• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Agreed , however in your opinion if the roles were reversed what`s the reaction ?

If a visible minority was on the show and made a remark about white people not buying poppies , I dont think you get this level of attention
It’s the “you people” dog whistle which had been amplified since we live in the age of Trump....I don’t think there’s very many who disagree with the message of sporting a poppy.

Also let’s not overlook why Cherry was canned, NHL viewership is decreasing big time and there has been a focus on attracting visible minorities, and Cherry targeted THE major market for HNIC viewership, combined with Labbat’s threatening to pull ad revenue since they sponsor Coach’s Corner.

I also suspect Sportsnet as rumored last summer did not can Cherry because they didn’t want to pay him out preferring & expecting he’d get himself canned and were waiting for that moment to pounce.....perfect storm.

Last edited:
Agreed , however in your opinion if the roles were reversed what`s the reaction ?

If a visible minority was on the show and made a remark about white people not buying poppies , I dont think you get this level of attention

Don Cherry has been offensive for decades. Hard to compare.

And you expected Cherry to use one of those 1000 better ways? There’s got to be a “Cherry discount”.

No expectation. No surprise.

As for the Cherry discount, it ran out ages ago.

Honestly, I don’t care. Barely watch any of the talking heads on tv

No expectation. No surprise.

As for the Cherry discount, it ran out ages ago.

Honestly, I don’t care. Barely watch any of the talking heads on tv

Me too. Haven’t seen a Coach’s Corner episode in years. I just watch the game, not the intermissions.

Don Cherry has been offensive for decades. Hard to compare.

Yeah the fire Jess Allen campaign is stupid. She is ignorant and uninformed re hockey parents and kids but it was not fireable. That said I wonder what the backlash would have been had she said she hated basketball because entitled black bball players picked on her.

Yeah the fire Jess Allen campaign is stupid. She is ignorant and uninformed re hockey parents and kids but it was not fireable. That said I wonder what the backlash would have been had she said she hated basketball because entitled black bball players picked on her.

You & I both know the answer to that.

They probably offered him a boatload of cash, and who knows, maybe less games?

But good for him. He's worth every penny he's going to get.

If Sportsnet was smart, which we all know isn't the case, they would put Cuthbert into the number one spot and find a suitable colour guy to replace Hughson and Simpson. I doubt this impacts the Habs broadcasts as we're likely stuck with Galley for the rest of eternity.

already cancel my subscription and noted is is because of this

there was not enough habs content as is

I thought there was more than enough Habs content....I also get it for Raptors and Vikings.

Back