• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Training Camp Thread

Can't reply in the offseason thread any longer, but I could probably hit JB's house w/ a potato mortar from where we lived on Ravnehurst when we moved here.
Go Canes.

What's the deal on the Oct. 1 preseason game vs FLA? The game is not listed for ticket purchase. Is this an STM thing?

Can't reply in the offseason thread any longer, but I could probably hit JB's house w/ a potato mortar from where we lived on Ravnehurst when we moved here.
Go Canes.
A couple of teenaged kids over on Wingfoot Dr built compressed air potato guns back during early pandemic lockdown and proceeded to cause some chaos. I heavily identified with those little miscreants.

What's the deal on the Oct. 1 preseason game vs FLA? The game is not listed for ticket purchase. Is this an STM thing?
Isn't that the Carnival/Open House game? It's not in the STM package either. I'm gonna be out of town either way, so I haven't bothered to check.

A couple of teenaged kids over on Wingfoot Dr built compressed air potato guns back during early pandemic lockdown and proceeded to cause some chaos. I heavily identified with those little miscreants.
amazing what white rain hairspray could do for a nice spud.

Isn't that the Carnival/Open House game? It's not in the STM package either. I'm gonna be out of town either way, so I haven't bothered to check.
Was thinking it might be that, but I don't see it mentioned on the Canes website. But I might not be looking in the right place.

Was thinking it might be that, but I don't see it mentioned on the Canes website. But I might not be looking in the right place.
They sent out STM emails today, with a link for us to claim tickets for the 10/1 game against the Panthers. It is the "canes Kickoff" game with the festival and all that stuff. It's a free game with general admission seating and I'm not going so anybody who isn't a STM who wants tix ... let me know. I can claim up to 6 tickets and transfer them.

Not to take this discussion totally off the rails, BUT; We were into golf ball mortars, tennis ball cannons, & built long rifle type bottle rocket launchers out of 2x4s and 1/2" conduit. Our BB gun wars were epic. A buddy had two red riders duct taped together with the triggers rigged to fire two BBs simultaneously. Roman candle battles were reserved for night time at the baseball fields. It's never really fun until somebody gets hurt. Surprisingly, nobody ever got their eye put out. Burns, blood blisters, and golf ball wounds were a daily occurrence. Unsupervised youth can be a wonderful thing.

I return you to the training camp thread.

Jim

Ah, the redneck double-barreled BB gun. Yes. We cobbled together the Crossman version back in the day, although in my youth we did most of our miscreant action on an old farm so anything involving fire or sparks was off limits. Otherwise we'd have burned West Raleigh down. Tell ya what though ... an old tennis ball slit open, filled with dirt and rocks and then taped back together leaves a heck of a welt.

Happy first day of camp! Per various reports, the first group on the ice is the NHL players and reasonable contenders and it includes Stepan and de Haan. Aho had Turbo and Jarvis on his wings, KK had Necas and Svech, Stastny slid into Nino’s spot on Staal’s line. Slavin/Burns, Skjei/Pesce, Coglan/Chatfield. Dzingel, Pederson and Lajoie are in the 2nd group.

Walt Ruff tweeted that Cavan Fitzgerald will not be at camp due to injury. Ryan Suzuki will be skating individually in a non-contact jersey.

Happy first day of camp! Per various reports, the first group on the ice is the NHL players and reasonable contenders and it includes Stepan and de Haan. Aho had Turbo and Jarvis on his wings, KK had Necas and Svech, Stastny slid into Nino’s spot on Staal’s line. Slavin/Burns, Skjei/Pesce, Coglan/Chatfield. Dzingel, Pederson and Lajoie are in the 2nd group.

Walt Ruff tweeted that Cavan Fitzgerald will not be at camp due to injury. Ryan Suzuki will be skating individually in a non-contact jersey.
Yeah, that all makes sense ... other than the Coglan/Chatfield paring. I'm not a fan of that. I still figure there's a move coming on the left side of the D, unless de Haan can claw his way into the scheme.

Ah, the redneck double-barreled BB gun. Yes. We cobbled together the Crossman version back in the day, although in my youth we did most of our miscreant action on an old farm so anything involving fire or sparks was off limits. Otherwise we'd have burned West Raleigh down. Tell ya what though ... an old tennis ball slit open, filled with dirt and rocks and then taped back together leaves a heck of a welt.
My best friend in NY and I had a fight one day (we seemed to enjoy wailing on each other) and I was trotting off, turned around to see what he was doing as a dirt clod hit me in the head. All of a sudden, I have rivers of blood pouring out of my noggin. Dirt clod had a big ole rock in it.

Too bad it sounds like practices are closed at PNC and only open for the few days they go over to WCC/Invisalign, I'm playing hooky tomorrow and was thinking about heading out there in the morning :(
Practices and morning skates during training camp will be open to the media, and all skates held at Invisalign Arena will also be open to the public.

My best friend in NY and I had a fight one day (we seemed to enjoy wailing on each other) and I was trotting off, turned around to see what he was doing as a dirt clod hit me in the head. All of a sudden, I have rivers of blood pouring out of my noggin. Dirt clod had a big ole rock in it.
Yup, the dirt clod with the rock is the nuclear option. Had a huge red clay hill behind our house and taking that bad boy from my neighbor’s kid always risked catching one of those nuggets in the head. And yes, we all survived, right?

Yeah. It was different back in the day. I lost the last of my baby teeth to the butt end of one of those redneck BB gun setups and got my first stitches from a gash from a massive black walnut shell that my best friend's older brother launched into the back of my head with a giant slingshot. It was real Lord of the Flies stuff, growing up in the late 60s and early 70s.

Back