• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's been a hot minute since the Canes have had a name brand, household name kind of player ... or at least since they've had one that wasn't either completely polarizing like Dougie and Freddie or simply notorious like DeAngelo.

A lot to unpack in Chip’s column today. Waddell thinks negotiations with Necas are getting close. Speculation is a bridge deal, 2 years/$3 million AAV. He thinks they’ll settle with Lajoie before the arbitration hearing on Tuesday. I suspect a 2 way deal with a big guarantee will get it done. He also met with the Centennial Authority board today. The naming rights deal with PNC ends at the end of the month and thyre in “heavy negotiations” with multiple companies but only named PNC..

Any news on the coaching staff? Maybe a new pp coach like we talked about in the play offs.
Nothing yet. They also have to fill a vacancy in Chicago, unless they’re going to promote Patrick Dwyer. He was Warsofsky’s assistant for the last 3 years, the first in Charlotte and the last 2 in Chicago. Bob Nardella seems to be the in-house guy in Chicago, he’s been an assistant there since the 2016-17 season, through 3 different affiliations.

It wouldn't shock me if they promote Dwyer in Chicago. He's well regarded in the organization and seems to be a natural fit in terms of personality. He's had three years on the AHL bench as second fiddle, so he's put in the time. Since the relationship with Vellucce went up in flames, the Canes have been leaning towards younger, cheaper guys who focus on instilling Carolina's systems as the first priority. They aren't looking for innovation. They're looking for "do what Rod does."

As for the Canes staff ... I'm not expecting anything to change. FANS were talking about changes, but I've heard absolutely nothing out of the organization to indicate that the team are thinking along those lines.

In all my years of supporting the Canes and attending the various equipment sales etc I have never saw the throngs like today. Was there at about 7:55 am and the line looked five miles long. I guess the EBay and resale pirates were in line all night long to grab the good stuff but it was slim pickings for many folks. Anyone else get any great treasures today? On the plus side the season ticket base apparently is as strong as ever!!!

First in line was around 7pm last night from what I heard, and I saw quite the crowd shot someone posted on Twitter from 3:30am. Craziness. I got there just after 8a, planning on an hour wait but knew it would be worse as I got close to the parking lot. Didn't get on the sales/arena floor until almost 10. I got some discounted hoodies for me & the fam, etc.., but in terms of gear I can use, I got the last good pair of gloves and what was probably the last right handed stick (Keane) (only after I went back later and saw that someone must have put one back because they were all (and most of the lefties) gone by the time I got in). It looked like half the people I saw leaving as I snaked completely around the parking lot 1 1/2 times were carrying 3, 4, 5 sticks.

In all my years of supporting the Canes and attending the various equipment sales etc I have never saw the throngs like today.
That's a good sign. Nothing like consecutive winning seasons to expand the fan base. Couldn't be there today.....I'm lapping up the sun and surf in Debordieu Beach, SC.

First in line was around 7pm last night from what I heard, and I saw quite the crowd shot someone posted on Twitter from 3:30am. Craziness. I got there just after 8a, planning on an hour wait but knew it would be worse as I got close to the parking lot. Didn't get on the sales/arena floor until almost 10. I got some discounted hoodies for me & the fam, etc.., but in terms of gear I can use, I got the last good pair of gloves and what was probably the last right handed stick (Keane) (only after I went back later and saw that someone must have put one back because they were all (and most of the lefties) gone by the time I got in). It looked like half the people I saw leaving as I snaked completely around the parking lot 1 1/2 times were carrying 3, 4, 5 sticks.
I agree Bill, all these youngsters walking out with four and five high end sticks made me chuckle about how times have changed…I use to get excited about one crappy old wood stick when I was a much younger man! To be in a season ticket line priority like that before 8am and be that far back just highlighted how times have changed!

I suspect there was a bunch of folks looking for Trocheck, Nino, TDA, Stepan, Lorentz, Smith and Ian Cole jerseys. Lots of popular players turned over, lots of used jerseys to sell.

The much talked about 48 hour buyout window is now open for the Canes. Can we even buy out Jake Gardiner? Stay tuned....

We are somewhere around $1.1 million over the cap assuming Necas really comes in at $3 million AAV. That would be with 12 forwards and 8 Dmen. If we wanted to have 13 forwards by adding Jack Drury and keeping Lane Pederson around that would bring us to around $2 million over.
Chatfield has a 2 way for this season, so he could be sent back down, but that only frees up $762,500. An Ethan Bear trade with no NHL obligations coming back gets us under the cap. Burying Jake Gardiner in Chicago frees up $1.125 million in cap space. That actually would get us just barely under the cap with Necas signed at $3 million AAV, but it would leave us zero room to fit Jack Drury on the roster, even if we sent Lane Pederson to the minors (we would have to send Pederson and Chatfield down to make enough room for Jack Drury, which would leave us with just 12 forwards and 6 Dmen on the roster).

Of course, the Canes don't need to figure this all out until the date that they have to be under the cap, which isn't until much closer to the season opener. But if we are even able to buy out Gardiner, we have until tomorrow to do so. A Gardiner buyout would come with only a $1,083,334 cap hit this season, so it frees up almost $3 million in cap space (the buyout cap hit would be $1,483,334 for NEXT season).

You'd have to imagine they're actively shopping a right side D and will make a call based on where that ends up. No idea if Gardiner is even eligible for being bought out, but teams seem to get away with worse all the time. We'll see.

The Canes are not the only club over the cap and sitting with far too many defensemen on their current roster...Calgary currently has 8 guys on D and I believe Toronto also has 8 once the restricted Rasmus Sandin gets signed and they are trying to move right shot D Justin Holl. Calgary and Toronto are both apparently shopping D to shed some salary.

A Gardiner buyout or an Ethan Bear trade out of Carolina...what makes more sense hockey wise and budget wise? I would love a healthy Gardiner in the top 6 but I'm not sure if a healthy Gardiner will ever be back to play again and he is a bit of an expensive luxury to have a guy making $4.25m on your third pair. Bear was not anything special a year ago and I cannot see him turning around his game that much to make much a difference here.

Last edited:
I mean, if everything stays like it is right now then when camp opens Bear would be competing with both Chatfield and Coghlin for the 3rd RD spot. And he's on a contract that pays him more than both of them put together. The easy logic is that he gets moved to make way for cheaper guys who do the same thing. As of today, Gardiner is your only real option at LD in that third pairing and your best option as a 2PP point man ... presuming he's healthy. He's too expensive for that role, but he's only got one year left on that deal, so at least the end game is certain. If he survives the day without being bought out, I don't see a trade market for Gardiner so you've got to assume he's going to be on the roster when camp opens and plan the rest of the budget accordingly. Which would also put pressure on moving Bear.

It looked like half the people I saw leaving as I snaked completely around the parking lot 1 1/2 times were carrying 3, 4, 5 sticks.
Bunch of people reselling. One person who moderates a Canes facebook equipment group had 4-5 sticks up for sale within a couple hours, between $50 and $300 profit on each.
'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back