadian teams? If the Habs play the Nucks on a Saturday night (as they will this season) does it count as a Habs game, a Nucks game or both? The Habs may have 26 games to the Leafs 24 but how many of those games are against the Leafs?

For me the bottom line is this: if the Habs had failed to make the playoffs for 6 straight years, would they still be getting the lion's share of games the way the Leafs do? Because back in the late 90's when the Habs sucked their poor record was used as an excuse by the suits at HNIT for not showing them as much. But with the Leafs it doesn't matter how much they suck; they're always on.

The

The Leafs get HUGE ratings regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not. That's all networks care about. Their 30 second advertising rates are based on ratings, not NHL standings.

You're letting your hatred of the Leafs make you miss this very important point.

Just listening to TEAM 1040 and they have on Peter Loubardias of Sportsnet... well formerly of Sportsnet as it seems he was fired this summer after years of calling hockey for the network. Personally I found him horrible during play-by-play ever since I first heard him years ago but have to feel for the guy as he says he was devastated by the news and was given no reason for it though he suspects a couple of top management people felt his style wasn't to their liking.

Now let's hope that TSN doesn't pick him up... although I hope he finds a job somewhere.

Reminds me a little of the Paul Romanuk story where he was pushed into the #1 spot for TSN when Jim Hughson left the network. Romanuk was never really any good, he got better over time but still had a bit of an annoying voice. I think he left for greener pastures but last I heard he wasn't exactly doing much and I guess TSN wasn't interested in getting him back.

I believe that Romanuk now lives in England (and has been there for the past several years) Occasionally, he'll be a guest on one of the radio shows to talk about soccer or things going on in Europe but the last time I actually saw him doing hockey play-by-play was the Spengler Cup on TSN.

Back