• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canes could bring him back at a lower number, they’ve done it before. They’re going to need a 3rd minor league goalie for Norfolk and/or to cover Chicago if/when either of Koochie or Makiniemi are recalled/injured.
I guess. It would be cheaper to bring back Warm. And if it's a depth AHL keeper they want, then they'll likely defer to what Chicago's front office wants to do.

The Canes could bring him back at a lower number, they’ve done it before. They’re going to need a 3rd minor league goalie for Norfolk and/or to cover Chicago if/when either of Koochie or Makiniemi are recalled/injured.
This is true, they can LaFontaine as UFA now at the NHL minimum on a 2 way if they wanted to. Or they can go find someone else to be the #5/6 goalie and sign them to the same minimum terms.

I doubt we will bring back LaFontaine. I know the circumstances we threw him into were pretty darn challenging, but he's going to be 25 years old and didn't play well at really any level last season.

LeBrun says that he believes the Canes have kicked the tires on Brent Burns and Jeff Petry as replacements for TDA. Burns is under contract for 3 more years with a $8 million cap hit, but his actuals are lower, $3 million base salary, a $3.5 million SB this year and $2 million each of the next 2. He’ll also be 38 in March. Petry has 3 years at $6.25 million but his actuals are higher for the next 2 years before dropping, $4.5 million salary, $3 million SB then $3 + 2 in the 3rd year. He’ll be 35 in December.

LeBrun says that he believes the Canes have kicked the tires on Brent Burns and Jeff Petry as replacements for TDA. Burns is under contract for 3 more years with a $8 million cap hit, but his actuals are lower, $3 million base salary, a $3.5 million SB this year and $2 million each of the next 2. He’ll also be 38 in March. Petry has 3 years at $6.25 million but his actuals are higher for the next 2 years before dropping, $4.5 million salary, $3 million SB then $3 + 2 in the 3rd year. He’ll be 35 in December.
Petry was a train wreck along with the entire Montreal team last year. But was that just the team or is that the beginning of a steep decline?

I mean, sure if there is retention. Just how willing is San Jose to move Burns? How willing is Burns to accept a trade to the Canes? His no trade has him listing THREE teams he can be traded to every July 1st, I suspect the Canes are not on that list (that isn't a probably if Burns is willing to be traded to the Canes of course).

Its hard to get too excited because you hear that the Canes kick the tires on every single option. Hard to tell how close any might or might not get. At least you know that the Canes have backup plans for all scenarios. And its not just 1 backup plan, its plan B, C, D, E....

But again, this is what people who decry the Canes offseason approaches need to remember. The Canes put a value on a player, and rarely if ever will be willing to exceed that value in terms of a contract. However, that doesn't mean that role that the player had on our roster who is on his way out is immediately going to be turned over to a 'lesser' player in the effort to save a buck.

Waddell has said numerous times that a lot of teams are making good players available via trades so the Canes are not all that worried if we lose players to free agency. Petry or Burns as a replacement for TDA is a perfect example of that....

Lot of fans don't want to hear about that. They just see TDA, 2 years $10 million, and 'Canes offers were way less than that and Tony was willing to take less than $5 million on a 1 year deal with the Canes' and immediately jump to "Canes are stupid'. Would you rather pay TDA 1 year, at, say $4 million, or Brett Burns, with salary retained, maybe $6 million AAV (or $4 million), and $4 million (less?) actual cash for the next 3 years?

I appreciate TDA and what he can do out there, but give me an aging Brett Burns for similar terms instead please (every time).

Last edited:
Burns was actually pretty good last season after being pretty much dogcrap for two years, and the actual payout isn't that bad. The bigger problem is the cap hit, and the gamble on getting close to a full season out of his aging legs. San Jose would need to be motivated enough to retain the max to make the cap hit fit. No way Carolina can carry an $8 million AAV for a single player. Petry? No. I never really liked him even when he was going well. I just don't think he fits the system here.

Oh ... and don't forget that either of them would be yet another bandaid where you'd get one, maybe two seasons of service. I get that the front office here is cool with that, but it's a huge risk to keep starting over with your top PP QB every couple of years.

it's a huge risk to keep starting over with your top PP QB every couple of years.
Well it is if you have that nailed down and throw it away I guess.

I propose that Dougie at his current contract wasn’t the answer and that they didn’t think TDA was what they wanted either. Both being bigger risks than coming up with a different plan. Dougie not so much a risk so much as a sure thing to not be able to achieve our goal(s). Way too much for what he brings. I think TDA’s play against the Rangers was decisive for the management. Not only did he lose his cool but he was largely ineffective.

I get all that, but finding a guy that works in that role is nowhere near as easy as they've made it look. I present Faulk for an example ... or Gardiner ... or any of the 20 guys they've cycled through the 2nd PP point role. Of all the roles on the team to choose to cycle through and play it cheap, that one is probably the most tricky. It's do-able but it's a tightrope act.

I get that but I don’t think TDA is the answer and at 9m for however long neither was Dougie. I’m guessing TDA runs into issues in Philly. When you’re supposed to be on your best behavior and illustrating that you can control your temper you can’t have an on ice temper tantrum like TDA did against the rangers. Especially when you are suspect defensively. So yeah they can both fill that PP QB role but they bring other issues that make that not possible. For the Canes to achieve their goals anyway.

When has ‘best behavior’ and ‘controlling your temper’ ever been used to describe anything/anyone in Philadelphia? We are talking about the Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, right? Not Philadelphia, Mississippi population 7,118.

I get that but I don’t think TDA is the answer and at 9m for however long neither was Dougie. I’m guessing TDA runs into issues in Philly. When you’re supposed to be on your best behavior and illustrating that you can control your temper you can’t have an on ice temper tantrum like TDA did against the rangers. Especially when you are suspect defensively. So yeah they can both fill that PP QB role but they bring other issues that make that not possible. For the Canes to achieve their goals anyway.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just trying to point out how hard the path the Canes have set out for themselves actually is. I'm NOT arguing in favor of either Dougie or DeAngelo. That stuff's water under the bridge at this point. Defense-able choices were made, and I'm OK with them. I just think it's worth contemplating just how hard it is to do this two summers in a row ... while trying to contend. It's a freaking nightmare.

Big money AHL salary and a 1 way deal in 2023-24. Nice business.
I mean, I guess. They may end up regretting the one way part of that paycheck since Noesen showed me absolutely nothing of an NHL-level game in his call up ... albeit brief.

When has ‘best behavior’ and ‘controlling your temper’ ever been used to describe anything/anyone in Philadelphia? We are talking about the Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, right? Not Philadelphia, Mississippi population 7,118.
Under Torts, no less. It can't possibly go wrong, can it? *sarcasm font applied*

Jim

Right...but who else from the Sharks?
I'd guess that the Sharks' contributions end at Burns and perhaps a bit of salary retention just to bring the cap hit down ... depending on what goes the other way. Maybe a pick. Carolina loves a mid-rounder after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back