• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
A lot to unpack in Chip’s column today. Waddell thinks negotiations with Necas are getting close. Speculation is a bridge deal, 2 years/$3 million AAV. He thinks they’ll settle with Lajoie before the arbitration hearing on Tuesday. I suspect a 2 way deal with a big guarantee will get it done. He also met with the Centennial Authority board today. The naming rights deal with PNC ends at the end of the month and thyre in “heavy negotiations” with multiple companies but only named PNC..

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Any news on the coaching staff? Maybe a new pp coach like we talked about in the play offs.
Nothing yet. They also have to fill a vacancy in Chicago, unless they’re going to promote Patrick Dwyer. He was Warsofsky’s assistant for the last 3 years, the first in Charlotte and the last 2 in Chicago. Bob Nardella seems to be the in-house guy in Chicago, he’s been an assistant there since the 2016-17 season, through 3 different affiliations.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It wouldn't shock me if they promote Dwyer in Chicago. He's well regarded in the organization and seems to be a natural fit in terms of personality. He's had three years on the AHL bench as second fiddle, so he's put in the time. Since the relationship with Vellucce went up in flames, the Canes have been leaning towards younger, cheaper guys who focus on instilling Carolina's systems as the first priority. They aren't looking for innovation. They're looking for "do what Rod does."

As for the Canes staff ... I'm not expecting anything to change. FANS were talking about changes, but I've heard absolutely nothing out of the organization to indicate that the team are thinking along those lines.

CanadaCanes

In all my years of supporting the Canes and attending the various equipment sales etc I have never saw the throngs like today. Was there at about 7:55 am and the line looked five miles long. I guess the EBay and resale pirates were in line all night long to grab the good stuff but it was slim pickings for many folks. Anyone else get any great treasures today? On the plus side the season ticket base apparently is as strong as ever!!!

StormChaserBH

First in line was around 7pm last night from what I heard, and I saw quite the crowd shot someone posted on Twitter from 3:30am. Craziness. I got there just after 8a, planning on an hour wait but knew it would be worse as I got close to the parking lot. Didn't get on the sales/arena floor until almost 10. I got some discounted hoodies for me & the fam, etc.., but in terms of gear I can use, I got the last good pair of gloves and what was probably the last right handed stick (Keane) (only after I went back later and saw that someone must have put one back because they were all (and most of the lefties) gone by the time I got in). It looked like half the people I saw leaving as I snaked completely around the parking lot 1 1/2 times were carrying 3, 4, 5 sticks.

ThinIce

In all my years of supporting the Canes and attending the various equipment sales etc I have never saw the throngs like today.
That's a good sign. Nothing like consecutive winning seasons to expand the fan base. Couldn't be there today.....I'm lapping up the sun and surf in Debordieu Beach, SC.

CanadaCanes

First in line was around 7pm last night from what I heard, and I saw quite the crowd shot someone posted on Twitter from 3:30am. Craziness. I got there just after 8a, planning on an hour wait but knew it would be worse as I got close to the parking lot. Didn't get on the sales/arena floor until almost 10. I got some discounted hoodies for me & the fam, etc.., but in terms of gear I can use, I got the last good pair of gloves and what was probably the last right handed stick (Keane) (only after I went back later and saw that someone must have put one back because they were all (and most of the lefties) gone by the time I got in). It looked like half the people I saw leaving as I snaked completely around the parking lot 1 1/2 times were carrying 3, 4, 5 sticks.
I agree Bill, all these youngsters walking out with four and five high end sticks made me chuckle about how times have changed…I use to get excited about one crappy old wood stick when I was a much younger man! To be in a season ticket line priority like that before 8am and be that far back just highlighted how times have changed!

cmaleski2

I suspect there was a bunch of folks looking for Trocheck, Nino, TDA, Stepan, Lorentz, Smith and Ian Cole jerseys. Lots of popular players turned over, lots of used jerseys to sell.