• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Jake Allen signed to 2 year contract extension @ $2,875M AAV - Starting in 2021-22

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
Yeah, I agree, his numbers are good as a backup, and he's being paid accordingly.

My comment was directed a Sal who described the deal as "below market". I think it's fair market because Allen is not a starter.

CH1

huh?

his highs are better than price and his lows are better than price

if you're going to use Price's numbers as a barometer, then every goalie in the league deserves a 100% raise -- stack!.

worm

Yeah, I agree, his numbers are good as a backup, and he's being paid accordingly.

My comment was directed a Sal who described the deal as "below market". I think it's fair market because Allen is not a starter.
fair enough

if price was at market value nobody would care about the backup making almost 3m

CH1

fair enough

if price was at market value nobody would care about the backup making almost 3m

I don't mind Allen's contract; just didn't agree with Sal who described it as "below market"

veteran backups will get paid in today's game where the starters are being load managed -- the only other option is to take a flyer on a rookie or reclamation project but there is no way that Bergevin was going to risk being burned again...

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
stuck with him in the minors
It's still money and don't think Molson isn't telling him to not spend unnecessarily in the covid era.

It's not a stretch to have multiple reasons for a signing and I'm positive this is one. If he qualifies McNiven and exposes him anyway then I'm wrong and he signed Allen to just be a backup. If Allen is excluded I'm not wrong. We shall see what happens.

GGpX

Random thought, what if Allen sucks here?

Then what? Seattle's not going to take him if he sucks, they'll have their pick of the litter across the league if they want a goalie.

I don't really get this. If Allen was good this upcoming season, then maybe. But a two year extension right away?

We shall see...

Habsy

He could very well suck however with the size of that D in front of him? I'm betting he'll be an upgrade over Kiniemi

GGpX

There's no doubt in my mind he'll be better than Kinkaid, but the defense isn't all that different from what we had last year and we weren't very good defensively.

Mete & Ouellet replaced by Romanov & Edmundson. That's a clear upgrade, sure, but it's not like we replaced those two with studs.

Maybe being a bigger overall team will help, but I'm not sure there's going to be a world of difference.

CH1

Random thought, what if Allen sucks here?

Then what? Seattle's not going to take him if he sucks, they'll have their pick of the litter across the league if they want a goalie.

I don't really get this. If Allen was good this upcoming season, then maybe. But a two year extension right away?

We shall see...

That's what puzzles me as well. Goaltenders are not that rare.

Habsy

There's no doubt in my mind he'll be better than Kinkaid, but the defense isn't all that different from what we had last year and we weren't very good defensively.

Mete & Ouellet replaced by Romanov & Edmundson. That's a clear upgrade, sure, but it's not like we replaced those two with studs.

Maybe being a bigger overall team will help, but I'm not sure there's going to be a world of difference.
As long as they really commit to Julien's system? It's going to be stiffling.