• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

JULIEN FIRED! DOM DUCHARME INTERIM HC.

makes sense...this is MB's version of a "very good" team, the result of years of great trading and shrewd cap management on his part.

If the team doesn't produce, MB is gone. His contract is up at the end of next year; they either extend him or let him go this summer
Can’t have a lame duck GM in charge.

He has never shown that he mortgaged the future in deals

Never built for future success but never threw away picks or moved top prospects ( not that he had them years ago)
But he has never been in a situation where he’s literally fighting to save his income for the following years, which he would be in as a lame duck GM next year. He received his current extension almost two years before his original contract was set to expire.

I think MB might trade one of our many D-men prospects at the deadline, but I don’t think he’s going to do anything crazy.

I think MB might trade one of our many D-men prospects at the deadline, but I don’t think he’s going to do anything crazy.
Not this year. But if he was brought next season without an extension . . you never know. That's why it won't happen.

Not this year. But if he was brought next season without an extension . . you never know. That's why it won't happen.

exactly... that’s why I said he’ll either be extended or fired... it’s very rare for a GM, in any sport, to operate within a lame duck status

His window was the year we went to the conference finals. That team needing just a little more scoring and maybe one more solid D at the deadline. He did barely anything. Even so, had Price not been injured they probably go to lose the final to LA.

His window was the year we went to the conference finals. That team needing just a little more scoring and maybe one more solid D at the deadline. He did barely anything. Even so, had Price not been injured they probably go to lose the final to LA.

Really? Because he had the biggest splash at the deadline by acquiring Vanek. He also added Weise and Weaver, both of which were useful in the playoffs.

Yes, that’s why I inserted “MB” in parentheses. Also, I said that MB told this to Waite WHEN he was telling Waite he’s been fired, so he had to have been referring to himself as the “next one to walk the plank.”
Ahhh that makes sense now, no outside hire, all contracts limited to end of this season etc.

MB has always repeatedly said regardless of whether he’s on the hot seat or not, he will always do what’s best for the org / team, including never selling the farm to save himself.

One thing to say it, another when faced with the reality of it...

BTW - found out today that GMs who are able to stay employed in that capacity for minimum of 10-years in the NHL are eligible for significant profit sharing bump up as part of their pensions.

It is weird, however, that MB would tell Waite that he’s next on the firing line so maybe Waite concocted that as a way to get back at MB. If not, MB is pretty dumb for telling Waite. MB can’t be happy that Waite has gone public with their conversation . . . although Waite likely wasn’t happy about being fired in the middle of a game.

Last edited:
the "middle of the game" firing is a little odd -- I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't take care of that business after the game or early the next day

“Waitegate”

The part about MB telling Waite he’s next is a little hard to believe. This is starting the feel like the end of Pierre Gauthier’s tenure here.

we were never going to the finals

“Waitegate”

The part about MB telling Waite he’s next is a little hard to believe. This is starting the feel like the end of Pierre Gauthier’s tenure here.
I don't think its too weird, the two were probably very chummy after working together for so long. So the candidness was either genuine or just something made up to commiserate with Waite. The other surprise about the interview was much personal info he made public about Price. For example how Price is not the same goalie because of nagging injuries, and how Price admitted that his body language is poor and needs work (comes across as too nonchalant).

Back